Chapter 3

"Phil! Get the sleigh ready, now!" North calls. A yeti runs past me and down a hall near the couch. North is quickly getting ready, along with Bunny. Then Phil comes back and North looks over at him. Phil nods. "Everyone, to the sleigh!" North shouts. Tooth flies off in the direction of the hall. She's followed by Baby Tooth then us five. At the end of the hall, there's large doors, but they're not as large as the front doors. They open and I see a large sleigh sitting there with reindeer attatched to the front. We all hop in. North gives the reindeer the cue to go and we're shooting through a tunnel. "WOOHOO!" I shout as we come out into the open.

I glance over the side of the sleigh. The ground is so far away. I watch North as he pulls a snow globe out of his pocket and whisper something to it. Then he throws it and it becomes a swirling mass. We head straight into it. Once we come out on the other side, I immediately feel sick.

"I still haven't gotten used to that." Bunny says as he clutches his stomach. I get the sudden urge to throw up, but I resist as much as possible. Once the nausea is gone, I take a moment to look around. This place is huge.

Tooth looks frantically around. "My little fairies, they're all gone!" She says.

"So, she's immortal know?" I spin around and see Pitch standing on one of the many floating platform things that are in here. "How wonderful. We'll have more time to have fun." he gets an evilish look in his eye. He shoots black sand at me. I barely have enough time to jump out of the way. "Whatever," he says. "I'll just take the little fairies and go." He disappears and I run towards the exit.

"Jess, what are you doing?" Bunny calls after me. I come out onto a balcony. I hear the others running after me. I climb up onto the edge of the balcony.

"Jess!" Tooth screams.

I jump. I fall for a few seconds, then stop myself by floating. I fly back up towards the balcony. When the others see me, they have a shocked expression plastered on their faces.

"What?" I ask. "You don't trust me?"

I smile and fly higher up. I glance around and see Pitch floating on a black sand platform while these black horses fly around, capturing Tooth's fairies. The sleigh stops next to me. I look over at them.

"You four go. Bunny and I will stay with the sleigh, try to fight that way." North instructs. Jack, Sandy, and Tooth join me. North and Bunny head off. We fly towards the horrific scene unfolding before our eyes. Sandy makes a gold sand cloud in one spot and stays there to fight any horses that come towards him. We fly around and try to save as many fairies as possible.

I glance around and see a fairy trying to escape one of the horses. I fly towards it. I reach my hand out as I get closer. Once I reach them, I close my hand around the fairy and fly out of the way of the horse. I open my hand and see the fairy curled up into a ball, shaking. "Are you okay?" I ask her. She looks up at me and nods. She hides in the pocket of my sweater. I look around and see that the horses are starting to fly back to Pitch. All except for one, who's chasing a fairy. I take off towards the horse. I reach my hand out towards the fairy. I grab her, but I don't have enough time to get out the horse's way. It runs into me and pain erupts in my side.

I risk a glance. I almost faint because of what I see. A mass of black sand on my side is slowly growing. I try to ignore this as I make sure the fairy I just saved is okay. She's okay. I hold the other fairy in my other hand as I watch the horses return to Pitch. The horses disappear one by one and then Pitch and that girl disappear. More pain erupts in my side. I wince. I see the others off in the distance. I attempt to fly towards them, but the pain is too much. The fairies notice something is wrong. "I'm okay." I say, trying not to let the pain register on my face. I let them go and they fly towards the others. I watch as they immediately fly up to Tooth. They start talking to her.

I glance down at my side. The black sand has enveloped my left leg now. It slowly creeps down my right leg. I look up just as more pain shoots through me. I see the others flying towards me. They stop a few feet away. "Oh, hey guys," I say. "I was-" More pain erupts making me wince again. I try to play it off. "Looking for you." I finish.

"Jess?" Tooth questions. I sigh. I have to tell them, or show them. I turn so they can see my side. I move my arm out of the way so they have a clear view. I hear Tooth gasp.

"I guess this is it then." I say. "It was fun being with you guys."

"Don't say that!" Tooth says. I turn to look at them.

Sandy floats over to me just as more pain courses through me. I look down and see the sand has already covered me from my stomach down. Sandy places his hands on the spot where I got hit. A shocked expression registers on my face as the black sand becomes gold within a few seconds. Then the sand disappears. There's no trace of any of it and there's no pain either. I look at Sandy. I can't help but hug him. "Thanks, Sandy." I say as I let go of him. He signs a few signs above his head.

"He said 'You're welcome. We don't want to lose you again'." Tooth translates.

"Wait, you can actually read his signs?" I ask.

Tooth nods. "You have got to teach me how to do that." I say.

She giggles slightly. "When we get back, I'll show you how." Tooth says.

I get into the sleigh with the others. North pulls out another snow globe, whispers something to it and throws it. When we come out on the other side of the portal, the nausea returns and I resist the urge to throw up. We exit the sleigh and walk back to the main room. "So, what were those horse things?" I ask North.

"Those are Pitch's Nightmare's." he replies.

"I see." I say. "Tooth!" I say, getting her attention. She turns away from Baby Tooth and the two fairies we saved. "Can you teach me how to read Sandy's signs now?" I ask. "Of course." She says.

"You wouldn't mind teaching me as well, would you?" Jack asks.

Tooth giggles. "Let's begin."