What Are You Hiding From Me?

A day has passed since I arrived at the farmhouse Chester and Flint had brought me to. I stood alone in the garden, a blue picket fence abridging the separation between the beautiful colorful flowers and I.

As I strode along the fence, my fingers lightly brushing the edge of the rough wood, I couldn't help but eye the bandages that covered my stomach. To my own amazement, after a good rest, my wound had healed nearly fully. Though, due to the nightmares I awoke to last night, I wouldn't have called it a good rest.

"How are you feeling?" Flint's voice carried on from behind me.

I turned and faced him slowly, unknown to me, my hand had found it's way to my stomach. My half-lidded gaze showed my original, yet exhausted turquoise eyes as I examined his attire.

Flint had his dark locks brushed back sloppily for a farming hat and his gorgeous tan skin was rustled in dirt and dried mud. He wore overalls and working boots, his flannel shirt was rolled to his elbows.

"This wasn't a bear injury," I claimed, recalling visions from my dreadful nightmares.

His gaze fell and he scratched the back of his head awkwardly.

"No, it wasn't."

"Okay."

Surprised by my solemn acceptance, his gaze lifted back to mine.

"Okay?" He repeated.

"Yes, okay," I nodded, "It will take time, but I'm sure this isn't the first time I've lost some memories. They will come back to me, just let me learn why..." I didn't finish my sentence as my hand stroked my stomach slowly.

"Chess wants you in soon for lunch," Flint changed the subject, "before then, would you like to see them?"

It took me a moment to realize he was gesturing to the flower bed. I nodded without hesitation.

"I'm a hero, you know," I almost asked Flint, hoping he'd deny it and I was incorrect about my status.

"Yes, you are," he confirmed, almost to my disappointment.

"Why do you look like that?"

"Look like what?" I replied.

"Saddened.."

I remained quiet, not quite sure myself.

"Teach me.." I whispered, gazing across the exotic flowers.

"Teach..?"

"They'll be looking for me.." I murmured, almost to myself.

"Who?" Flint asked from behind me.

"The ones who care about me also," I turned to face him.

"Huh?" His eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

"I feel as though I was not alone before I was lost," I paused, pondering, "someone will look for me soon. So for the time being, teach me how to be a gardener. I want.."

'A distraction.'

I finished the rest of the statement in my mind, but not one word escaped my lips.

"SHELBY! FLINT!"

A call sounded from the farmhouse, signaling our return for lunch.

"So will you? Please?" I begged.

"Well," he paused, rubbing his hand across the back of his neck, "I suppose we could use some help."

A smile lit up my face in the reflection of his emerald eyes, and soon I darted off carefully to the farmhouse.