13 - No One Would Listen

-Erik-

I watched as Nathalie walked away from me saying that we both needed time to think. I gritted my teeth trying to stay calm as she had left. I waited for her to be gone out of ear shot so I could calm down.

Once I was sure she was far enough I turned and punched the nearest concrete wall as hard as I could. I looked down at the now bleeding hand as I sighed. I felt tears building in my eyes as I ignored the pain from my hand and walked over to a wall where a bunch of drawings that I had done over the years of knowing her. The drawings I have done of her.

How could you know someone for such a short period of time. And fall so fast? I couldn't help but let a few tears fall as I thought of what could happen if I didn't try to fix this between me and Nathalie. If I didn't fix this, I would be left alone yet again. To my solitude.

I remembered that she was crying as she left I wanted to know why. If I was the one who made such a sweet girl cry... Just confirms how much of a monster I am. I don't deserve her if I was just going to make her cry.

I remembered her gentle touch, how she didn't scream when she saw my face. How she didn't run, or tell me to hide my face. Like my mother had. She walked up to me and hugged me.

I kept replaying the scenes in my head and as much as those three words made me happy to finally hear by someone. It pained me just as much because she was crying as she said it.

I thought back to our time spent together. Her gentle smile, her kind voice, her beautiful eyes and personality. I thought back to how she played the violin and the sad tune of the song she made and the twist I was able to make to it as we worked together on the piece. The friendship that built over time, she even helped me to get over her. To be able to move further and past the time I spent with her. My time and inspiration was put into someone else. Someone worth giving it to.

I walked over to my piano and sat down in my chair slowly. I looked at the notes scribbled onto the piece of paper. I had begun to write Nathalie a song awhile ago. One that I hoped that would clear that secret sadness she held in her eyes, voice and personality.

I gently set my hands on the keys and the next part of the song would be slow. One that I hoped would show her, when I showed it to her. To clear up my feelings.

I glanced over at the table where my mask sat. I slowly picked it up and placed it back into its rightful place. I slid off my tail coat and stood up to hang it up. Leaving me in my white shirt and trousers.

I stood in front of the mirror and remembered her expression when she saw what laid behind the mask. I looked down as another stray year threatened to escape.

No one would listen
No one but her
Heard as the outcasts hears

I walked over to my piano and my desk, looking at the music we had been writing together as I frowned. What could I do to show her how I feel...

Shamed into solitude
Shunned by the multitude
I learned to listen
In my dark my heart had music

I longed to teach the world
Rise up and reach the world
No one would listen
I alone could hear the music

I looked over at her chair she usually sat in and I remembered her playing her violin.

Then at last a voice in the gloom
Seemed to cry "I hear you;
I hear you fears
Your torment and your tears"

She saw my loneliness
Shared in my emptiness
No one would listen
No one but her
Heard as the outcast hear..

I sat down at my piano ruffle shoving my elbow into the keys causing a very loud and unpleasant sound as I looked down with my hands behind my neck.

(Another short chapter sorry.)