Chapter 32: Back to Square One

*two weeks later. Warning of many things that I can't list because it spoils the whole chapter. Let's just say depression and some things that can come with it.* 

"Jim, for gods sake you need sleep!" Naomi yelled, doing her bet to get her husband to sleep. He hadn't eaten either, but that was another argument.

"I don't need sleep." He mumbled, running through the halls. Naomi ran after him, trying to slow him down.

"It's been six days. The ship isn't under attack, nothing's been happening, what's wrong?!" Naomi asked, picking up speed to catch up with him.

"There's just...." Jim began before pausing in his words. "There's just so much to do."

"Jim, again, nothing is happening. Nothing has recently happened. You were doing great for a week. The kids aren't sick or injured. You weren't this stressed before when you were working." Naomi told him, tears forming from worry and frustration.

"I'm just worried and stressed." Jim mumbled, starting to job faster.

"You don't need to be. I'm super worried, Jim." Naomi said, grabbing his hand, tugging him to a stop with all her strength. She pushed him into a closet and let the door close.

"Naomi!" Jim whined, trying to leave. But Naomi locked the door. She stared at him in the dimly lit room, her face of stone.

"Jim. You. Need. To. Stop." She growled, gritting her teeth. Tears were now running down her face in frustration and worry.

"Naomi, I'm sorry. I can't control any of it. I just can't. I'm so sorry." Jim mumbled, pulling Naomi closer. "I want to spend time with you and the kids, I love all of you. I want to not be so stressed and worried, I'm sorry. I love you. I love the kids. I'm so terribly sorry."

Jim kissed her, tasting salt from her tears. He cried a little himself, but he pushed her into the wall. They continued to kiss, Jim moving around. He moved his hand to the wall and unlocked the door.

"I have to go Naomi. Love you and the kids!" Jim yelled, running back out into the hallway.

Naomi stood in the darker closet, her knees starting to buckle. She slowly slid to the ground, knocking over some cleaning supplies. Tears poured down her face. She just let them fall, curling into a ball on the ground.

"Hello?" A familiar voice yelled through the door. Naomi didn't move, she just kept crying. The door opened and Alaska stood out in the hall, Ellie on her left. "Naomi?" She asked, setting Ellie down and helping Naomi sit up. The door had closed already. "What happened?"

"Jim..... Sick....... Won't...... Sleep...... Or...... Eat....... Worry......." Naomi managed to say between words. Alaska pulled her into a hug, Ellie wrapping her chubby arms around Naomi's arm.

"He needs to rest. He needs to eat. What he's doing is horrible." Alaska told Naomi, trying to calm her down.

"I feel like it's my fault!" Naomi yelled, taking in a big breath to yell. Alaska pulled her closer.

"It's not your fault, sweetie." Alaska said, trying to calm.

"You're a nice lady, Omi." Ellie said, trying to help.

"Thanks Ellie." Naomi said, smiling at the little girl a little bit. "Alaska, it's really my fault. I need to get him to stay at home and sleep, or eat. Something."

"Shh, please stop crying. Non of this is your fault, it's all Jim. He loves you and the kids though, just know that." Alaska soothed, sitting in Naomi's left to hug her. Chekov must have heard something from outside the closet, because he came in now.

"Naomi, are you alright?" He asked, sitting down next to Naomi on her right. He picked up Ellie and set her on his lap before hugging Naomi.

"Jim's not okay." Naomi mumbled, more sobs wracking through her body.

"I know, I'm worried too. Obviously not as much. I'll do what I can, I promise." Chekov muttered, putting his head on her shoulder. "I'll go to work and try to get him to do that now."

Chekov left, Naomi and Alaska sitting in the closet. After about fifteen minutes, they left. Naomi took a while off of work and she got the kids. They sat around playing for a while.

Meanwhile, Chekov had gotten Jim to go to an observation deck. "What do you want Chekov?" Jim asked when he was on the observation deck. Chekov had locked the door and faced the captain, serious.

"We all need you to sleep and eat. Naomi was having an emotional breakdown on the closet. Alaska's worried, McCoy is worried, Spock's worried, everyone's worried." Chekov said. "If you won't eat, at least sleep."

Chekov got him some water, sneaking in a sleeping pill. "Mr. Chekov, I don't need your help." Jim said, trying to push Chekov away.

"Captain, I need you to drink the water and lay down. What you are doing is really unhealthy. Please captain, everyone needs you healthy and well rested. Please." Chekov begged, trying to give him the water.

"No!" Jim yelled, smashing the glass of water to the ground. The glass shattered at his feet, making the ground sharp and slippery.

"Captain-" Chekov started to say, but Jim would hear it. With all remaining strength, Jim shoved Chekov into the wall. Chekov's head made a cracking sound as he fell to the ground, glass slits pushed into his face and body. As Jim stormed out, he looks back at the eighteen year old Ensign. Blood was already pulling on the ground.

Jim alerted sickbay and walked up to the bridge. Everyone was worried, but went to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jim didn't come back that night as expected. The kids were really worried, but Naomi was worse. Chekov was found by sickbay with a pool of around his head. Jim did come back later that day, his eyes red.

"Jim!" Naomi yelled, hugging him.

"Naomi." Jim mumbled, looking down at the ground.

"Sleep. Please." She said, moving him to the bed. He nodded and laid down, falling asleep quickly.