Who are They Against

Cora P.O.V.

The sound of footsteps thundered through the hallway. I looked at Joe nervously. We were about to get bombarded by fangirls.

"W-what do I do?" Joe asked, stuttering slightly. Aspyn quickly reached for her black backpack that she carried everywhere. She searched for a moment, then pulled out a small apartment key.

"Here!" she said, as she placed the copper key in Joe's hand. He clutched the key, and nodded. I looked at him longingly from my bed, wishing he didn't have to leave so soon. The sound of stomping feet started to get more apparent. Joe glanced at the door then back at me. He kissed my forehead softly, but quickly, and ran out into the already crowded hallway. He dashed toward the nearest emergency exit, and evacuated the hospital. Girls flooded the hospital room. They were searching for Joe, but had just missed him. Several girls walked over to my bedside, and started asking me a bunch of questions. The room was filled with noise and confusion. Girls yelling, trying to simply get my attention. Suddenly, I hear Aspyn yell, "shut up! Can't you see the girl's trying to rest? She was just in an accident! Now shut your mouth, and leave Cora alone!" everyone was quiet, "thank you," she finished. I could breathe, a little anyway, there were still tons of teenage girls in my small hospital room. After a while of being glued to my bed, surrounded by fangirls, a nurse tried to weave her way through the crowd.

"Okay, I'm sorry for any inconvenience, but you girls must leave. Cora and Britta need to rest," the nurse said politely, as she made her way over to Britta's bed. The crowd began to lessen, one by one, the girls left the room. I glanced over toward Britta, to see that Caspar was still here. How he didn't get eaten alive by fangirls is beyond me. The nurse spoke quietly to the two of them when I finally heard her say, "alright! You're all set, you can leave whenever you're ready, Britta," she said with a smile. Britta sat up in her bed, and hobbled over to me.

"Hey, I'm going to go back to your apartment for a little while and rest, I'll see you later," Britta said to me sounding kind of out of it. Caspar walked her out of the room, and escorted her home safely.

"So, how are you? You know, with Joe having to leave soon," Aspyn asked me, breaking the silence, but also causing my heart to break into a million pieces.

"Um, I don't know. I feel a thousand different feelings I've never experienced before. Feelings that are so rare and strange that scientists probably haven't found out about them. I just can't explain it really," I said as I held back burning tears.

"Oh, Cora, I didn't mean to make you sad," Aspyn said with empathy in her voice.

"No, it's fine," I said, letting several tears trickle down my cheeks and nose. Aspyn's eyes filled with sympathy. She knelt down on the floor, and hugged me tightly.

"I'm so sorry, Cora. You know, maybe something will happen, like Joe gets banned from the U.K. somehow; or he decides he likes it better here and stays here forever. It could happen," she said in an attempt to cheer me up, but only making it worse.

"It's fine Asp, I just think, sometimes, life doesn't go your way. Money's tight, school's expensive, people you love leave you. It's  just life, and terrible things have to happen, so you can recognize the good," I explained, my face becoming drenched in tears, as I imagined watching Joe board a flight to London, and never seeing him again. Aspyn was silent. The room was completely soundless, except for the steady beeping of my heart monitor. All of a sudden, the door flew open, breaking any silence we had. In the doorway, stood the one and only, brat of the universe, miss Gryphon Butler! She glanced around the room slowly. She then started to exit, I assume because Joe wasn't in the room. "Hey! What do you want?" I asked angrily, as I watched the real life Barbie doll make her way towards me.

"Oh, nothing," she said with a sly grin, as she turned her back on me, and proceeded to exit.

"Wait, come back here. Why did you say those things on the radio?" I asked, as I looked her up and down. She was dressed head to toe in designer clothing and jewelry.

"What things?" She asked me innocently, turning her evil grin into a pout.

"Why did you just tell everyone I was pregnant and wanting an abortion? And why did you say that you came to check if I was well, because that sure wasn't the case! You've got everyone against Joe!" I explained, I was fuming with rage for this girl. If Joe were here, he would put an end to her right now.

"Are you sure they're all against Joe? If I was a teenage fangirl, I would be against you! These girls are not going to get mad at him easily, you, however, are a much easier target," she said with malicious eyes. It took all my strength, and a little bit of Aspyn's to just keep me in my bed. I had so many things I wanted to say to her, things I wanted to accuse her of, but my mouth wouldn't open. "You aren't the only girl who fell for Joe's looks and charisma. Thousands of teenagers wish they could be in your spot. Including me. But, life isn't fair, is it? Things just don't go our way sometimes," she said eerily, she repeated what I had just said to Aspyn, before she burst through the door. Had she been listening? I don't know, but I do know, that I want nothing to do with her. I want her to get out of this room, out of my site, out of Minnesota, out of America. I can't stand even breathing the same air as this self-proclaimed princess.  "What's wrong? Cat's got your tongue? Or are you just too nervous to say something wrong in front of someone like me?" she taunted. I couldn't hold back any longer.

"Someone like you? I wouldn't mind speaking to a nobody like you. I just chose not to speak to you, because you breathe lies. How Joe managed to put up with you is beyond me. Hey, you know there are thousands of differences between you and me, but I think the major one is, is that you had to pay Joe to be with you, while I am in a relationship with Joe, and he wants to be with me... You can go now. I don't need to see a lady laced in diamonds who has to pay people to interact with her," I hissed, watching Gryphon take the insults I dished out was the best part. She looked like a really terrible actress trying to be offended. I looked at her, she was stunned, I could see she was trying to think of something to say, but to no avail. "What's wrong? Cat's got your tongue?" I mimicked, as Gryphon turned around dramatically, and left, slamming the door behind her. Aspyn clapped slowly, as a huge smile crossed my face.

"Nice job, I've taught you well," Aspyn said jokingly, I reached up and hugged her tightly. I couldn't imagine having to deal with Gryphon for a whole day... poor Joe.