New, Yet Old

Once I had reached the balcony, I had had Abbey healed and handed Jazmine my necklace and her body. I had been too exhausted to do anything otherwise.

Once I returned to the castle, my father had practically shoved blood packets down my throat. It was exhilirating and rejuvenating. But I could stay awake no longer.

I clambered down into bed to find Abbey resting peacefully beside me. I smiled and cuddled my "Sister".

That was the end of yesterday.

Today, was the day for our war. Everyone was rushing, the armory was being cleaned out, and even little Bryan was running around, helping people with weapons.

Abbey was awake and nudging me. I opened my eyes and smiled at her, "Dream well, Abbey?"

She smiled and full-out hugged me, "Thank you..."

I patted her back and sat up, rolling out of bed to tumble onto a suit of black. Abbey laughed as I took down the armor to the floor.

"What is it?" I loomed over it.

"That's... Your armor. Just a hint." she giggled.

I held it at arms length and looked it over. The shoulders had pads of black about an inch thick with metal plates as thick as tooth picks deep inside each padding. I could sense them there. There were black pads on my chest, thighs, shins, knees, elbows, and mid-arms all held together with four or five layers of silk. I noticed in the mid-arms there are sheaths, for when I bend my arms, a dagger will flip out and cut Silas.

Slowly, I slid my armor on and felt a chill at my spine. Looking in the mirror I saw two lines making a large V on my back, and as if reading my mind, my wings slid out and folded in so I didn't whack anyone with them.

Abbey slid on her own armor, similar to mine but thinner pads and no sheaths. I hugged her and said, "you have an important job, instead of the war."

She eyed me suspisciously and said, "What?"

"You will watch after Bryan and attack people below with your spells."

She smiled and blushed at this, "Anything for you."

I patted her shoulder and turned to check on everyone, but Abbey stopped me, "Dont do anything stupid Shelby, you have our faith, and my pride. I love you girl." and then she pulled me into a feirce hug.

Once I left, I saw dad with a bag full of weapons walking down the hall, and I sprinted to catch him. I hooked my hand into his sleeve and he turned. I looked up at him and said, "I love you..."

His eyes glassed over and he dropped the bag, embracing me just as feircly as Abbey did, maybe even more. But all I knew was that I was tainting his black armor with my black tears.

"I know you will make me proud out there babygirl. Whether you win or lose, just know I love you so much." he was crying into my hair and said, "Did I ever tell you look just like your mother? You remind me so much of the woman."

I gripped his shirt tighter and said, "Go see her. As much as I love you and how important you are to me, I need someone to shove me further into this mess, and she needs someone to hold on to her when things may get intense for her."

"You underestimate your mother, Shelby. She's a strong woman." he said.

I looked at him and wiped my eyes, "Even the strongest women need a little help, daddy."

It was weird, I hadn't called him that for years. But I never expected I would be in war, the thought doesn't cross five year old's little minds.

He mulled it over a minute and nodded, picking up the bag and opening it up, he slid out a small box.

Nick's box.

"How did you get him?" I said in astonishment.

"One of the surgeons in Silus's castle said to tell you 'thanks for the marriage advise.' He said you'd know what he meant."

I did know what he meant and I snatched the box, holding it to my chest, "Nick." I whispered.

Something glowed in response and I nearly cried, "I love you both. Don't do anything stupid, okay?" I kissed the box and then I kissed my father, "I'll visit often. I promise. Nick?" the box glowed, I smiled, "You're an idiot."

I rushed off toward the dining hall, grabbing several blood packets and chugging them down.

I stopped and realized everyone was gone. The bells were ringing from the battle feild and on the other side of the hall was the one person I hadn't expected to see.

"Dr- Drucilla?" I squeaked.

She smiled a soft smile and said, "My dear Shelby. I must show you something." and she started walking to me.

The world slowed as I stopped time, but she kept walking, and I kept stopping and starting it, like a light switch with a toddler.

I stopped and inhaled quickly as she now stood in front of me. Then she did something I had never expected her to;

She hugged me.

I was frozen with shock and fear, as she hugged me tightly and cried, "I just found out last night and made my way here before your war."

"Wha-...?" I choked.

She stepped back and formally handed me and envelope, trying to recompose herself.

I looked at the date, and was shocked to see it was just after my mother died.

"I decided since it was from your father, I wouldn't open it. But last night it fell out of my desk drawer and I finally decided whatever happened years couldn't slap me today." Drucilla explained.

"You knew my father?" I asked but all she did was mod at the note.

So I read aloud; "Drucilla, terrible catastrophic things have happened! A week ago, it seems your sister passed away.

But according to Shell, who doesn't completely understand, it seems Alexilia has been murdered. I plan to go to the ends of the earth to find her killer.

But as it seems, your niece Shell needs someone to watch after her. Would it be too much to ask for you to be a part of her life?

We are having the ceremony for your sister's funeral next Friday, please, I beg you, take part in your sister's affairs, they're. Not mine anymore...

-Your Brother-In-Law"

"So my dad- My mom was-" I took a breath, "So... You're my aunt..."

"Indeed. Who would have guessed I had my own niece as a slave. This won't be good on my record, but I'm willing to do anything to make it up to you."

"No you don't have to do that..." I sighed a frustrated sigh.

We stood there, thinking of something to say, until Drucilla spoke, "They never told me."

"Told you what?" I asked.

"That they had a daughter." she chuckled sadly and I saw her eyes water, "I disagreed with their marriage. Thought it was disgusting and shameful to our name. I told your mother I wanted nothing to do with her and her family."

I dropped the letter and embraced my new aunt. This time it was her turn to freeze up, but she quickly relaxed and cried in my shoulder.

Thank god, I thought, that I froze time.

After we embraced, we separated, and Drucilla made a drastic decision.

"I'd like to fight with you." she said.

"Nope! Nope!... No. Nope!" I said, "Not happening! I just got my aunt, I don't want to lose her again."

"Shell," she looked at me. "If I had a death wish, do to actually think I'd ask to join you? Plus you need help, I heard Silas has been working on his powers and entwining them with something deep, something dangerous."

I sighed, "True. Alright, just... Don't die."

She embraced me once more before heading off.

And soon enough I could hear those clock bells ringing again.