Chapter 23: Stress

The stress was getting to be far more than Jim Kirk could handle. Naomi and the babies were the one thing keeping him from drinking a twelve pack of beer every night. So he only drinks six bottles a night.

Jim would drink, go to bed, wake up with a pounding headache, take a pill for headaches, and go to work. Spock was even getting concerned. Chekov was still in a coma, his vitals were normal, but he just couldn't wake up.

Jim sat at the table, finishing his fifth beer. A long scratch appeared on the wall. He instantly jumped up and moved towards Chris' crib. "Frank?" He asked. Frank made himself visible to Jim, a crooked smile on his face.

"Hello Jim. Cute daughter." He said, trying to look at Chris. Jim kept moving in front of the crib, protecting the small baby girl.

"You leave her out of all of this." Jim growled. He glared at Frank, a stone look on his face.

"Okay. Sit down Jim, let's talk." Frank said, motioning to the table. Jim grabbed a chair and sat in front of Chris' crib. He refused to leave her side.

"What. Do. You. Want." Jim asked, trying to control his temper. Frank had pulled up a chair across from Jim.

"Alright, let's talk." He muttered, putting his hand in his packet. Without warning he jumped up and pulled a knife from his pocket. He stabbed down at Jim's head, the knife sinking into his cheek a little bit.

Jim pushed Frank away into the table. Frank hit his head and was dazed for a while. Jim grabbed a portable communicator from the table. Just as he picked it up, a life stabbed throw the communicator and his hand, pinning it to the table.

"Aw!" Jim yelled, gripping the knife of the table. Frank moved across the small room to Chris. "No!" Jim screamed, yanking the knife out of the table and his hand.

Frank raised the knife up, getting ready to stab Chris to death. Jim ran as fast as he could over to her crib, jumping in front of her. He jumped up, causing the knife to plunge into his right side where the previous stab wound was.

"Stop it." Jim growled, slowly sinking to the ground. He grabbed a phaser he had hidden under all the baby's cribs. In one swift move, he pulled it out and shot Frank.

Franks face twisted from pain and shock. He fell to the ground, his eyes wide. Any movement Jim made caused pain to course through his body. The knife wound bled a lot.

Jim slowly dragged himself on the ground, a trail of blood following him. He tried his best to reach the wall communicator, blood dripping on his face as he raised his arm. "No." He mumbled, sinking into unconsciousness. Chris screamed loudly, but Jim could barely hear it as he blacked out.

Spock became increasingly worried when Jim didn't show up for his shift. It was unlike the captain to not come, especially late. It's been three hours and know one had heard from him.

"Naomi Kirk?" Spock asked, talking to Naomi.

"Yes Spock?" Naomi asked, concerned about why Spock would call.

"The captain hasn't shown up for work, I believe there may be something wrong." Spock said, his voice wavering a bit.

"I'll check on him." Naomi said, getting really worried now. She had Bones come with her as she went back to the quarters. They could hear Chris screaming from outside the door, it was faint, but there.

The door opened and a hand could be seen. Blood oozed and puddles on the floor around it. "NO!" Naomi screamed, dropping down to the floor.

Jim lay on the floor, bleeding. He wasn't dead and most likely wouldn't be as long as he got help. Naomi had turned him on his back, his head in her lap. Tears streamed down her face, she held his head close.

Bones scanned Jim, applying pressure to the stomach wound. Naomi did the same to his hand, tears streaming down her face. Chris still screamed in the background. Frank lay dead on the other side of the room.

The other paramedics came to get Jim to sickbay. Naomi washed blood off her hands and picked up Chris, trying to ignore the dead body in the corner.

Jim wasn't in critical condition, but it wasn't good. The stab wound on his stomach didn't reach his stomach, but he still needed repair surgery.

Naomi spent the night in a sickbay chair, the babies with various friends. Chris with Tegwyn, who needed practice time watching young babies, and Uhura had the twins. Spock was staying with Uhura, apparently they were a couple again.

Jim would be okay, but it'll take a while. According to Bones, he had lost more weight. Naomi had noticed him getting thinner, but she didn't really think anything of it. Jim really needed to stop being stressed. He needed a break for a while, but he wouldn't get one.