Chapter 37: Busy Day in the Sickbay

The next morning, Jim ran into sickbay. "Jim! Whenever you're here, it's usually a bad thing, almost never to socialize. Strange, considering your wife works here. And your best friend." Bones said, looking up at Jim standing in his office.

"I need help Bones." Jim whispered, his voice hoarse. It sounded like he hadn't drank water in a while, or threw up, or both.

"Did you accidentally hurt one of the kids again and you don't want Naomi to find out?" Bones asked, hoping that was all it was.

"No, not this time. And that was once." Jim said, starting to shake more and more as he stood there.

"Sit down." Bones told him, motioning to the small couch he had in his office.

"Please help." Jim choked, his eyes tearing up.

"I'll help. Just don't cry you wuss." Bones joked, trying to lighten the mood. Jim smiled and laughed, but loud coughs erupted from him.

"I don't know if Naomi told you about the dream." Jim mumbled, his voice soft. Any louder and his throat would sting.

"No, she didn't." Bones said, taking a tri-corder to scan Jim.

"Everyone was dead. Everyone. Naomi and the kids, everyone. Elliot died in my arms. I died. I-" Jim said before he had to stop. Half from the fact that it was too hard to continue, half because he started coughing. Tears streamed down his face, only making things worse.

"It looks like you've got a cold. Just a normal cold. Probably caught it a couple days ago, you just didn't realize it. That's most likely why you had the dream, you've got a pretty high fever. 103.4. Any higher I'd make you stay in sickbay. Your chest, lungs, and throat are congested. Take these." Bones said, handing Jim a bottle of pills. The pills helped with fever and congestion.

"Thanks." Jim whispered, looking down at the bottle. "Can I get something for sleeping? I can't have another dream like that, Bones, I can't."

"Those pills should help. It was the fever. Now, I don't want you staying awake until you get better. You won't get better that way. The pills should help with dreams." Bones ordered, slapping Jim's arm. "Are the kids at the daycare?"

Jim nodded silently, still staring at the pills in his hand. "Okay, good. I want you to go back to the quarters and get sleep. I'll alert Spock of everything. Take one of the pills first, then wait maybe twenty minutes so. That'll help with the fever and dreams."

Jim just silently nodded again and got up. Bones nodded as Jim left, hoping he'd be okay.

"Jim?" Naomi asked, confused why her husband was here. Jim looked up like a deer in headlights.

"Naomi?" He asked in his hoarse voice.

"Yes it's Naomi, why are you here?" She asked concerned. His voice didn't sound good, which most likely meant he wasn't good.

"I'm sick. I've got a cold and a high fever, Bones thinks that's what caused the dream." Jim mumbled, hard to hear over the bustle of sickbay.

"You just came down here in sweatpants and a tight tank top?" Naomi asked, looking at Jim's clothes. The shirt was quite tight, it stuck to Jim's skin.

"Um, yeah." Jim whispered, looking down at his clothes.

"Go to bed then. I'll check in on you at about two PM. Drink water and get some sleep." Naomi told him, kissing his cheek. "No kiss on the lips till you're better."

"Okay." Jim agreed, walking out of the sickbay to the quarters. He took one of the pills and laid down about a half hour later. He fell asleep quickly, his sleep completely dreamless.

------------------------

"Naomi! Naomi! Naomi!" Tegwyn yelled, running into the sickbay. "Naomi!"

"Tegwyn, calm down what's wrong?" Naomi asked, running over as fast as she could. Tegwyn was holding Gracie, quickly looking up and down.

"Something's wrong with Gracie." Tegwyn said, handing the young baby to Naomi.

"What's wrong?" Naomi asked, bring both of them over to a bed.

"She's had a fever and I don't know why!" Tegwyn exclaimed, still panicking. She was still only eighteen, which was pretty young. She didn't know too much about babies, except how to care for them.

"Calm down, Teg. I'm sure it's nothing." Naomi assured her, scanning Gracie with a tri-corder. Tegwyn was right, nothing was wrong. Except the fever of course.

"What is it?" Tegwyn asked, still anxious.

"I think she might be getting teeth. Babies get fevers and they are fussy when this happens, but it's different for every baby." Naomi diagnosed, picking up Gracie again.

"Awe! Yay!" Tegwyn cooed, taking Gracie from Naomi. "You're getting teeth!"

Gracie giggled in a response, but she started crying again. "You'll be up for a few nights." Naomi warned, laughing a little.

"Yeah, I bet." Tegwyn said. "Oh, Pasha will be so happy. So will my dad and my new stepmom."

"Oh yeah, Sarah and Scotty got married." Naomi remembered, smiling.

"Yeah, it is. They both love the baby so much." Tegwyn muttered, smiling at Gracie. "You seem busy, I'll leave. Thanks!" Tegwyn said before leaving the sickbay with Gracie.

-----------------------

Jim slept the rest of the day. Naomi left the kids overnight at the daycare, she had to work all night. The sickbay was full of people, the cold was going around. It was one long night and day.