Chapter 15

Last night, when North was asleep, I went into his office and stole a couple of snow globes. I want to surprise Jaime, and Jack. I slip on my shoes and put on my sweater. I stick the snow globes in my pocket and sneak over to Jack's room. I woke up early enough to be able to pull this off. We'll be back in time for breakfast. I step into Jack's room. I walk over to the bed and shake him awake.

"Jess? What're you-"

"Be quiet." I say and pull out a snow globe. Jack doesn't seem to notice as he's staring at the ceiling right now. I throw the snow globe and it becomes a portal. I grab Jack's arm and step through. We arrive in Jamie's backyard.

"What-" I put my hand over Jack's mouth.

"I told you to be quiet," I whisper. "Now, close your eyes."

He does so and I fly up to Jamie's window, holding onto Jack's arm. I open the window and step inside. I help Jack inside to make sure he doesn't hit his head or something. He floats to the ground.

"Stay here," I whisper. I walk over to Jamie's bed. I shake Jamie awake. Before he can see me, I duck and lay flat on the floor by his bed.

"Jack!" I hear him say.

I smile to myself as I get up. Jack quickly opens his eyes to see Jamie running towards him. I stand by Jamie's bed, watching. Jack is taken by surprise as Jamie wraps his arms around him. Jack looks at me as he returns the gesture. I put my index finger to my lips, telling him to be quiet.

Jamie needs to know that it wasn't my idea, that it was Jack's caring heart that brought him here. I slip out of Jamie's room and cross the hall to Sophie's. I silently open her window and float out. I close the window and head up to the roof. I sit there, waiting for Jack. It takes longer than I expected for him to finish talking to Jamie, but I can understand why. Jamie thought Jack was dead, and when he saw him here, he got all excited and stuff.

Jack sits next to me on the roof. "Thanks for doing this for me."

"It wasn't just for you. Jamie needed this, too," I say. I look over at Jack, who's smiling. I can't help but smile as well.

I pull out the other snow globe and hand it to him. "You stole the snow globes out of North's office, didn't you?" he says.

"Yep." I say, smiling even bigger now.

Jack and I burst out laughing. After we regain our breath, Jack says, "I guess we better go back."

"Yeah, I guess so." I say.

Jack shakes the snow globe, whispers our destination, and throws it. He grabs my arm and steps through the portal. We stand in Jack's room. "I want to thank you again, for doing that, Jess," Jack says.

"We're supposed to be there for each other, right? That's what Guardians do," I say and walk towards the door.

Jack stops me by grabbing my arm. He pulls me towards him and kisses me. Then he pulls away. "See you at breakfast," he says, smiling.

I turn and walk out of his room. I get back to my room and climb into the bed. Those same questions resurface. Do we like each other or not? I spend a few minutes thinking about this before sleep overcomes me.

*{{Later that morning}}*

I get out of bed and make my way to the dining hall. I somehow always end up being the last one to get there. I take a seat in my usual spot between Sandy and Jack. I grab two pancakes and a watermelon slice, like I do every morning, and put them on my plate.

"So, North, what are we doing today?" Tooth asks.

"I do not know," North says.

"Another 'do nothing' day," Bunny says. I cut up my pancakes and start eating.