Chapter 48: Tour

The next day, Jim woke Chandler up at 5:30 AM. Groaning, Chandler dragged himself out of bed and into the shower. As quiet as possible, he snuck out to get breakfast. Naomi was asleep in the next room, a wall about waist height separating the bedroom and the kitchen. Chris was in her crib, sleeping away. Oh Chandler envied her right now.

Jim was already eating, chewing loudly, even though it sounded normal. Everything is louder at night. "Ready to go?" Jim asked, setting the bowl of cereal down.

"You ate a quarter of the cereal, aren't you hungry?" Chandler asked, eyebrows arched as he looked at the cereal.

"Well, a while ago, I had a bit if a stress problem. I'm not a stress eater and being captain is really stressful, so I never ate. I wrecked my stomach a bit, so I never really eat much. Part of that is stress, but it isn't nearly as bad as it used to be." Jim explained, shrugging. Chandler grabbed a muffin from the food replicator and took his breakfast to go.

They made their way down to engineering, navigating the halls.

"This is engineering. A couple of my friends, Scotty and Tegwyn, work here. Tegwyn is Scotty's adopted daughter, but she was already older so she kept her last name. The warp core is located here and most of the crew down here where a red shirt. The other people in red shirts are security." Jim explained, standing atop a platform with Chandler. Chandler's mouth gaped open as he saw engineering.

From that particular platform, they could see the entire engineering. The warp core was in the middle, various panels strewn around. "Can we go down there? Meet those two people?" Chandler asked, astonished. The sheer size and power of engineering shocked him.

"Yeah, c'mon." Jim said, motioning to a turbo lift. They stepped inside and went down to the main deck. Finding Scotty in the maze of people is a nightmare. He's rather short, so it's hard to see where he is. Luckily, Jim knew exactly where he'd be this early in the morning.

"Captain, what brings you here?" Scotty asked, setting down a small glass of scotch. He was in his personal office, drinking a little before work. What else would give him that weird spunky personality throughout the day.

"Just showing Chandler around. Chandler, this is Scotty. Scotty, this is Chandler." Jim said, motioning between the two with his hands.

"Hey." Chandler mumbled, staring at the bottle of scotch.

"You're the captains son? That's a great thing to be, you get tours like this. Fancy a bit of scotch?" Scotty asked, grabbing another glass.

"I could have a little." Chandler brightened up, walking towards the glass. Scotty poured him some, but Jim stopped them.

"No drinking underage. Scotty, no offering people that are underage drinks." Jim warned, drinking the little scotch that was already in the glass.

"Yeah yeah fine okay." They both mumbled, rolling their eyes.

"Do you know where Teg is?" Jim asked, setting down the glass on the table. Scotty thought for a minute, Chandler looked around the office.

"What does this do?" He asked, picking up a new phaser that Scotty had been working on. Chandler pulled the trigger and shot the bottle of Scotch. The glass shattered and the drink spilled everywhere.

"Noooooo!" Scotty whaled, sinking from the chair to his knees.

"Run Chandler. Run! RUN! Chandler run!" Jim yelled, grabbing Chandler's arm. Still holding the phaser, Chandler dashed out of Scotty's office. "Wait, give me the phaser!" Jim yelled, taking the phaser. "Sorry Scotty." Jim mumbled, setting the phaser on the table. He slowly backed out of the room, but the instant he was out the door, he took off running, Chandler at his heels.

"I take it that was a bad thing?" Chandler asked when they stopped running.

"Don't mess his scotch, it'll be the last thing you do." Jim warned, walking into a turbo lift. "I saw Tegwyn up above, we can go to her and be safe for a while."

"Yes, safe is good." Chandler said, gasping for breath. He hadn't been running in a while.

"Why are you two panting so much?" Tegwyn asked when they caught up to her.

"I shot Scotty's bottle of Scotch, so we ran." Chandler explained. He was no longer out of breath.

"Good choice. I'm Tegwyn, you must be Chandler." Tegwyn said, smiling and holding out her hand.

"Yeah, nice to meet you." Chandler smiled, shaking her hand. It was already an adventurous morning and they had only been to engineering.

"How are you Tegwyn?" Jim asked, looking around to make sure Scotty hadn't followed them.

"Well, I found something out. I'm pregnant." She answered, a huge grin on her face. Jim's jaw dropped, he was stunned. Chandler was confused.

"So soon? Gracie isn't even one? Right? Is she one? I can't remember." Jim muttered, looking around the room, trying to think.

"She is almost one. And the twins were seven months old when Naomi became pregnant with Chris." Tegwyn defended herself, crossing her arms. Chandler was still confused.

"You've had kids?" He asked her, shocked.

"Yeah. I have a daughter." Tegwyn said, smiling at him.

"Well, uh, congrats." Jim muttered, smiling. "Does Scotty know?"

"He will tonight. So don't tell him. Pasha knows though." Tegwyn said just as PADD started beeping. "I've got to go, it was nice to meet you Chandler! Nice talk Jim."

"Wow. She's pregnant. Okay then." Jim mumbled, staring at the wall.

"Do you want to see the bridge? Many people to meet there. You've met my friends that work in sickbay." Jim suggested, trying to shake off the shock from Tegwyn.

"Yeah sure. Bones and Alaska work in sickbay right? And Naomi?" Chandler asked, following Jim to a turbo lift.

"Correct. Well, one of my friends is there. She's pregnant and there's some major complications. We can visit her after." Jim said, grabbing the side of the turbo lift to go up.

The bridge wasn't busy. Everyone was chatting and checking the consoles every once in a while. When nothing happened, that's all they have to do.

"Everyone, this is Chandler. Chandler, this is Spock, Chekov, and Sulu." Jim said, gesturing to everyone as he said their names.

"Hi." Chandler waved, smiling. "Are you Vulcan?" He asked Spock.

"Half Vulcan half Human. I grew up on Vulcan." Spock explained, looking away from his work.

"Is it boring there?" Chandler asked, suddenly fascinated.

"Not truly. The Vulcan schools can be quite brilliant and entertaining to the human mind. Although, humans sometimes aren't complex enough to understand Vulcans." Spock explained, slightly edgy by Chandler's interest.

"Why can't humans understand. Couldn't there be some human that would understand it?" Chandler asked, sitting on the floor. It was then, Spock knew he'd be here a while.

About two hours later, Chandler finished asking questions. Spock was finally free. They talked with Sulu and Chekov for a couple minutes before heading down to sickbay to visit Uhura.

"Jim! Thank god someone other than Spock!" She yelled, holding out her arms for a hug. Jim hugged her and glanced back at Chandler.

"Nyota, this is Chandler. Chandler, this is Nyota." Jim introduced, stepping aside so they could shake hands.

"Everyone seems to be pregnant on this ship, don't you guys have anything else to do?" Chandler muttered, sitting in a chair.

Jim and Nyota talked for a while, Chandler bored in the corner. When they left, he was happy to go back to the quarters and stay there for a while. He was home alone while Jim went to work for the rest of the day. He played with the twins when they got home, Chris included of course. Chandler's new family wasn't so bad after all.   

~~~~~~~~~~

Dedicated to cookidoughlilac
Hope you liked my little surprise 😏😀