Chapter 4

"Today we are going to work on figuring out what your power is. It would be alot easier if Manny would just tell me, but I guess he wants us to do it this way." North says.

"I'm tired, North. I just want to go back to bed, possibly sleep off the day." I say. I yawn.

"Jack will take you to the breakfast hall after you get ready for today." North says. I groan and get up. I walk back to my room and get ready, which doesn't take long. I leave my green sweater lying on my bed.

I walk out of my room. Jack greets me. "So, you ready for today?" he asks as we walk up a flight or two of stairs and enter the main room.

"As ready as I'll ever be, I guess." I say.

We cross the room and walk down the hall that leads to the place where the sleigh is. Jack stops at the second door. "Um, question. What is the first door?" I ask, pointing at the first door a few feet to my left.

"That's North's office." Jack says. I nod and he opens the door. I follow him in. I close the door and look around. I stare in awe at the elegance of this breakfast hall... and the size of it. The windows are large and tall. There's three of them on the far wall and four of them on the wall to my left. And I don't know why, but there's a fireplace near the door. There's a long table in the middle of the room. Different types of food are spread all over it. North sits at the end of the table that's closest to the door. Bunny sits on his right, Tooth sits next to him, and Sandy sits on North's left.

I take a seat next to Sandy and Jack sits next to me. "Morning, Sandy." I say.

He turns to me. Good Morning, Jess. Take whatever you want. There's plenty of food. He signs.

"Hey, Sandy." Jack says. Sandy signs 'hi' back. With Tooth's help, Jack and I have figured out how to read Sandy's signs in just two days. It would've taken a lot longer to figure out how if we didn't have her help.

"Today, all of you are going to help me. We need to figure out what Jess's power is so we know what to do. Then we will continue with the ceremony for her to become a Guardian." North says.

Tooth squeals. "I can't wait to see what your power is, Jess! Are you excited?" she says.

"Kind of, yeah." I say.

"If she's anything like Jack, I'm going to be worried." Bunny says.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask Bunny as I grab two pancakes and set them on my plate.

"I'm just saying that we don't need two Jacks around here. It's hard enough with one." Bunny says defensively as he smiles. I roll my eyes.

"Jess," North says, grabbing my attention. "Today is going to be hard for you because you have to go through a lot. You need to try your best. You will get frustrated at times, but that is normal."

"Try not to kill us, okay?" Bunny says.

"I'll do my best." I say as I grab a huge slice of watermelon and place it on my plate as well.

We finish our breakfast and North gives me a few minutes to relax before starting. I sit on the brown leather couch. The others stand around me, except North, who's preparing for today.

"I'm just so excited that we get to find out what your power is!" Tooth says.

"I can tell." I say.

"Okay, everyone," North's voice booms. "Let us get started. Jack, you are first. Stand here." North instructs. Jack stands a few feet away from the large globe. Now that I actually can get a good look at it, I see hundreds of flickering lights on it.

"What are those lights?" I ask, pointing at the globe.

"Those are the children, the ones who believe in us." Bunny says.

"What about me? Do they-"

"We will talk about that later. Right now we need to work on this," North interrupts. "Jess, take Jack's staff-"

"Whoa, man, hold up. No one takes my staff, and I mean no one." Jack argues.

"Aw, come on, Jack. You really can't let Jess use it for a few minutes?" Tooth says.

Jack sighs. "Fine." He says. He hands me his staff and North makes me stand at least six yards away from him.

"Now, the reason you have Jack's staff is because he can use it to summon snow and frost and wind. So pretty much everything that is cold. If you can do this as well, then you will be able to use the staff. Go ahead and try something on Jack." North says.

"Wait, you didn't tell me about this!" Jack says.

I look at Jack. "I'm sorry if I hurt you. But it just depends on if I can actually do this. Anyway, the point is that I'm sorry." I say. I look down at the staff and then back up. I thrust it forward, kind of doing what I saw Jack do two days earlier, when we were fighting Pitch and his Nightmares. Nothing happens. I glance at Jack and see that he has his eyes squeezed shut. Then he opens one eye and I toss his staff at him. He catches it with his right hand.

"Okay, that did not work. Sandy, you are up!" Jack sits on the couch and Sandy happily takes his place. "Now, Sandy will produce a stream of dreamsand, and what we want to know is if you can manipulate it." North says.

I watch Sandy as he carefully forms a stream of sand. It stretches out to me. I try to copy Sandy's hand movements he used to make the sand, but nothing happens. Sandy makes the sand disappear and sits next to Jack on the couch.

"Okay, well, they are the only two here with a power, as far as we know. We need to think of other possible powers and figure out a way to test them. Any ideas?" North says.

"Oh, there's water and fire, I think." Tooth says.

"Okay, we will start with those. Bunny, get a bowl of water. Tooth, have Jack help you make a fire in the fireplace. Sandy, do you have any ideas?" North says. Sandy shrugs. "Okay. Keep thinking." North says.

Bunny returns with a bowl of water just as Tooth and Jack finish building the fire. "Let us start with the water." North says. Bunny sets the bowl down in front of me. I stare at it for a second, not sure what to do. Then I kind of just move my hands around. Nothing. North sighs. "Let's move on." He says.

I turn around and see the fireplace across the room. I walk towards it. I stop a few feet from it. I move my hands around again, trying my hardest, but nothing happens. North takes the bowl of water and puts out the fire. "Now what?" he asks the others. They all look clueless.

Must I spell it out for them?! It's that voice, Manny.

"Guys," I say. "Manny says that it's pretty obvious and we shouldn't be so clueless."

"Well, if it was obvious, then the answer would be right-" North shouts. He cuts himself off. A grin spreads across his face. He runs into his office and comes back with a plant that looks like it's dying.

"Do you water that thing?!" Tooth asks.

"I watered it yesterday." North says as he sets the plant down in the middle of the room. I walk up to it and take a seat in front of it. I take my hand and go up with it, my palm facing the plant. I wait a second then do it again. The plant starts to stand up straighter, become more greener. A few blue flowers even blossom. I'm shocked.

I look at the others. They're shocked as well, except for North who looks incredibly happy. We kind of just sit in silence for a while. Then North speaks up. "Manny told me you are like an Earth Spirit, kind of how Jack's a Winter Spirit, but you're designated to one season. That season is Spring. You can control rain and the sunshine and when and where different things grow. And at some points you can control the wind if needed. This was Manny's job, before you came, and now it is yours. You are the Guardian of Beauty. Like how Jack is the Guardian of Fun."

Tooth squeals and flies over to me. She hugs me. "I'm so glad you found your power, Jess." she says and lets go of me.

"And it didn't take too long to figure it out." Bunny says.

"Who is ready for a snack?" North asks.

"We are!" We all chime in.