ShikaTema: Nervous Habits

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The sound of pacing footsteps was echoing off the walls of the waiting room, down the eerily silent hallways of the hospital.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

With a heavy sigh Shikaku put his elbow on the chair's arm rest, and put his chin in the palm of his open hand.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Yoshino sat next to him knitting furiously with an odd expression on her face. knitting was her go to when ever she was stressed out and nervous. She had already knit three baby bonnets, two jumpers, and five pairs of socks. They varied in colors of blue, pink, yellow, and orange. Coming to the end of yet another spool of yarn, she picked up another and continued even faster than she was going before.

Shikaku ran his fingers over the top of his head, his black hair was traced with a few grey hairs, but still pulled up in it's traditional pony tail. He watched his wife knit at the speed of ten thousand craft workers, not breaking her fixed stare the entire time.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

Shikaku felt annoyance slowly bitting away at him. He slouched over the other side of his chair, trying to catch glimpse of his son, who was still pacing around like a mad man.

Leaning back in the other direction he gave his wife a smug look.

"He gets that from you, ya know." Shikaku scratched his eye brow. "Let's hope that bad habit isn't passed down onto this next generation."

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Sill pacing back and forth.

"I can't help it!" Yoshino snapped, but yet, didn't miss a beat in her pacing. "I always knit when I'm nervous, or stressed!"

"Which is where Shikamaru picked up his pacing habit from." Shikaku smiled. It was annoying, yet endearing trait.

"Damn it. I hate this." The murmured words could still be heard in the waiting room.

Yoshino leaned over, narrowing her eyes at her husband. "He didn't get his bad mouth from me."

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Slam.

"Damn it! What's going on? Why is it taking so fucking long!" Shikamaru yelled as he slammed him balled up fist against the wall.

No one in the waiting room said anything, only exchanging glances.

Shikaku narrowed his eyes back. "Well at least he didn't get his temper from me."

There was a moment of silence, then the pacing started back up again.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Kankuro was sitting next to Gaara, and awkwardly tried to make small talk with Shikamaru's best friend, Choji.

"This is pretty out of character, hu?" Kankuro said to Choji some what quietly incase he over-heard. "I thought Shikamaru was a level headed guy."

"He is." Choji said, a mouth full of potato chips. "But he has his mother's tempter, sort of- it lies dormant until, well, something like this happens. Don't worry about it."

"Take it easy on those vending machine chips- we may be in a hospital but you don't need to make yourself sick." Ino scolded.

"Hey, Mr .Nara?" Naruto was sitting in with his legs crossed, bouncing it up and down, clearly impatient. "Were you like this when Shikamaru was born?"

"Hm?" Shikaku looked over to the blonde haired man. "Yes, I was. Not as badly, but still the same. I didn't pace, however, i bit my nails down to stubs. Nervous habit."