My Name's Cora

I was woken up by the blaring honks of early morning traffic. I'm still trying to get used to living in the city. Minneapolis is very different compared to my old farm house in the middle of nowhere. My roommate, however, is used to it. Aspyn sleeps like a log through all the wonderful city sounds. Aspyn has lived in the cities her whole life. I met her in middle school, and we were pretty much inseparable. When I found out Aspyn had to transfer schools in our senior year of high school; I had to come, I mean we're a package deal now. I've only been living in the cities for a little while now, I found a job relatively quickly, and only a few blocks away. I work at a small diner and honestly, I love it.

I have to work today, so I quick threw my long, curly, tangled mane in a messy bun. I grabbed my work clothes, and I walked a few steps over to Aspyn's room.

"Aspyn. Aspyn. Aspyn! Wake up! You have to go to work!" I yelled, attempting to wake her up, usually to no avail, I just end up having to literally drag her out of bed. Finally, after about ten minutes of poking and yelling, Aspyn started to moan and opened her eyes slightly.

"Why are you waking me up? Come on five more minutes." Aspyn whined, curling up in a ball on her bed.

"No, Aspyn you have to get up, you have work. Hey, isn't Sawyer working today?" I asked Aspyn, knowing she would do absolutely anything for Sawyer. Aspyn has been crushing on Sawyer ever since she started her job at the hair salon.

"Hm? Oh, yeah! Sawyer's working today!" She exclaimed, as I watched her pop out of bed. I let out a sigh of relief. I followed Aspyn into the kitchen and grabbed a cup of coffee.

"Well, I guess I should start walking." I said putting on my shoes. Aspyn walked over to me and slipped on her favorite pair of black Converse shoes. I stood up and grabbed my backpack. Aspyn grabbed her skateboard, and we headed our separate ways.

I got to the diner and saw Martha waving at me through the window. Martha was one of my favorite people on the planet. When I moved here, my family stayed at the farm, so Martha is a bit like a motherly figure to me here in the city. She is always so happy to see me and Aspyn. Martha lives by herself, because her husband died just a few months ago.

I walked in the diner, and Martha gave me the biggest hug ever.

"Hey Martha, how ya' doin'?" I asked her, still in her embrace.

"Oh, I'm good. How are you dear?" She said, freeing me from her hug. Martha had the biggest grin on her face when she asked me.

"I'm pretty good, yeah. I mean I had the struggle of waking up Aspyn, but otherwise I'm good." I stated, flashing a bright smile. Martha let out a contagious laugh and walked behind the counter, and I followed. I slipped on my apron and waited for some customers.

It was about ten minutes later when our first customer came in.

"Good morning sir, how are ya' doing?" I said, taking the man's order. Martha came out from the back and brought some delectable pancakes with her.

Several hours passed, and all of a sudden, it's 6:30. I saw three guys I haven't seen around here, walking down the street. They looked familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on who they were. The three guys were in their twenties and pretty tall...except for one of them.