Chapter 9

*Jack's POV*

I was headed for Burgess, to see Jamie and his friends again, but somehow, between when I left and now, I found my way into Pitch's lair. I'm just trying to find a way to get out, and I'm trying to find a way to set Tooth's fairies free.

"You can't leave, Jack," I hear Pitch say. I spin around. "You can leave only if I let you, and that's not going to happen."

I ignore him and keep looking for a way to get out.

"Jack?" I hear Jess say. I stop. "Jack?" she says again. There's a trace of fear in her voice.

"Pitch, if you hurt her I'll-"

"You'll what, Jack? Try to stop me? You can never stop me, Jack. Not you or your stupid friends!" he says.

I frantically look for a way out, a way to get to Jess.

Then there's a scream. I spin around.

"I would advise you to stop, Jack. You're hurting her," Pitch says. I glance over at the fairies in the cage next to me. "I have the power to kill her, Jack. You should make yourself at home, you're going to be here for a while."

"Jack, I'm scared."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Jess's POV*

"Since we're here, I'm going to tell you about being a Guardian. I'll tell you what you need to know." North says. "You do know why you're immortal, right?"

"I think so," I say.

"Well, Jack said that you had saved him. You risked your life for his safety. Jack did the same for his sister 300 years ago. That is why Manny chose him, and that is probably why Manny chose you as well. He likes heroes. And normally, when you become immortal, you lose all of your memories of your past life. I wanted to ask you something about that. Why did you jump out of the sleigh two days ago?"

I don't say anything.

"Jess, you can tell us," Bunny says.

"I don't know. Something just went off in my mind when I heard a boy screaming. My mind told me that it was my brother, whoever that is," I say.

North contemplates this for a few minutes.

"Okay, that's all you remember from your past?" Bunny asks. I nod.

"I've never seen this before," North says. "I'll talk to the others about it when they get back. For now, we need to worry about what's important. Jess, now that you are the Spirit of Spring, I'd advise checking on a few towns that I know of. They haven't had Spring in awhile." I stand up. "Bunny will go with you to each town. There's only two, so it shouldn't take long. I'll show you where they are."

I join North near the globe. He points to a town in Southeast Asia and then to one in the Southwest part of Russia.

"Okay. Bunny, are you ready?" I ask.

He nods and taps the floor with his foot. A hole appears and I jump down it. Bunny follows. In about ten minutes, I think, we arrive in that town in Russia. It's just dirt here. That's all it is. Bunny leans against one of the few trees in this town. I fly up into the air a few feet. Grass comes first.

I fly around and keep my arms stretched out to my sides, my palms facing towards the ground. I glance behind me and see grass growing in the spots it needs to. The people around are amazed. I keep flying. Then I come to a dirt field with cows and horses in it. I fly around the field, making the grass grow.

As the place becomes more beautiful, more people come out of their houses. Even kids are out here. After I'm done with the grass, I go to certain places and make flowers grow. Then a group of kids walk up to me. I show them how I make the flowers grow. A shocked expression is on their faces.

More people believe in me. I start to run towards the tree where Bunny waits. I glance behind me at the kids and wave. They wave as well. When I reach Bunny, I see that he already has a hole opened. I follow him down.

We reach the town in Southeast Asia in about the same amount of time it took us to reach the one in Russia. This place is all dirt, like the one in Russia. I do the same exact thing here that I did there.

As I place flowers near a house, I notice a group of kids watching me. There's a few girls in that group. I make a few flowers and give them to them. They smile and I walk towards Bunny. I wave to the kids. They wave back and disappear.

"You're good at this," Bunny says.

I shrug and jump down the hole. When we arrive at the Pole, North greets us.

"How did it go?" he asks.

"Great," I say.

"She's good at it, North. Really good," Bunny says.

I smile. "Thanks, Bunny," I say. He smiles back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Jack's POV*

"I'm just going to let you go, Jack. You've ruined all of the fun," Pitch says.

A hole in the roof above me opens. I stand up. "What about Jess?"

"She wasn't here in the first place."

Anger explodes inside of me. "So, you tortured me for no reason?"

"That's what I normally do, Jack. You should know that," Pitch tells me.

I fly up and out of the hole. I fly as fast as I can towards the Pole.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Jess's POV*

We were talking about how amazing I am at my job for a few minutes before Sandy and Tooth arrived.

"Where is Jack?" North asks them.

"We couldn't find him," Tooth says sadly.

We stand in silence for a while. I stare out the large window. Then I see something. As it gets closer, I realize not what it is, but who it is. It's Jack. He flies through the window and lands on the floor.

"Jack!" Tooth says. He ignores our presence and storms off to his room. He slams the door shut. I look over at North. He shrugs.

*{{Later that evening}}*

"Hey, Jess. Will you go get Jack? It is time for dinner," North says.

"Yeah, I'll meet you guys in the dining hall," I say.

They walk into the breakfast hall. I walk past the breakfast hall and to the fourth door. I knock on the door. "Jack-"

"Go away," he says.

I stand there for a second. "I thought Guardians are supposed to be there for each other," I say. “I guess I thought wrong."

I turn and start to walk towards the breakfast hall, but stop when I hear a door open.

"They are," I hear Jack say.

I turn around and see Jack standing near his room. He faces me.

"Are you okay?" I ask him.

"Yeah, I'm fine." he says, running his hand through his hair.

"Come on. Dinner's ready," I say. I turn and walk towards the breakfast hall. Jack catches up to me. I open the door and he walks in. I follow after him.

"Hey, Jack. Welcome home," Tooth says. I almost run over one of the elves as I make my way to the table. Jack and I take our seats.

"Let's eat!" North says.