Nothing Lasts Forever

Cora P.O.V.

Joe took me home after surprising me with the best present ever! We walked into the living room at my apartment. Britta was sitting comfortably on the couch, while Aspyn sat on a stool near the kitchen. Caspar took a seat on the floor, he motioned for Britta to come to him. She groaned slightly, then reluctantly got up from her comfy spot to sit on Caspar's folded lap. I decided I'd take Britta's old seat on the couch, and Joe placed himself next to me.

"You guys want to watch some T.V.?" Joe asked, no one said no, so he decided to turn it on. When the T.V. turned on, it was on the News channel. I was fine with this at first, until the next segment they decided to cover.

"Next, we have the story of youtuber, Joe Sugg, and his girlfriend Cora Foster," a loud, news announcer said. My eyes instantly widened, as did everyone else's. Except for Britta and Caspar, they were completely oblivious to the whole thing; he was just braiding her hair, while she was nuzzled up against his chest. The voice continued to speak, until they showed a short clip. It was the film from the hospital. When they came in without permission and started asking us questions. Except they didn't show that part, they just showed the part where Joe got upset, and demanded they leave. They continued to speak, and spread the rumor further. Before anyone could say more, Joe quickly clicked the remote and turned the T.V. off. We all sat in stunned silence. My jaw dropped all the way to my knees, and Joe's too. Aspyn's eyes were gigantic. I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't take the fact that people were freaking out about a little thing. I lost it.

"Why are they making such a big deal of it?!" I screamed angrily, throwing my hands in the air. Everyone stopped and stared at me, including Britta and Caspar. I was just so done with all this media attention for something that wasn't even real! I dropped my head into my hands and began to cry. Aspyn quickly came to my side, and tried to reassure me.

"Cora.. It'll be okay. I know it will," she said softly, rubbing my arm gently. I didn't believe her one bit though. I lifted my head out of my hands, and placed my fists next to my sides. Joe looked down at my clenched fists. I had them so tight, they started to change color. I felt a tender, yet firm grasp gain hold of my left hand. I instantly relaxed, because of the familiarity of his hand.

"Look. I know neither of us wanted a rumor, especially this big of a rumor, But it's what we have to deal with; and we'll tackle it together. Please don't waste your tears on this. You're happiness means more to me than anything else," Joe said, squeezing my fist.

"But, Joe, why is the media making such a big deal about this, I just don't understand," I said, a look of loss and confusion on my face. Joe didn't answer right away.

"I-I don't know..." He confessed. I swallowed hard, and closed my eyes. I just want this nightmare to be over. I thought when I first met Joe this would be the best thing ever, and it has been, except for the rumors! I just wish that everything could go back to how it was before! I got lost in my own thoughts, reminiscing about when we first met; how peaceful everything was. Joe suddenly snapped me out of my gaze. "Hey, we both know the truth, right? That's all that matters," he said comfortingly. His eyes were soft, as he glanced at me. He had a certain gentleness in his smile that I can't describe. A gentleness that made me think everything would eventually be right again. Joe planted a kiss on my tear stained cheek, and grazed his hand through my hair softly.

"You're right. I know the truth," I said, reminding myself what I know. The room was quiet for a little bit after that. Someone made a faint knock on the door. A knot tied in my stomach, for some reason I had a bad feeling about whoever was at the door. I looked at Joe with questioning eyes, but he got up out of his seat and answered the door. I wasn't close enough to see who it was, but Aspyn had moved back to her spot in the kitchen, and could see. Her eyes widened, and a look of horror crossed her face. I knew something was not good.

"Oh, no," Aspyn uttered under her breath. "Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap," she stated quickly, she jumped up from her seat, and frantically looked around for a place to go. Just then, Sawyer burst through the door with a huge bouquet of flowers. "No," she said in a defeated whisper. Why the heck was he here?? He broke up with her, and was cheating on her. Why on earth would he have the nerve to come back?

"Aspyn! You have to listen to me!" Sawyer urged her. Aspyn whipped around to see her ex pleading for her to listen.

"Listen to me, I've got a mind full of unsaid things and you do not want to hear what I have to say!" She exclaimed.

"Asp, please don't be mad at me! I changed! People change!"

"First of all, I'm not mad, well I am a little, but mostly I'm hurt, there's a difference. And second of all, people do change, I have changed, in fact I've changed by upping my standards, so if you could get out of my house that'd be great," Aspyn said sassily, with a hand on her hip, and full squad to back her up. I personally couldn't help but let out a little squeal when she said that. He stood there with a face as red as a freshly picked tomato.

"I thought you were obsessed with me!" Sawyer said, sounding more upset.

"You just used a past tense word, and you'd be correct, I was obsessed, but now I've moved on, to better people in my life. People who stand by me when I need them most. You never did that," she said to him, causing him to blush more.

"But Aspyn."

"But Sawyer, nothing lasts forever," Aspyn said, sticking out her bottom lip, and frowning. Sawyer seemed defeated, and threw the flowers down, and ran out the door. A huge smile crossed Aspyn's face.

"Whoa, that's my girl!" I screamed, running up to hug her. "You are so awesome! I don't think I would've had the guts to do that," I confessed.

"He needed to hear it, I just feel sorry for whichever girl gets stuck with him!" She joked. For a moment I actually forgot about all the rumors and hurt, and something that Aspyn said is really helpful to remember. Nothing lasts forever.