Chapter 27

"We need to find this boy." North says as the crystal thing sinks back into the floor. "Jess, you are going to find this boy. Manny will help you." "Why me?" I ask, taking another cookie from Sandy. "Because I said for you to do it." North says. I shrug. "Works for me." "Jess, since you are going to find this boy, I want you to act as his guardian. When you come back here, you are going to practice with him. You will be with him for a week or two so you can show him around and help him get used to things. No one is to interfere. Understood?" North instructs. We all nod.

I take another cookie from Sandy and fly out the window. The boy is in Arizona. You'll know what to do from there. Manny tells me. Arizona? No, there is no way I'm flying all the way to Arizona. I turn around and fly back to the work shop. I fly through the window and see North talking to the others. I float down to the floor. "Hey, North," I say. He looks over at me. "Can I borrow a couple of snowglobes?" He hands me two. I use one and step through the portal. I stand near a cliff. I glance over the edge. I notice something strange down there.

I float down to the bottom and look around. Sitting near a tree, I see that boy. He looks to be my age and has short brown hair. He's wearing black sneakers, dark brown pants and a light brown t-shirt. I take a step towards him. "Hi." I say as if I'm talking to a five year old. The kid turns to me and jumps up. He has bright green eyes just like mine and freckles cover his face. "Who are you?" The boy asks, sounding frightened. "My name is Jess." I say, taking another step towards him. "Um, I-I'm August." The boy says.

He seems to know that he can trust me. "My friends and I, we were told to find you. When we get back, we can explain everything to you, 'cause I know you're probably confused." I say. "Where are we going?" August asks. I walk up to him. "You'll find out when we get there." I say and pull out the other snowglobe North gave me. I whisper our destination and throw it. It becomes a portal and August stares at it. "Are you ready?" I ask. August shakes his head. "August, you need to trust me." I say, putting a hand on his shoulder.

He just looks at me, and then he nods. "Okay." He says. I grab his arm and step through the portal. We stand outside the work shop. Behind me, I can hear August throwing up. I turn to him as he stands up. "I probably should've told you about that." He nods. "Yeah, you should've." He says. "Don't worry. After going through the portals a few times, you'll get used to it." I tell him. He looks around and shivers. "Why is it so cold?" He asks. "We're at the North Pole. Eventually, you'll get used to the cold too." I say. August nods and I walk towards the work shop.

I reach the doors. August runs up next to me. I open the door and walk in. "Whoa..." I hear August say. Phil greets us. August takes a step back as I close the door. "This is Phil. He's a yeti." I tell him. Then a bunch of elves run past. "Those are elves." I say. Phil points to the dining hall and I nod. He walks away. August walks further into the room as he looks around. I follow him. He stares at the globe for a few seconds, then walks up to the banister. I stand next to him. He looks around at all the yetis, elves and toys with astonishment.

"This place is so cool." He says. "This place, is Santa's work shop." I say. He looks at me. "Stop kidding with me. Santa isn't real, neither is the Easter Bunny or all those other people our parents make us believe in." He says. "Well, I'm the Spirit of Spring, and I'm real. You're talking to me right now." I say. He just looks at me. "Come on, let's go meet the others." I walk towards the dining hall. I can hear August following me. I stop at the door. Inside I can hear the others talking. I turn the handle and the talking stops. I glance back at August and open the door.

I walk in with him following me. Everyone is watching us. August's jaw drops. We stand there for a few seconds. "Guys," I say. "This is August." North gets up and starts to walk over to us. August steps back and stands behind me. I look at North. He gets the message and sits back down. "That is Santa Claus," I say to August. "But we just call him North." August looks over my shoulder at everybody. "Next to him, is the Sandman. We call him Sandy." August glances over at Sandy, who smiles and waves.

"Then there's the Tooth Fairy and The Easter Bunny. We call her Tooth and we call him Bunny." August stares at Bunny in amazement. "That over there is Jack Frost. And we are all Guardians." "What's a Guardian?" August asks. "We'll explain that later. Right now you should eat since you threw up everything." I say. He nods and I walk over to my seat. I sit down and notice August standing a few feet behind me, quickly glancing around. "Jack." North says. Jack looks at him. "Fine." He says and gets up. He moves over to the next chair and August sits down next to me.

It's quiet for a while as we eat for the second time in an hour. Normally that doesn't happen, but August is here, so I can understand what North was doing. "You're all really who Jess says you are?" August asks. "Of course I am, Mate," Bunny says. "Do I look like a Kangaroo to you?" "Yes." Jack says. Bunny glares at him and North gives him a look. Jack goes back to eating. August doesn't seem effected by this. He looks amazed. "You guys are awesome!" He says. North gives a jolly laugh. Apparently, he's happy by August's excitment.

We all finish eating and leave the dining hall. We all stand around in the main room. Tooth flies up to August. "Have you been taking care of your teeth?" She asks. "What?" August asks, confused. Then Tooth sticks her hands in his mouth and starts examining his teeth. "Tooth, fingers out of mouth." North says. She pulls her hands out of August's mouth and flies away to stand next to Bunny. "Sorry." She says. August looks freaked out. He stands close to me. "August," North says. "All of this is going to be hard to believe. Take a seat and I will explain everything." August nods and walks over to the couch, avoiding Tooth.

When he sits down, he looks at me. There's a small hint of lonliness in his eyes. What North said comes back to me. I'm supposed to act as his guardian, so I have to be there for him, plus I'm kinda the only one he trusts here because I was the one that went to get him. I walk over to him and sit down. He glances at me and the look of lonliness is gone. North pulls up a chair and sits in front of us. "August, you are immortal. That means that you will live forever, just like the rest of us." August nods.

"Man in Moon chose you to be a Guardian. I'm not sure why, only he knows, and you will know if you want to." "Who's Man in Moon?" August asks. "He's the Man in the Moon. We call him Manny." Tooth says. August nods. "Now, when Manny chose you, he possibly gave you powers. If he did not, then you might specialize in a certain weapon, like Bunny, for example. He specializes in boomerangs." August nods again. "How are we supposed to find out my powers?" He asks. "We are going to run some tests. We will be doing that until we find out your power. It is important that we figure out what power you have because eventually you will have to fight The Boogeyman just like us."

August seems to tense at this statement, the mention of The Boogeyman. I put a hand on his shoulder and he seems to relax. "Is that all I need to know?" He asks. "Oh, no," North says. "There is lot more you must know."