Chapter 16

"He's never coming back, Jess," North tells me.

"What do you mean 'he's never coming back'?" I ask him.

"He's not. I'm really sorry."

Then something flies through the window and lands in the middle of the room. It's Pitch, his daughter, and someone else who looks very similar. "He's right, Jess. Jack is with me now." Pitch says. That person turns around. It's Jack, but he doesn't seem like the fun loving Jack we all knew.

"Jack, please come back to us," Jamie says. I can hear the fear in his voice. "Please, Jack. We miss you."

I sit bolt upright. I take a deep breath and look next to me. Jack, he's gone. I jump up. "Jack?" I say. I fly up and out of the trees. I glance around. "Jack?" I call out louder. There's no sign of him up here. I float back down to the ground. "Jack?!" I take off running into the trees.

"Jack, please come back to us."

"Jack?!" I shout as I run. I glance behind me just to check if he's there. "JACK!" I yell. A few seconds later, I run into something. I stumble backwards a bit, figuring it was a tree, but I look up and see Jack. "Jack!" I exclaim. He turns around and I have second thoughts about hugging him.

"Oh, how you fall for my tricks." Pitch says as he becomes himself again.

"W-what did you do with Jack?" I ask.

"I didn't do anything, my dear Jess. He was gone when I got here," he says.

I take a step back. Then I turn around and take off running. "JACK!" I scream again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Jack's POV*

I pull against the restraints as Jess screams my name. I'm not going to let him take her, not like last time. I keep pulling against the restraint until I realize that this isn't going to work. Then I rub the rope against the tree so the tree acts as a saw, I guess. It takes a few minutes, but it works. "JACK!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Jess' POV*

I sit in a tight cluster of trees, hiding. It only takes seconds.

"You don't hide that well," he says from behind me.

I jump up, run out of the cluster of trees, and into his fist. Then he disappears. I take off running, regardless of the pain I feel. And then, Pitch grabs me. He picks me up by the collar of my sweater and tosses me like it's no big deal. I hit a tree and sink to the ground. I stand up and see that he disappeared. Then I'm being picked up again. He slams me into the ground. I stand up and take off running again.

"Jack!" I scream again, hoping he'll come. I run into something again. I look up and see Pitch. He picks me up by my throat and pins me against a tree.

"Jack's not coming. He's not going to save you this time," he says.

Then he starts choking me. I claw at his hand, trying to get him to let go, but I know he won't. He'll kill me for trying to kill his daughter. Then, suddenly, he's tackled to the ground. I sink to my knees and look up. It's Jack. He wrestles with Pitch on the ground until Pitch shoves him off of him. They both get up. Jack immediately shoots an ice bolt at him. It hits Pitch in the chest.

"Must you always ruin the fun?!" Pitch shouts.

Jack uses his staff and shoves Pitch up against a tree. Then Pitch disappears a second later. I stand up and Jack runs over to me. He pulls me into his arms. "I'm sorry," he says.

"For what?" I ask him. He doesn't say anything, he just holds me tighter. "Can we go back now?" I ask. "Oh, yeah. Lets go back." Jack says, letting go of me. We fly into the sky and head towards the town. It takes us pretty much all day to get there. We don't stop at the town to rest, we keep going. It takes us a few hours to reach the Tooth Palace.

We walk inside and see all of the fairies are here, including Tooth. She sees us and flies over to us. "Thank you guys, so much. You helped me alot." She says. "We're supposed to be there for each other, right?" I ask. She hugs me then goes back to doing what she was doing. Jack and I leave and head for the Pole. We get there in an hour or so. We enter through the window and head for our rooms. It doesn't take long for me to fall asleep. I wake up, put on my shoes and my sweater, and walk out of my room.

I notice Jack sitting on the brown leather couch alone. He looks up and sees me. He walks over to me and says, "I've noticed that we've gotten into more trouble than the others have. It just somehow doesn't make sense."

"Maybe Pitch likes us better than the others, I guess." I say.

"We're real special, then, if Pitch likes us so much." He says.

I smile. "So, where are the others?" I ask.

"In their rooms, asleep." Jack tells me.

"Well, what are we supposed to do?"

"I don't know. North normally comes up with that stuff."

"I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about what we're supposed to do while we wait for them." I say.

"Oh, um, I guess we could get breakfast."

"No. It's better if we wait for the others." I say.

"I'm not as patient as you think." He says. "Hey, if you want to wake them up, be my guest." I say. Jack smiles and flies of to North's office. He quietly steps inside. "Jack!" I hear North say few seconds later. Jack flies out of North's office, smiling, and heads over to Bunny's room. "Frost! I'm going to kill you!" Bunny says a few seconds later.

Jack flies out of the room and a few feet away from the door. Bunny appears there. He throws one of his boomerangs at Jack. Jack ducks. "Hah! You-" The boomerang comes back and hits Jack in the back of the head. I resist the urge to laugh. "What the heck?" Jack says. North walks out of his office. Bunny tackles Jack and Sandy floats out of his room. He avoids Jack and Bunny and floats over to us. "You started it!" Bunny says. "Not even!" Jack says. They look like two kids. North looks over at Sandy.

Sandy throws a ball of dreamsand at the two of them. It hits both of them and they fall asleep. Bunny is practically laying on Jack. "I really want to see how they react when they wake up." I say. "I would have to agree with you, Jess. They will be awake in a few minutes. We have to wait for Tooth anyway." North says. I sit on the banister, facing towards Jack and Bunny. A minute later, the doors open and Tooth walks in. "Hey guys. Where's Bunny and Jack?" She asks. I point to them. "Over there." I say. "This is going to be interesting." She says. "I know. It's going to be the funniest thing ever." I say.

We wait for a few minutes. Then Jack and Bunny start to stir. They open their eyes and completely freak out. Bunny jumps up and stumbles backwards, a horrified look on his face. Then he trips and falls. Jack scrambles backwards on his hands and runs into the banister, hitting his head again. The four of us burst out laughing. I fall backwards off the banister and continue to laugh. I stop laughing for a second to get up. Then I start laughing again as Jack and Bunny get up off the floor. "It's not funny!" Jack says, pointing his staff at us, as we continue to laugh.

"For once, I have to agree with him." Bunny says. After another minute or two, we all, slowly, stop laughing. My sides hurt, but in a good way. "Sandy, you knocked them out at the right moment." I say, looking at him. He smiles. "Okay, I think that is enough fun for the morning. We should get breakfast." North says. We all agree and head into the dining hall.