Chapter 26: Klingons

*two weeks later*

"I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job." Jim muttered, jogging through the halls of the Enterprise. The ship was under attack by Klingon ships.

Jim was worried about many things. Naomi, the kids, his friends, his friends kids, the crew, the ship, etc. If he could worry about it, he was.

Chekov was panicking about Tegwyn. She was working in the sickbay, not able to rest. Pregnant women, especially thirty five week pregnant women, need to sleep. Naomi was rushing around, helping injured crew members. As well as Jim, she worried about the kids. The deck that the daycare was on was hit. Lots of little kids were injured in sickbay, Ellie included. She was okay, just a few stitches.

Naomi hadn't heard about how Jim was or the twins. Chris was currently in the sickbay, staying with some of the daycare people.

Jim stomped onto the bridge, frustrated as could be. "Status report Mr. Sulu."

"Decks 4-19 are hit. Nothing too significant, only eleven dead. Many injured, mostly crew members, some children." Sulu said, typing more things into the console.

"Have you heard about my kids?" Jim asked, hoping they were okay.

"Naomi messaged me. Chris is okay, but she's still in sickbay. She didn't say anything about the twins." Uhura cut in, sending more and more alerts to people.

"Alright, hail the Klingons. Uhura, I need to you translate." Jim ordered, sitting in the captains chair.

"Yes sir." Uhura said, taking the communication piece out of her ear. She hailed the Klingons before standing by Jim's side.

The Klingons negotiated, but they weren't particularly pleased to have to use a translator. Jim was unable to make peace, but he managed to get them to seize fire and let some of the crew to evacuate. Surely out of everything, Klingons must understand wanting their kids protected.

Naomi found the twins and was told she needed to leave with the kids. Tegwyn and Alaska also had to leave. Both were pregnant and Alaska still had Ellie to look after. Naomi have her kids to the two of them on the shuttle before running up to the bridge. She wouldn't leave Jim. Not now.

"Naomi you need to leave." Jim insisted, frustrated she was still here.

"I'm not leaving. The kids are with Alaska, Tegwyn, and a few other people." Naomi said, being stubborn. She crossed her arms and glared at Jim. "Plus they need help in sickbay, but thought I'd tell you I'm not leaving and that the kids are okay." Naomi walked into the turbo lift and went to sickbay.

*two days later*

Two days had passed and the Enterprise was still under the threat of the Klingons. Jim continued to negotiate and try to work something out, but nothing was working. They were now insisting on Jim going to the Klingon ships for the rest of negotiations.

"Captain, it isn't wise to go." Spock insisted, walking beside Jim in the halls. Spock and Chekov would be accompanying him on this, but everyone had to be unarmed. If they had weapons, the Enterprise would be blasted apart.

The evacuated shuttles were on a nearby class M planet. A high rank officer, Riley, had taken control to talk to the native species about staying for a while. They agreed, sympathetic for the crew. The Klingons had been attacking them too.

Jim, Spock, and Chekov were beamed to the Klingon ship. Spock had snuck a small knife on board. Currently, Bones had control of the Enterprise. Sulu needed to stay pilot, it was the top of his priorities.

Spock had learned as much Klingon as possible before they had beamed aboard. Chekov careful walked through the different ship, taking in the engineering of the craft. Jim carefully investigated for anything they could use for a weapon.

The Klingons had appeared and they negotiated. Jim managed to make a deal. As long as the Enterprise left the system within three days, no one else would have to get hurt. But if they took a long time to leave, people would die.

The crew that was on the planet started to leave back to the Enterprise. Jim ordered the ship be fixed as much as possible before returning to warp. Naomi, Alaska, and their kids would be back last. Tegwyn would be with them on that shuttle.

*two days later*

"We need to get moving. Only twelve hours left. We're pushing it!" Jim ordered, walking through the halls. Suddenly, he was hailed from the Klingon ship.

"You're taking too long. People are going to get hurt." The Klingon said. Uhura slowly translated, shocked.

Suddenly, the natives on the planet alerted Jim that there had been an explosion. Two crew members were dead, a few were injured. Jim's heart sunk, only Naomi's team was down there.

Everyone evacuated to the shuttle, injured or not. Chris' tiny head was bleeding a lot, a piece of glass sticking out of it. Alaska had removed it and tied a towel tightly around it. Tegwyn and Naomi were stuck flying the shuttle, the two pilots were dead.

Alaska's stomach was bleeding, but she was okay as far as they knew. Elliot had a broken wrist and Malcolm was missing the tip of his ear. Ellie was scraped up, but okay. Tegwyn had recently started having some small contractions, so hopefully they got back in time. Naomi was scraped up and had glass all over her body, but she was alright in the long run.

Sickbay doctors and nurses were sent to take care of everyone. Bones was incredibly worried about Alaska and Ellie, but relaxed when they didn't have life threatening injuries. Alaska told the doctors to check on the unborn baby. Bones was shocked, but became sad quickly when the baby hadn't made it. He pulled himself together and got to work when the news sunk in. He would deal with this later.

Jim ran as fast as he could to sickbay. Worry spread across his face the instant he saw Naomi, but it became worse when he saw the kids. His whole face softened and he started to cry. His finger slowly moved over the missing part of Malcolm's ear, it was quite a big chunk. About a centimeter, which is big in baby ears.

He freaked out even more when he saw Chris. She looked so fragile and breakable in the little sickbay bed. A tube snaked under her nose, her skin very pale. Jim slowly grabbed her hand, he acted careful as if she'd fall apart.

Elliot slept peacefully, his wrist casted. He couldn't even lift his arm from the weight. Jim sobbed at the damage to his kids. He felt as though a piece of his heart had been taken out and put through a shredder.

He gingerly picked up Malcolm, careful of his ear. Tears streamed down Jim's face, the site of any of these kids United hurt him.

Naomi laid in pain in bed, glass being picked out of her skin. Jim was really worried. His entire job was stressful and now his family life was stressful.

Chekov and Scotty panicked because of Tegwyn having contractions. She was in labor. Chekov was allowed to be with her for a while, but Scotty had to make sure everything was good with the warp  core while they were at warp.

"Did you see what happened to them?" Jim asked Naomi as he set down Malcolm. She nodded, tears in her eyes.

"I tried. I'm a horrible mother." Naomi said, starting to sob.

"Neither of us are bad parents, freak things happen." Jim said, carefully pulling her into a hug.

"How much of Malcolm's ear?"

"About a centimeter."

"What about Chris' blood loss."

"More than they would've wanted, but she'll be okay."

"Elliot?"

"His wrist is casted, he's okay."

"Good."

Naomi started crying more as Jim held her. Today was the worst day ever, for everyone.