Something Special

Joe P.O.V

I left the hospital as quickly as I could, when I realized what time it was. Aspyn knew what I was doing, but Cora didn't. Aspyn and I had spoken to the doctor and found out Cora was seeming fine, and would be able to leave, so I decided to do something I knew she would love. Quite a while ago, Cora had invited me to this dance. She was absolutely ecstatic about the event. It was held at her favorite place in the world, Whisper Hill. I want to do something so wonderful for her, because she is no less than wonderful. All of a sudden, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. Aspyn had texted me.

Back at the apartment, Cora's pretty happy just to be home, she will be over the moon when she sees what you've done.   -Aspyn

I felt a smile crawl onto my face. I can't wait to surprise her.  I sent a quick reply, simply saying that I was excited too, and glad to hear Cora was doing well.

I had to get a few things ready for tonight. I made my way over to Whisper Hill, to see what I have to work with. Luckily, the park is never very full. I walked along the top of the hill. It was very peaceful, I can see why Cora likes it here so much. As I observed the empty park, I started to walk down the steep hill. Memories of the dance raced through my mind. I couldn't help but smile when I thought about it. At the dance, they had several lights hung up, so I wanted to do something similar. After figuring out my exact idea, I thought I should probably run to the shops while they're still open. I walked to the nearest store I could find that sold everything I needed. I still had a lot of time and had no need to rush too much, because I was planning for all this to take place under the stars. I wandered over to a worker in blue wearing a nametag with the name "Cecily" in bold, black letters.

"Hi, welcome, how can I help you?" Cecily asked with a warm grin.

"Uh, hi, I was just wondering if you had like, some string, and old-fashioned light bulbs? Also some jars?" I asked, feeling a bit silly for my odd requests. She nodded slowly, as if she was thinking.

"I think we may have just what you're looking for, follow me," she ordered, I followed behind her quietly. She led me to the place where I could find all I needed. Once I grabbed everything, I headed for checkout. I left the store, and walked as quickly as possible over to Whisper Hill. I was almost there, when I felt my phone buzz again. Aspyn texted me.

How's everything going? If you need help, just let me know, I can send Caspar down or something. -Asp

Everything's great, just bought all the stuff I need to set up this magical thing. Can't wait for her to see it. -Joe

I finally reached the hill, and at the very bottom was where I wanted everything to happen. I placed a large, plaid picnic blanket on the cool, green grass. I smoothed out the wrinkles as best as I could, all though there were a few pesky ones that wouldn't leave. I placed a glass jar filled with fireflies on each corner of the blanket. Instead of fairy lights strung up, I wanted to do old Edison bulbs.  Everything looked very mystical, almost like it came straight out of a fairy tale. I looked at the clock on my phone, and realized I should get back to the apartment.

I finally reached the apartment. I walked up the multiple stairs until I found their door. My hand twisted the shiny door knob, and I strode inside.

"Hi, guys!" I said happily, glancing around the room. "Where's Cora?" I asked with a perplexed expression. Everyone was in the living room except her. Aspyn looked up from whatever she was doing and smiled.

"She just went in her room, I can go get her if you want," she said willingly.

"Um, I think I'd like to go and say hello, is that alright?" I inquired, to which, Aspyn responded with a warm smile, and nod. I walked slowly to her bedroom door, and gave a quiet knock, "Hello? Is anyone home?" I asked playfully. I heard fast footsteps approaching the big wood door. I watched as the knob on the door turned slowly, and I saw a face peek out from the other side of the door. An immense smile took over my face; I was just so happy to see her. Cora peered at me through dark, fascinating eyes. Her eyes were so complex, yet simple. They were the color of deep, rich chocolate.

"I'm home!" Cora exclaimed happily. She wrapped her arms around my neck soundly, as I wrapped mine around her slender waist. I planted a kiss on her soft cheek. "Thanks for coming and seeing me," she said plainly. I furrowed my brows in slight confusion.

"Of course I would come and visit! You're my girlfriend! Also, you're welcome," I added, a cheeky grin glued to my face. "Hey, you've been cooped up for a long time, how about we go out for a walk or something? Does that tickle your fancy?" I requested, placing my hands at my sides. Cora gazed around the room a bit, and then spoke.

"Y-yeah, I think some fresh air might be good for me, just not too far, my legs are still a little weak," she informed me, I smiled slightly.

"Well, we want to get going soon, don't want it to get dark on us, now do we?" I questioned.

"I guess you're right, let me change quick, and then we'll get going," she said, I stepped away from the door. She closed it slowly so it wouldn't slam. A few minutes later she came back out in a pair of colorful leggings, and a crop top. "Ready?" she asked me, as she put on her shoes.

"I'm ready when you are," we laced up our shoes, and headed out the door.

We walked and talked for quite a while, just enjoying one another's company, when I realized Cora seemed a little tired.

"You alright?" I asked, putting one of her arms over my shoulder.

"I think I'll be okay," she said, with heavy breaths. I kept a close eye on her until we reached our destination. We almost went over the hill, when I commanded Cora to wait. "Um, Joe, isn't it getting a bit dark?"

"No, just wait! You have to close your eyes," I directed, taking hold of her arms, and placing her hands over her eyes.

"Okay... why?" Cora asked me with a cute laugh.

"You'll see, just be patient!" I ordered. Once we reached the very top, as I removed Cora's hands from her eyes, I said, "The darkest nights, produce the brightest stars."

The look on her face was absolutely priceless. her jaw dropped to the floor. She looked over at me with tear filled eyes. "You did this?" she asked, pressing her lips together to keep from crying.

"Yes, I did, do you like it?" I asked, feeling pretty chuffed with myself.

"No!" She exclaimed. My heart dropped and my face fell.

"What? I thought y-" I started, when she cut me off with a kiss.

"I love it," she finished with a laugh. I was relieved; I didn't even have enough time to tell her why I did it, because she was already running down the hill like a small child. I ran down after her, but my foot slipped, and I went tumbling down the big, green hill in the dark. I could hear Cora's familiar laughter close by. I saw a hand reach out to me, and I grabbed it.

"Sorry for laughing, but you should've seen yourself, you we going faster than a hamster on it's wheel!" She managed to say through bursts of giggles.

"It sure felt like I was!" I exclaimed, dusting off my pants, and shirt. "What would you like to do, now that you're here?" I asked, wrapping my arm around Cora.

"Well, what did you have planned?" She asked, seeming intrigued at what I had prepared.

"Well, I did get some snacks and such down here, just incase you were hungry. I've also got, some music we could play, or we could just talk," I suggested. Without skipping a beat, Cora decided on dancing. It didn't really surprise me, I knew she always had a passion for it. I played a few fast paced songs, but then a really beautiful slow song came on. I laid out my hand for her to grab, she gracefully took hold of it, and curtsied in response. I positioned my hand gently on her waist, and she rested her hand on my shoulder.

"Hey, Cora? I'm sorry for leaving the hospital without telling you, and not helping you pack, I just wanted to make sure I had enough time to do this for you," I admitted, Cora glanced up at me with glossy brown eyes. "I just wanted it to be perfect," I said apologetically. Cora didn't speak for a little while. She stared into my cerulean blue eyes, and spoke.

"Thank you," she whispered, nestling her head in the crook of my neck. I ran my fingers through her hair, and kissed the top of her head softly.

"You're welcome," I spoke softly, "I love you," I uttered under my breath.

"I love you too," she responded.