Chapter 43: Bored

*one day later*

"Spock, please bring me something to do I'm bored!" Uhura begged Spock, her eyes pleading.

"You need rest Nyota." Spock insisted, signing reports on a PADD.

"All I've done is rest Spock, I need something to do. I'll read reports, practice linguistics, something." Uhura insisted, trying to move over closer to Spock. He instantly jumped up and slowly moved her back to her original place.

"Fine, but you're not supposed to move too much." Spock caved, leaving to get her PADD from their quarters.

Tegwyn sat at Chekov's bed, waiting for him to wake after surgery. Naomi had put in an IV and stayed in the room to monitor vitals. He had an oxygen mask over his face, stickers on his chest to measure his heartbeat. He was doing okay, nothing wrong.

"Uh, Naomi?!" Jim yelled, running into sickbay. Malcolm had managed to shove a bouncy ball into his mouth and Jim couldn't get it out.

"Weren't you watching him?" Naomi asked, instantly getting Malcolm to a sickbay bed.

"Yeah, I turned around for honestly give seconds and then Elliot's yelling 'choke choke.'" Jim explained, keeping Malcolm busy so he didn't swallow.

"For gods sake." Naomi muttered under her breath, putting gloves on. Slowly and carefully, she pulled the bouncy ball out of Malcolm's mouth. He sat, jaw hanging open, for a good minute before his lips started quivering and he cried.

"Mommy!" He yelled, reaching his arms out to Naomi. She picked him up and bounced him on her hip. Jim kissed his forehead and laughed.

"Where are the other kids?" Naomi asked when Malcolm had calmed down a little.

"Oh sh-"

"Not in front of Malcolm." Naomi warned. Jim nodded and ran out to go back and watch Elliot and Chris.

"Silly Daddy. He forgot Elliot and Chris." Malcolm told Naomi, giggling.

"He is silly." Naomi agreed, setting Malcolm back down on the bed. He walked with her over to Chekov's room. Naomi needed to check vitals again. Every 30 minutes after a surgery of this extent. Naomi just stayed there before because he was her friend.

"What wrong with Chekov?" Malcolm asked, pronouncing Chekov correct for the first time ever.

"He had surgery to fix something by his tummy." Tegwyn explained, picking Malcolm up to sit on her lap.

"Why?" Malcolm asked, looking at both Naomi and Tegwyn.

"It was hurting. He needed to have a surgery to fix it." Naomi told him from the other side of the room. She was checking the vitals.

"Why was it hurting?" Malcolm asked. Sheesh the kid was full of questions.

"He got an infection. Some bad germ that made things very bad." Tegwyn answered, trying to make it easier for him to understand.

"How did that happen?" Malcolm asked yet again.

"It just did." Tegwyn stated, shrugging her shoulders.

"Get better Chekov." Malcolm muttered, kissing Chekov's hand before walking out of the room. Curios and worried, Naomi followed.

"Hello Malcolm." Nyota Uhura said, smiling.

"Hi. Are you sick?" Malcolm asked, climbing up onto a chair in the room. Naomi was closely behind.

"Sorry, he's been exploring a little." Naomi explained, laughing.

"No, it's alright. I could use the company. And to answer your question, yes I am sick." Nyota laughed, smiling at Malcolm.

"I'll make it better." Malcolm muttered, jumping of the chair and climbing up the bed. He kissed Nyota's forehead and giggled. "All better."

"Yes Malcolm, thank you." Nyota smiled. Satisfied, Malcolm jumped of the bed and made his way onto the chair again.

"Mommy and Daddy said your having two babies. Like Elliot and me." Malcolm said, squirming in the chair.

"Yes I am."

"Then why are you in sickbay?"

"My babies aren't fully human."

"Why not?"

"Because their father isn't entirely human."

"Why not?"

"His mother was human and his father was Vulcan."

"Oh." Malcolm uttered, understanding. "You're tummy is getting big."

"That's what happens when you have a baby." Naomi explained, smiling. "Remember when my tummy was big?"

"Yeah! And then Chris was born!" Malcolm yelled from excitement.

"Yup, and her tummy is getting big because she'll have babies of her own." Naomi finished, laughing at the fact that she's already explained this a few times.

"Nyota, why are you awake?" Spock asked, walking into the room.

"I wasn't sleeping and then Malcolm came in so we've been talking." Nyota explained, sighing.

"Oh." Spock mumbled, handing her the PADD. "Not too long and then you need rest."

"Yes sir." Nyota joked, smiling as Malcolm ran out of the room.

"See you later." Naomi said, chasing after the toddler.

That night, Naomi came home to a sleeping husband and two sleeping kids. Cautiously, she stepped around various toys and set Malcolm in his playpen. He had been yawning for a while since he missed his afternoon nap. He fell asleep almost instantly.

"Hey sleepy head." Naomi whispered, kissing Jim to wake him up.

"Hi." Jim mumbled, stretching before burying his face in a pillow.

"Wore you out, huh?" Naomi smiled, kissing the back of his head.

"Yeah, three kids is exhausting." Jim muttered, barely audible from the pillow.

"I know, especially with two in they trouble phase." Naomi told him, hugging him from the back. "Just don't overwork yourself again."

"I'll try not to." Jim promised, turning his head to face her. "Eating his hard though, not a stress eater."

"I've heard that a million times and I understand. Just relax before you eat and then be as stressed out as you want. Don't be stressed, but you know what I meant." Naomi said, kissing his forehead. "Just be careful on the away mission tomorrow, promise? I don't need you passing out on me."

"I promise."