Chapter 11

Jack hangs upside down from one of the beams that supports the ceiling. I roll my eyes. Typical Jack Frost. I fly out of the large window and up into the sky, high above the work shop. I have no particular reason for coming out here, I just felt like I should. I randomly shoot a beam out of my hand. Now wouldn't be a bad time to start practicing. I shoot another beam in the same direction. As I continue to practice, I get into it more, like this is actually real.

"Jess-" I spin around and shoot a beam. That's when I realize it was Jack who I shot.

"Jack, I'm so sorry." I say, flying towards him.

"No, it's good." he says, but I can hear the pain in his voice. "Why are you up here anyway?" he asks me after a second.

I shrug. "I don't know, I just thought I should be." I say.

Then a thought comes to me. I smile on the inside. I make myself stop flying and fall through the clouds that were under me.

"Jess!" Jack shouts.

I stop myself by making myself float. He sees me and gets a frustrated look on his face.

"What the heck? You freaked me out!" he says.

"I guess you're not the only Guardian of Fun." I say and fly back to the work shop.

*{{4 hours later}}*

I sit on the roof, thinking, watching the setting sun. Jack joins me.

"North wants us inside. He says it's important." he says.

I follow Jack inside and into the main room of the work shop. North is leaning on a table, looking over a map.

"What's the problem?" I ask.

North turns to me. "Pitch has been spotted."

"Where?" Tooth asks.

"In Burgess."

Jamie's there. Him, his sister, and his friends. Jack seems to get the same thought that I do. "We have to get there. Jamie and his friends are there!" he says.

North pulls out a snow globe. Jack snatches it and does the normal stuff you need to do to get it to work. When it becomes a portal, Jack darts through. I follow him. I look around and notice that the sun has set.

"So, you finally made it." I hear Pitch say. He emerges from the dark alley in front of us.

"What do you want, Pitch?" Jack says.

"Nothing." Pitch says, casually. Then he grins wickedly and raises his arms. Nightmare's appear everywhere around us. "Now," he says. "If you don't mind, I'm going to check on our dear friend Jamie." He disappears.

Jack looks at North. "You two go. We'll stay here." North says.

Jack and I take off towards Jamie's house. About half way there, we run into Pitch. Jack shoots an ice bolt at him. He quickly dodges it.

"You don't understand anything, do you, Jack?" We look up and see him standing on the roof of a building. We fly up there. "I can't be beaten, Jack!"

I squeeze my eyes shut as an image and a headache come to me. Pitch grabs Jamie, the only one who I have left, and yanks him from my grip. "Jamie!" I scream. Then there's blackness and I see Jack standing there in front of me. "Jack..." I say. Something about him seems different. Then the others appear next to him. They all seem different. North walks up to me. "What-" I feel a pain in my chest as North steps back. I notice a dark liquid on one of his swords. Jack smiles wickedly. I look down and see that blood stains my shirt. Then it all goes black.

"Stop it!" Jack screams.

I look up and see him shooting ice bolts at Pitch, who continues to dodge them. Then I shoot one of my beams at him. It hits him in the shoulder. My aim is off.

"Nice try, Jess." Pitch says.

I fly towards him. He disappears and I land on the roof he was just on. I look around and see him on a roof to my right. I look over at Jack. He nods. At the same time, we shoot at him. Pitch steps out of the way. Jack joins me on this roof.

"Must I remind you that I can't be beat?" Pitch calls to us.

"Everyone has a weakness." Jack calls back.

"That's where you are wrong, Jack."

Pitch throws black sand at us. Jack ducks and pulls me down with him. We get back up.

"How sweet." Pitch says.

Jack shoots another ice bolt at him. This time, it hits him in the arm.

"Cold, but not cold enough." he says.

Then he jumps onto the roof next to him, and the one next to that one. He turns and looks at us. I jump from roof to roof until I reach the one next to the one he's standing on. Jack joins me. Then Pitch hops over to this roof.

"I hope you're good seekers, because you're going to have to find me." he says then disappears.

I look around. He's gone. Jack looks at me. I shrug. We start to fly off towards Jamie's. We don't get that far when Jack decides to stop. "Maybe he's not headed this way." he says.

"Well, we should at least get to Jamie's before he does so we can protect him." I say.

Then I notice something behind Jack. My eyes widen as I realize who it is. Jack turns around. "Look out!" I scream as I go to push him out of the way, but I'm to slow. Jack takes a step back and stands there, looking down at himself.

"Jack?" I ask hesitantly.

He turns back around to face me. There's an arrow through his heart. All the breath seems to be sucked out of me. I look towards where Pitch was standing on the other roof, but he's gone. I turn back to Jack, who now lays on the roof.

The arrow turns into black sand and falls onto Jack's sweater. Blood begins to soak his sweater where the arrow was. Tears come to my eyes.

"Jack...?" I ask.

He looks up at me. "Thanks for giving me a second chance." he whispers.

Tears start to stream down my cheeks. Jack holds onto my hand. I just sit there crying, incapable to do anything to help. I look back up at Jack after a minute or two. He lays there limply.

"Jack?" I say. No response. I shake him as more tears stream down my face. "Jack?" I say again. "Jack, you can't leave me, you just can't. We were supposed to be there for each other."

I stop shaking him and accept the fact that he's gone, that he's really gone. I bury my face into my hands and cry. When it reaches the point to where I can't cry anymore, I just sit there and stare at Jack's lifeless body. A few minutes later, I hear footsteps off to my right. Out of the corner of my eye, I see North, Tooth, Sandy, and Bunny.

"Jess?" Tooth asks.

I look over at her and don't say a thing. By the look on her face, I can tell that she gets it.

"Oh, poor Jack. It happens to the best of us." I hear Pitch say.

I see him standing on the roof across the street. If I had the strength right now, I would rip his frickin head off. I float over to him. I don't say anything, just stare at him. Then I see that girl standing on his right.

I lunge for her. My hands wrap around her neck. He took Jack away from us, so I'm going to take her away from him. I feel Pitch grab me by my hood. He lifts me up in the air and throws me. As I hit the side of a building, I see them disappear.

I float to the ground and stand there for a second, then I fall to my knees. I hear someone sit next to me. I look up and see Tooth. I throw my arms around her and bury my face in her shoulder. Jack's gone.