Is Everything Okay?

Joe P.O.V.

"Okay. You want to do something fun? Where would you like to go?" I asked Cora, tilting my head slightly to the side. Seeing how upset she was, was horrible! I never want her to be sad or in distress, "I don't care what we do, so you pick, please. As long as you're happy, that's all that matters to me," I said, grabbing hold of her soft, tiny hands.

"Oh, Joe, you're sweet. Are you sure you don't have a preference of where we go? I want this to be fun for you too!" She exclaimed. Suddenly, a loud, high-pitched shriek came from the living room. We both turned our heads toward the door at the same time. "Aspyn? You okay?" Cora yelled, waiting for a response.

"He texted back! He texted back! Dan Howell texted me back!" Aspyn cried loudly in response. Cora rolled her eyes, and turned to face me again.

"Okay... She'll either be really quiet for a while or really, really loud," Cora predicted, followed closely by a giggle. For a moment, when Cora was laughing, everything else around me suddenly had no meaning or value. To see her happy is all I'd ever wish for. My phone started to vibrate in my back pocket, which quickly snapped me out of my daze. I reached for my phone, "Who's calling you?" She asked me, furrowing her brows. I looked down at the screen to see it was Zoe.

"Uh, it's Zoe.. Hello?" I asked, placing the phone next to my ear.

"Hi, Joe. Look, I need to talk to you about something," she said shakily. I pressed my lips together tightly out of nerves.

"What's happened? Is everything alright?" I asked quickly, concern and worry rushed speedily through my veins.

"Everything's fine," when those words came through the phone, a wave of relief engulfed me. But then Zoe began to say another thing, "Except-"

"Except what?" I interrupted, causing Zoe to get more upset and flustered with me.

"Stop interrupting, and maybe I could tell you!" She demanded, "Something's come up. There's been some strange communication issue."

"Communication issue? What are you on about?" I inquired.

"Shut up, and let me talk!" Zoe ordered, she was so upset, I could practically feel the heat from her blood boiling over the phone, "We only have one week left," she finished. Her tone instantly changed from anger to anguish.

"What are you talking about? One week left of what?" I asked, somewhat upset.

"One week left in America, you idiot!" Zoe replied harshly. The line then went silent. I could feel knots forming in my stomach almost immediately.

"You've got to be joking," I said, hoping Zoe would start laughing, and say, "It was a joke!" But nothing, "Zoe?" I asked into the phone. It was quiet again.

"I'm not joking. I knew you were going to be upset when you found out," she admitted, "I was dreading having to tell you," she finished. My brain kept telling me, this isn't happening, this isn't happening. But I knew it was. Then, it was almost as if light bulb actually lit up.

"Wait! Why can't Caspar and I just stay here, and you lot go back? I asked, feeling pretty bright for thinking of that idea.

"Because Joe! I told you! There was some weird miscommunication that happened. I was there, and I don't fully understand it! All I know, is that we all have to go back," Zoe answered sharply. I swallowed hard. How on Earth am I supposed to tell Cora? I thought painfully to myself.

"Okay... Thank you for letting me know. I'll go tell Caspar," I finished, hanging up, and putting the phone back in my pocket.

"What was that all about? Everything okay?" Cora asked, placing her hand on my arm. I couldn't bring myself to tell her quite yet, so I sat in silence, "Joe?" she continued, plopping herself on the bed, and gesturing me to sit next to her. My eyes met Cora's, and it killed me to think that in one week I would be flying almost 4,000 miles away from her. One short week. "Joe, please tell me, you're making me nervous," Cora confessed, inching closer to me.

"Cora..." I started, but thoughts of leaving flooded my mind, and started to make me get choked up.

"Yeah? Go on, you've got this," she encouraged me, she could see the pain I was holding back. I took a deep breath in, and turned to face her once more. Her innocent, brown eyes captivated me. Cora tenderly rubbed my back until I spoke.

"Cora, I only have one week left here," I somehow managed to say every word, but the burning tears were still there. I could practically see Cora's heart shatter.

"W-what?" She stuttered, "You can't be serious."

"I wish I wasn't."

"You're serious! You're leaving?" She exclaimed, a grief-stricken look grew on her face.

"Cora, I would live here if it were up to me, but it's not! Trust me! I don't want to leave! Because, that would mean I was leaving you," I ended my sentence quietly.

"Please don't go," she cried softly. Planting her face on my chest. I stroked her soft, two-toned hair. Why do things like this have to happen? 

"Cora?" I asked, almost in a whisper.

"Yeah?" She responded in the same tone, but with little snifflies following after. She tilted her head up to see me.

"I love you," I said softly.

"I love you too," she responded.

"Cora, I have to go and let Caspar know about this, but I'll be right back," I said, walking out of the room. I told Caspar and Britta the terrible news, and retreated back to Cora's room. I joined her again on the bed. "Cora. I'm really sorry about this," I started to speak, when Cora cut me off.

"No, don't be sorry. It's not your fault. I understand," she spoke softly, turning her gaze to the floor.

"No listen. I'm sorry I am leaving you with this mess. I'm sorry I won't be here anymore. I'm sorry I couldn't change it. I'm sorry, love," I said, somehow letting a tear escape, and roll down my cheek. Cora looked up at me again with care in her eyes.

"It's okay."