Chapter 5: Exhausted and Sick

*one week later, TRIGGER WARNING FOR PTSD AND STRESS AND ALL THAT COMES WITH IT FROM THIS CHAPTER ON*

"Jim, you need to sit and rest, this isn't healthy." Naomi insisted, walking after her husband. He hadn't slept in two days and Naomi was pretty sure he hadn't eaten either.

"There's way too much to do." Jim answered, speeding up in the hallway. Naomi picked up her pace and grabbed his hand. She pulled him into an empty observation deck and pushed him into a pushed him onto a couch.

"I understand the Enterprise is in distress, but if you go on like this for a few more days you'll be in trouble. Bones will make you step down and have Spock take control. You need to rest." Naomi insisted, crossing her arms.

The Enterprise had been attacked by Klingons two days ago. The ships warp core and many systems were destroyed.  Jim had been obsessively worrying about everything, everything must be over seen by him.

"I understand that, but I need to be here for all of this." Jim insisted, standing up again. Naomi grabbed Jim's hand and put her other hand behind his head.

"Jim, I love you, the kids love you. We want you safe and healthy. Please, just twenty minutes of sleep. One little bit of food. Something." Naomi insisted kissing him on the lips.

"I'll try. I have to go. Love you." Jim said, kissing Naomi before running out into the busy hall. Sighing, Naomi walked back to the sickbay to go to work.

The next day, Jim still hasn't slept or ate. It was starting to get to him and the crew was noticing. On multiple occasions Spock offered to take over, but Jim refused. He couldn't leave his ship in this state.

Naomi was getting increasingly worried about her husband. He didn't come back to the quarters and just watched everything. Scotty had made him lay down in engineering, promising to wake him if anything happened. Jim sat down, but didn't sleep.

Alaska was doing work in engineering and she had been arguing with him. "Alaska, stop bringing me food, I'm fine." Jim said, throwing the food away for the seventh time.

"You haven't eaten in three days. I'm a nurse, I know what's healthily and unhealthy. This is extremely unhealthy. You have a fever. This isn't safe." Alaska insisted, trying to reason with the stubborn man. He shook his head and stood up, taking a moment to steady himself.

"I'll be fine. It's only a few more days." Jim said, sitting down by a console. He began typing into it, trying to see everything wrong. It would really only be about five more days.

"At least eat, if you won't sleep, eat." Alaska said, bringing him more food. Jim grumbled and shoved some food in his mouth. "Good." Alaska said before walking away.

Once she was far enough away, Jim took the food out of his mouth and went back to work. Eating was a distraction from his work.

Two more days had passed and Jim hadn't ate or slept. It's been five days without food or sleep. Exhaustion was getting to him. The fever had rose two degrees each day, it was now 106 degrees Fahrenheit. Everyone insisted he sleep and eat, but according to Jim, there was far too much to do.

He had a video meeting with StarFleet on the bridge to report the damage. Jim stood on the bridge, ready for the call. Spock was insisting on Jim going back to his quarters and let him to the meeting. Jim still refused.

"Captain Kirk, damage report." The StarFleet officer said, awaiting Jim's response.

"The warp core was damaged as well as a few other.... Systems." Jim said, swaying and loosing trail of his thoughts. "We have been.... Been.... Floating." Jim put his arm on the captains chair to steady himself.

"Mr. Kirk, are you alright?" The StarFleet officer asked.

"I'm- I'm f-" Jim muttered before he collapsed. Spock and Chekov jumped up and ran over to the unconscious captain. Sickbay was called. Bones, Naomi, and a few nurses went to the bridge as quickly as they could.

Sulu was giving the report now over messages. Naomi worriedly hovered over her husband, tears in her eyes.

"He's far too exhausted and hasn't had food in days." Bones diagnosed, helping move Jim onto a stretcher. They took him to sickbay and began doing further exams.

Naomi hooked Jim up to an IV. He was given medications for the fever and the IV was to rehydrate him. He had lost weight, weight he couldn't really afford to lose. Jim was never a stress eater, so that explains why he didn't eat.

"He should be okay, might wake up later tonight, but he'll be exhausted." Bones explained, walking in carrying Elliot and Malcolm. Naomi grabbed the kids and set them on her lap, she kept hold of one of Jim's hands. Elliot would occasionally slap his dad's arm, while Malcolm was sleeping.

"Naomi." Jim muttered, opening his eyes a little. He pulled himself up onto his elbows and tried to stand. Naomi quickly moved the twins into another chair and pushes Jim back onto the bed.

"You need rest and lots of it. Five days, almost six Jim. Almost six days without sleep or food!" Naomi yelled, crying. "You worried me to death Jim! I love you and I hate to see you suffer! Why did you do it!"

Jim moved Naomi close to him for a hug. He held her while she sobbed. "I'm so sorry. The ship needed me. The crew needed me." Jim muttered, half asleep, the fever raging through him. "My head hurts."

"I know. I know. You could've slept and eaten just a little though." Naomi muttered, putting her hand on the side of his face. It was very hot from the fever. "Get some rest. You need it." Naomi muttered, kissing him.

"How's the ship." Jim muttered, falling asleep.

"Spock's in charge, the ship's doing fine." Naomi answered, kissing him as he fell asleep. Jim could really push his limits sometimes.