Chapter 22

I wake up and head to the dining room. Pitch and Alice are already there. I join them. "After breakfast, do you think that I could go for a walk?" I ask. Pitch looks at me. "Yes, but don't be out too long." He says. "Thank you so much!" I say. I finish my breakfast in a few minutes and leave the dining room. I run over to the door. It opens and I walk out. I fly up out of the hole and walk off into the forest. After a few minutes of silence, I hear a stick break. I stop and look around. Then I'm being grabbed and shoved into a large sack. Then I'm tossed and I land on a hard surface.

"What the heck?" I shout. Then the sack opens and I'm pulled out. Those five people stand in front of me. That one kid takes a step towards me, but the chubbyish guy stops him. The five of them form a tight group and start talking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Jack's POV*

"The best way for this to work is if we tell her everything at once," North says. "Now, Jack, you are the only one who knows what happened to her when Tooth gave her her teeth. Either two of us are going to be in here, or you can do it by yourself." "I'll do it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Jess's POV*

The five of them seperate and the chubby guy nods. The huge fluffy things that were holding me drop me. They follow the chubby guy, the bird lady, the glowing guy, and the bunny out of the room. I'm stuck with the kid wearing the blue hoodie. "Remember when you saved me?" He says. "What-" "Remember when we went to the Tooth Palace to try to help Tooth?" The kid takes a step towards me. "Remember when Tooth taught us how to read Sandy's signs?" The kid takes another step forward. "Who-" "Remember when you met Jamie? Remember that moment when he believed in you?" Suddenly I get a headache. The kid steps closer.

"Do you remember those horrible images Pitch made you see?" "PItch-" "Do you remember that moment when you became a Guardian?" The headache gets worse as the kid takes another step forward. "Do you remember when you helped Bunny with Easter? Remember when you had that early morning fight with Pitch?" The headache intensifies in pain. "Remember when I died?" An image flashes across my mind. His limp body lays in front of me. The kid takes a few more steps forward. "Remember when I came back? Remember how excited you were?"

The headache intensifies and another image follows. I run over to him and into his arms. "Remember when Pitch captured you?" The pain grows, making me feel weak. I look up and see the kid standing right in front of me. "Do you remember your brother?" Another image flashes across my mind. "I'm sorry, Nick. I'm so sorry." The headache intesifies again. "Remember when you told me about what happened? Remember when you said that we were supposed to be there for each other?" "Stop!" I scream as the pain becomes unbearable.

His hands are on my shoulders. "Remember how Guardians are supposed to be there for each other? Well, you broke that promise, Jess! You promised to be there for us, but you aren't, you're with Pitch!" The pain doubles. "I thought you cared about us, Jess! I thought you'd be here with us!" The pain triples, and then, it suddenly disappears. "I thought you loved me." Jack whispers. He looks into my eyes. I step forward and kiss him. He's suprised for a second, then he kisses me back. We pull away from each other a few seconds later.

"Jess...?" Jack asks. I smile and he hugs me. Then he lets go of me and runs toward the door. He opens it and walks out. I follow him. I see the others gathered in the main room. "So, Sandy," I say as I walk towards the four of them. "Have you been doing your job lately?" Everyone looks over and sees me. They all attack me at once. A group hug. Then they all let go of me, except for Tooth, who still clings tightly to me. "Oh my gosh, Jess, we missed you so much. I'm so glad you're back!" She says then finally lets go. "I'm glad I'm back too." I say.

"So, what now?" Bunny asks. "Today is a 'do nothing' day." North says. For the rest of the day, we all just sit around, talking back and forth to each other until dinner. We all enter the dining hall and take our seats. We laugh and talk as we eat dinner. Once we're finished, we all retreat to bed. I want to sleep, but sleep doesn't seem to come to me. I get up and slip on my shoes. I put on my sweater and leave my room. I walk up the stairs and fly out of the window. I notice Jack sitting a few yards away. I quietly fly around to his right side.

I get really close and whisper in his ear, "Boo." I fly out of the way just as he grabs his staff and jumps up. He points the staff in front of him and looks around. Then he sees me and sits back down. I sit next to him. "So, you can't sleep?" I ask. He shrugs. "I don't know. I just kinda wanted to be out here." I nod. Does all of this, everything that's happened, mean that we like each other? It's possible. Yes, it's possible, but would it be safer if we were just friends and kept it that way? I'm confused and I want to tell someone, but who?

Maybe Tooth, but she might end up telling the others about it. I could probably trust Bunny, after all, he was talking to Jack for like an hour or two that day. But that means nothing. This has all occured to me more than once, and I'm going to explode if I think about it again, but it's hard to get it off my mind. Would distancing myself from everyone help? Probably not in the way I would have intended. I'm frustrated and I don't know what to do. I feel lost. I'll just have to give it some time, wait and see. That's the best thing that I can come up with.

I stare up at the moon for awhile. Then I get up up and head for the window. "See you in the morning, Jack." I say. I glance over at him. "See you in the morning." He says, looking down. I fly through the window and land on the floor. I head to my room. I open the door and walk into the room. I climb into bed and fall asleep a few minutes later.