Volatile Times

I hurried through the maze of a mansion, suddenly forgetting my routes. My nerves making me forget how to find the exit, I turned around a corner and face planted a wall.

I fell to the ground and sat up, looking up at this new wall. I was shocked to see him, so healthy, so new, so refreshed.

"Nick..." I whispered.

"I think it's time for the prince to get off his ass and save the princess for once." he said, holding a hand out for me to take.

A smile ignited my face as I took it and hugged him tightly. He kissed my hair and said, "Now, let's go save the world."

We rushed out the doors of the mansion and I tried clearing my mind. I cleared as much as I could until I realized Nick had stopped.

I whirled and faced him, slowly taking in his beautiful build. He had on black armor and a black lacy scarf-like thing around his ankle. He held out a white one to me.

I reached out and wordlessly took it. And like the rose I had touched, things went white. And then my armor was white as snow. I knew not to question these small miracles, so I tied the lace around my ankle and took Nick's hand.

We continued to run, him in black armor and me in white, and I had to say we looked terribly like yin and yang.

As I looked ahead, I saw vampires and demons, waiting for their leaders' calls. And above I saw Silas, waiting patiently for me. His back was turned from me, but I was sure he sensed me.

I looked to my right at Nick and he offered me his hand. His lace glowed as his mind spoke to me.

Answering him and knowing what was going to happen, I grabbed his hand and he spun once, launching me in the air like a bullet. In my right hand a spear with a curving blade that ended strait-ward. My left, a shield.

I poised the shield in a protective motion as I came closer and saw his grip on his spear and shield tighten.

He whirled and struck my shield, this strike ending the rings of the clock, and merging the two large groups of soldiers.

My wings clicked and unfolded behind me. I narrowed my gaze.

My mind was in the game now and I couldn't afford a distraction.

I lashed out with my spear at Silas but I only grazed him, enough to knock out a tooth. He spat it out and lashed at me, as I defended myself with my shield.

We held our places there for a moment, his spear against my shield, struggling for the upper hand, and after another minute I slammed the shield away with his spear and struck out with my own.

It grazed his chest and where it slid, ice appeared and frosted over the wound. He howled with pain.

Driven with rage, he lashed out and I tried to dodge, but it grazed me also.

Then he chuckled, "You see princess, I've been working on some experiments," the graze wound turned a shade of purple and died down. Then I had a sensation to drop my weapons.

I quickly stepped on and squashed the desire, "Of course you have just felt what my spear can cause. To surrender. To forfeit. To accept that you have lost." he swiped at me again, but this time I was able to dodge it.

"This time it was just a graze. But what of I were to do..."

Strike!

"This?"

I looked at my right shoulder and saw the spear had pierced the skin about an inch deep. I gripped the spear tightly and launched it out of my skin, with a loud howl of pain.