Chapter 28: The Stress is Over

*two weeks later*

Jim's stress level had gone down. He ate more and slept more. Elliot got the cast off of his wrist, the break wasn't that bad in the first case. Just enough to have cast for a while.

Malcolm's ear wound had closed, but his ear would never grow back to its normal shape. Chris was allowed out of sickbay, the stitches still in her head. Jim was relaxed so much more, business back to normal on the Enterprise. Chris would wear a little bow in her short hair to cover the stitches.

Jim sat in the quarters, giving Chris a bottle. This was his favorite thing to do. Give the baby a bottle. He could just watch as she slowly finished the food before falling asleep in his arms. She was one of the best things that had happened to him in his life. She was so small and fragile and he loved her a lot.

The twins were in a phase of resistance against Jim and Naomi. They liked to fuss and fight against everything. Naps, food, water, baths, anything and everything.

Jim got an alert saying he was needed on the bridge immediately. He was torn between calling Naomi to get Chris, or taking her to the bridge. He chose the latter.

As carefully as possible, Jim carried Chris to the bridge. The instant he walked in, he was dragged to sitting into the captains chair. Uhura gingerly took Chris, careful not to wake the sleeping baby. Jim was filled in on everything that was happening. They were within range of StarFleet communications. Which also meant they could talk to they're families on Earth.

Jim had a meeting with StarFleet command until he made an announcement that they were within range for two days. He walked back to quarters, Naomi met him there with the twins. Smiling, they called her family.

"Naomi! Jim!" Becca exclaimed, tears in her eyes. Joey, Natalie, Nathan, and Noah joined her on the screen.

"Hi mom!" Naomi said smiling. Jim grinned widely.

"You had the baby!" Becca exclaimed, starting to cry.

"Well, it's been nine months since we last talked and I was almost halfway through then." Naomi said jokingly, standing up to get Chris. She held her up so they could see the baby.

A collective of awes sounded through the monitor. "She's so beautiful." Natalie muttered, astounded by the small baby.

"What happened to her?" Joey asked, looking closer at the screen.

"There was an incidents a while back. Well, a couple incidents." Jim started saying before turning to Naomi.

"Well, his step father Frank, had snuck onto the ship a while back. He slowly tortured Jim and me. He kidnapped a couple of our friends, their kids, and our kids. I was there too. He hurt us bad, stabbed me in the stomach. I most likely won't be able to have kids again. There's a chance, but it's slim and the pregnancy will be high risk." Naomi explained, a tear running down her cheek.

"Awe." Becca mumbled, starting to cry.

"What happened to Chris?" Joey asked again.

"Well, that was the second incident. Klingons attacked the ship. There was an explosion. The kids were hurt. Nothing fatal, but some scars." Jim started saying, getting the twins. Naomi still was holding Chris.

"Chris got a cut on her head. She has stitches right now, but she'll be okay. Elliot had a broken wrist. Malcolm's missing some of his ear." Naomi finished saying. Jim showed them Malcolm's ear, which just made Becca sob even more.

"At least they're okay." Noah muttered to himself.

Naomi and Jim nodded, looking down at the babies in their arms. "What's been going on there?" Jim asked, trying to make it happier.

"I'm engaged!" Nathan yelled, a wide grin on his face.

"Yay!" Naomi yelled, smiling at her brother. Malcolm and Elliot covered their ears from the loud noise. "Sorry." She muttered, kissing their cheeks.

"It's Melissa Johnson." Nathan said.

"Alaska's sister?!" Naomi exclaimed, smiling. Nathan nodded. "That makes Alaska and I related somehow!"

"Are you okay, Jim?" Becca asked, her face getting worried.

"It's the same as last time. I'm not a stress eater. I don't sleep either." Jim mumbled, staring down at his stomach. It was thinner than usual and his ribs were visible through a tighter shirt.

"I'm sorry Jim." Becca mumbled, looking over at the babies in their arms again. "Those two have grown up so much!"

"Hi!" Elliot yelled, waving his un injured wrist.

"Hi." Becca waved back.

"We want to call Winona tonight, but we'll call again before we are out of range in a couple days. Love you!" Naomi said, waving goodbye. Jim and the twins did the same, Naomi waved Chris' hand and the connection was cut out.

They called Winona and she had the same reactions, only it was bigger for Jim's health. She's always seen him suffer in pain, but never accepted it.

Later that night when the kids were asleep, Jim and Naomi lay in bed, unable to sleep. "This is the hardest thing I've done in my life." Naomi mumbled, tears forming in her eyes.

Jim rolled over and wrapped his arms around her and held her close. "This is hard." He mumbled.

"At least we have our family." Naomi muttered, looking over at the twins room. Chris currently stayed in the main room with Jim and Naomi while the twins had a separate small room.

"That's true." Jim mumbled, putting his hand on Naomi's wait. "It's pretty great. Despite the stress."

"Yeah." Naomi muttered, falling asleep in his strong arms.