Chapter 28

After an hour of North talking and August asking questions, I think he fully understands now. "So, Tooth could show me my memories?" "Yes and no. She would have to bring you your teeth, but I think you should wait a few weeks before seeing your memories." North says. August nods and North gets up. He puts the chair back. "Jess, do you want to go practice with him?" "Yeah, sure." I say and get up. I walk towards the stairs and August follows. We walk downstairs to the paractice room. We walk inside. August looks around at the room. "This place is pretty huge." He says.

"I know. It's cool." I say. I sit in the middle of the room and August joins me. He sits across from me. I quickly make a flower grow. "Can you do anything to manipulate this flower?" I ask. He holds his hands out to the flower and just starts moving them around. I watch the flower carefully. It's petals slowly start to change color. "Stop." I say and August does so. I take the flower and set it off to the side. "Try to make a flower." I say. He looks at me then starts to do what I did when I made the first flower. It doesn't work out. August sighs.

Then suddenly, the lights go out. "Jess?" I can hear the panic in August's voice. I make light eminate from my hands. It lights up both of our faces. "So, I see that there is a new Guardian." I hear Pitch say. August sits close to me, really close. "How fun everything will be." "What do you want, Pitch?" I shout. "Who's Pitch?" August asks. "The Boogeyman. Pitch Black is his name." I tell him. August grips my arm. And then he's being yanked away from me. He screams. "August!" I shout, jumping up. I see Pitch's glowing eyes across the room. "Jess! Jess!" August shouts.

I immediately shoot a beam towards Pitch that quickly becomes a large wave. The light lights up his and August's faces. Pitch drops August, who scrambles out of the way. I stop shooting at Pitch and run over to August. He's shaking out of fear. I grab his arm and head for the door, but Pitch stops us. We back away and stop in the middle of the room. I do the only thing that I can think of at the moment. I form a barrier around us. "Jess! What's going on?" I hear Jack shout from the other side of the door. "We're having a little fun, Jack." Pitch says. Jack bangs on the door, that I know realize is locked.

August holds onto me. I can feel him shaking. "Don't be afraid, August," I whisper. "That's what gives him power." He nods, still shaking. "August, just do this for me. Don't be afraid. He can't hurt you unless you are." I say, turning to him. He looks me in the eyes. "You sure?" "Would I lie to you?" I say. He starts to stop shaking. I turn back around and look for Pitch. He stands near the door, thinking, watching us. I glance back at August. His eyes are squeezed shut, his hands on his head. I turn back to Pitch. "Stop it!" I shout.

"Why should I?" He asks. "Stop it, please." I hear August say. Then he screams in pain. "Just stop it!" I scream at Pitch. He ignores me and smiles wickedly. I quickly form a dagger and throw it at him. It passes through the barrier and sticks into his right shoulder. He doesn't seem effected by it as he pulls it out. "Very aggresive, aren't you, Jess?" He says. He drops the dagger and August screams again. "Jess!" I hear Jack shout. I find myself panicking. I don't know what to do. I just stand there for a few seconds, completely clueless. August screams again.

I look up at Pitch, who's smiling. There's no way to stop him. Then, the door bursts open and the lights turn back on. I turn to August, who's curled up into a ball on the floor. I put a hand on his shoulder. "August." I say. I glance back towards the door. The others are surrounding Pitch. I turn back to August. He looks up at me. I help him up off the floor. "Are you okay?" I ask. He shrugs. "Come on," I say, making the barrier disapear. "Let's get back upstairs." He nods and we walk towards the door, avoiding the others.

We walk out of the room and up the stairs. August sits on the couch and I sit at North's desk. We just sit there for a few minutes, then I hear the others coming up the stairs. I glance over at them. North, Sandy, and Tooth run up to August. Bunny leans against the banister and Jack stands near the stairs. "August, are you okay?" I hear Tooth ask. "Yeah," August says. "I'm good." I look up and see Jack, standing in front of the desk. "You okay?" He asks. I nod and get out of North's desk, knowing he'll want it back.

They all surround August. Bunny is now included in the circle. August must be terrified. "You still going to visit Jamie?" I ask Jack as I walk a few feet away from the desk and stop. He walks up to me. "Probably not." He says. After what happened, I can understand why he wouldn't go. "Do you like August?" I ask. " I guess he's okay." Jack says. I glance at the others. North tells Bunny something and he walks off. August follows him. They walk down the hall where the dining hall is. They pass the dining hall and keep going, then, Bunny stops at the room next to his and August walks in. Bunny follows.

"How about a snowball fight?" Jack asks. I smile. "You're on." I say and run towards the door. I open it and walk out. Jack joins me and closes the door. I pick up some snow and make it into a ball. Then, suddenly, I get hit in the face with a snowball. I wipe the snow off my face and glance around for Jack. Then I see him and throw the snowball. It hits him in the chest. Then he runs towards me. I fly around him and land on the other side of the bridge. I pick up more snow and form it into a ball. Jack runs towards me again.

I hold the snowball in my hand, ready to throw it. Jack gets closer and closer. When he's a few yards away, I throw the snowball. It completely misses him and he tackles me. We wrestle in the snow for a minute or two, then I succeed in pinning him. "Again, beat by a girl." I say and get up. He sits up and I sit next to him. "I only let you win because you're a girl." He tells me. "Yeah, sure you did." I say, my voice laced with sarcasm. "Just admit that you got beat by a girl...twice." "I'll never admit to something like that." He says. I roll my eyes.

"Maybe we can go see Jamie tommorrow. And we could bring August with us." I suggest. Jack seems to get upset at this. "I don't know," He says. "Maybe we can." "Jack, if you don't like the idea, then tell me." "I do not like the idea." He says, slightly smiling. I smile as well. "What are we supposed to do tomorrow then?" I ask. Jack shrugs. "Don't know." He says. We sit here talking for some large amount of time. I think it's close to dinner time when we actually decide to go inside. When we walk through the door, Tooth flies up to us excitedly.

"Guys, guess what?" She says. "What?" I say. "We found out what August's power is! He's the Spirit of Fall, the Guardian of Change. He can communicate with animals and can control the wind, somewhat, and his power is like yours, Jess. He can shoot beams that have the color of brown, orange and red mixed. Isn't that cool?" She says. "Uh, yeah, I guess so." I say. You know, I kinda thought that I was supposed to be the one to help August with this whole 'find out your power' thing. But, hey, on the bright side, he found out his powers and I get to spend more time doing stuff I want to do. It works out perfectly.