Chapter 24

"Tell us about how practice went." Tooth says. I lean against the banister next to Bunny. "Well-" "I had her practice by fighting me," Bunny says. This seems to get everybody's attention. "And it wasn't that interesting until the end when I threw one of my boomerangs at her and she made a type of sheild thing." North looks at me with a suprised expression. I nod to confirm what Bunny said. Then North picks up Jack, Tooth and Sandy in his arms and heads towards the stairs. Bunny and I just stand there. North turns to us.

"Come, we are going to practice." He says then turns back around. Bunny and I follow him to the practice room. We walk inside and North drops Jack, Sandy and Tooth. Jack groans in pain as he gets up off the ground. "You know, North, it would've been alot simpler if you just told us to come here." He says. North ignores him and pulls him to a spot four yards away from me. "Jack, you are fighting her first." He says then he walks past me and over to a spot some yards away from me. I turn to the others. "Aw, come on, North. I've had enough practicing for today. Can't I just-" Something cold hits me in the back. I spin around and see Jack grinning.

"You asked for it, Frost." I say. I shoot a few beams at him and he ducks. He stands back up. I don't give him a chance to really do anything because I start shooting more beams at him. A few manage to hit him. Then it seems like he suddenly became angry and he shoots a ton of ice at me. I quickly form a tight shield around me. The ice continually pounds against my shield for several seconds and I reaIize that I can't keep the shield around me forever. But Jack can't keep this up for very long either. Then, at that moment, the constant flow of ice hitting my shield stops.

I look up and see Jack standing there, leaning on his staff, looking suprised. I make the shield disappear and Jack stands up straight. Then suddenly, another wave of ice is headed for me. I wasn't prepared for this at all. The ice hits me and I fly backwards. I hit the wall with a thud and slump to my knees. I look up. Jack has a shocked expression, so do the others. I get up as Jack begins to run towards me. Revenge is needed in this situation. I shove my hands out in front of me and there's a burst of green light. A beam shoots towards Jack.

It seems like it's growing in size. Jack has stopped. When the beam reaches him, it's become a wave of pain, similar to his huge wave of ice. It hits him, but he's formed an ice barrier around him, so he's protected from more pain. After a few seconds, I've stopped shooting at him. Jack's barrier disappears and he stands there. Then I run at him and tackle him to the ground. We wrestle on the ground for a few seconds. I manage to pin Jack to the ground. He looks up at me. "Jack Frost, beaten by a girl. How amazing." I say and get up.

I turn and walk back towards the others. "So, who's next?" I ask, knowing North would want me to fight all of them. It's silent for a few seconds as Jack walks over to us. "I'll do it." Bunny says, stepping forward. I nod and take my place. I stand, waiting for Bunny. I start messing around with my powers. I had intended on producing a ball of light, but instead, a dagger formed. An actual real dagger. The only thing that's different is the color. It's green. I could use these against Pitch. He'll have his black sand, I'll have my daggers.

Bunny takes his place and pulls out one of his boomerangs. Maybe I can practice with my daggers right now. I look down at it. I grip the handle tightly in my hand and look up at Bunny. He doesn't seem to notice the dagger in my hand as he nods his head, indicating that he's ready to start. I stand there for a second. Then I throw the dagger. It spirals towards Bunny. He has a shocked expression on his face. He ducks and lays flat on the floor. The dagger flies past him and lodges into the wall. He glances over his shoulder at it.

"Are you trying to kill me now?" He shouts as he gets up off the ground. "No, just thought that I'd test it out." I call back. "Jess, what are you talking about?" North asks. I form another dagger and turn around. I hold it up for them to see. "This." I say. North takes the dagger from me. "In some cases, these will be useful." He says, studying it. Then he puts the dagger in his pocket and says, "This is not one of those times when you should use them, though." "Yeah, I know. I just had to test it out." I say. "Are we goin' to get back to practicing now?" I hear Bunny shout.

I turn back around and shoot a beam at him, which grows into a large wave like the one I made before. He jumps out of the way and I stop shooting the wave at him. He throws one of his boomerangs at me. I side-step out of the way and shoot a ball of light at him. He steps to his right. I'm very tempted to use a dagger, just to freak Bunny out, but I promised North. Well, technically I didn't promise, but I'm not going to do it anyway. Bunny hurls his boomerang at me again and I step off to the other side. The boomerang flies past me and back to Bunny.

"Okay," North's voice booms. I turn around to face him and the others. Bunny joins me. "Sandy, you go." North instructs. Sandy nods and floats away to his place. Bunny joins the others and I turn back around. Sandy throws sand at me and I dodge it. I shoot a beam at him, which he dodges. My practice with Sandy is pretty much just him dodging what I throw or shoot and me dodging what he throws or shoots. Sandy's the one that declared our practice over. I follow in his lead. "Well, that was interesting." North says. "Now, Tooth, you go." He says. "For you two, you'll pretty much be doing hand-to-hand combat." Bunny says. "Right." North says.

Tooth flies past me and I turn around. She stands a few feet away from me. Then she throws a punch and I duck. I'm really lost. I have no idea wha-

A sharp pain erupts through my jaw and I realize what exactly happened. Tooth punched me. I look up at her and see that she has her hands over her mouth. "Oh my gosh, Jess, I'm so sorry." She says, placing her hand on my shoulder. "No, it's good. I'm okay." I say cooly, trying not to let the pain show. "Um, I think that's enough practicing for today. What do ya say, North?" Bunny says. "Yes, I believe you are right, Bunny. For the few hours before dinner, you all may do whatever you wish to." North says. We all leave the practice room and head up the stairs.

North walks off to his office, the rest of us stand silently in the main room. Then Bunny turns to Tooth. "Why'd ya punch her?" He asks, motioning to me with his hand. "It was an accident, you guys know that!" Tooth says. "Tooth, really, why'd you punch her?" Jack asks. Well, Tooth didn't- Sandy starts to sign but Tooth interrupts. "It was an accident." She says again. "Guys, really, do think Tooth would purposely punch me in the face? I mean, come on, she's Tooth for pie's sake. She couldn't hurt a fly even if she wanted to." I say. Sandy nods in agreement.

"Well, I don't know. I guess you're right." Bunny says. I nod, agreeing with his statement. "Let's just enjoy these few hours before dinner. I don't see how complicated that is." I say. Sandy and I walk off to the couch and sit down. The others are still standing where they were, well, except for Tooth. She's floating where she was. Sandy and I soon engage in a heated conversation about what type of pie is better: Pumpkin or apple. I think pumpkin is way better than apple.