Chapter 30

that gif is super cute :) it reminds me of lashton in this story

It was hard to believe that today was the day that Ashton was graduating, and the thought scared the shit out of him. Especially since he didn't have the support from his boyfriend. He always loved the idea of finally being able to do what he wanted, to be free. But now since he's officially out of school, he realised that school was a slip. Now he was getting thrown into the deep end all over again.

It felt like he had one foot in reality, and one foot in the gutter.

Ashton sighed deeply, adjusting his tie and checking to see if he looked decent. Despite the fact that he gained a little bit of weight, he was thankful that it didn't really show. He couldn't decide if he wanted to wear his glasses or contacts, although it didn't seem to matter. But maybe he should wear his glasses, Anne promised she would send Luke photos of him and Luke loved his glasses.

Ashton decided to put on the black rimmed glasses, and moved his curly hair out of his eyes. He stood there for a few seconds, thinking about how things have changed this year and how Michael wouldn't be standing next to him while they waited to get their diploma. Ashton's thoughts ran wild, his mind sinking into a black hole, causing him to hiccup through sobs. The boy walked back into his bedroom, sitting on his bed and took deep breaths in attempt to calm himself down.

With shaky hands, Ashton grabbed his phone from his pocket, scrolling through his contacts until he came across Luke's. After requesting to FaceTime, the boy waited, still sobbing quietly and when Luke is unavailable to FaceTime came up on the screen, his heart broke. The one person he needed to talk to right now, wasn't available. It got Ashton wondering what else he could possibly be doing right now that was more important than his boyfriend.

What the fuck else could go wrong.

"What's wrong?" Liz asked her son, seeing a worried look on his face.

"Ashton wants to FaceTime, he only ever wants to FaceTime when he's upset." Luke said, chewing his nail nervously.

"Don't answer, this has to be a surprise!" Luke sighed, hitting decline and locked his phone screen, looking out the car window and fidgeting in his seat.

They had just over an hour to get to Sydney for Ashton's graduation, and he was worried they wouldn't make it in time.

"Calm down, okay? we'll make it." Liz assured, reading his thoughts. However, Luke was still freaking out. Of course even if they do miss Ashton's graduation, he'll still be able to see him after. Anne was in on the plan, and she said they could stay at her place for as long as necessary. Luke couldn't wait to hold his beautiful boyfriend in his arms. He was never going this long without seeing him again.

Luke wanted Ashton to be really surprised, that's why it seemed appropriate to show up at the graduation. Even though Ashton might fall off the stage. Luke's phone buzzed, signalling he got a message and his heart stopped when seeing that it was a picture of Ashton in his suit with Lauren and Harry. They were all holding hands and Ashton had those fucking glasses on that Luke loved.

"Look at Ash," Luke said, sounding like a lovesick fool. Liz grabbed Luke's phone, checking the road and glancing at the picture. Liz smiled, heart warming at the sight of Ashton smiling with his siblings, it almost felt like Ashton was her own son.

"He looks happy," Liz commented, handing the phone back to Luke. The blonde smiled to himself, typing 'I can't wait to see him :) xx' before hitting send. That photo made Luke feel better, so he just looked out the window and waited until they reached Sydney.