I-... Is It Safe Yet?

I opened my eyes to see a familiar tan ceiling, and turned my head to see a familiar bedspread. My neck ached, actually, my whole body ached. I decided it was best if I didn't move, though laying restlessly in bed made me wanna get up so I ignored the pain. If it got too bad, I'd heal myself but until then I ventured the halls.

        Looking around, I saw that Maya was standing guard outside my room. Staying silent, I cloaked myself in blue and yellow. Outside the door, I stood right beside Maya, who just smiled and said, "Good morning, Shelby. You've been asleep for three days- shall I notify the others that you're awake?"

        I sighed in defeat, uncloaking myself and asking, "How'd you know? And no, that's not necessary. I don't wanna be disturbed just yet."

        She looked at me and said, "I can smell your stitches are about to open. Be careful, you're in a castle full of Vampires," Her ear twitched and she listened for something, "People are coming, better wander now before they start asking me where you went."

        I gave her a grateful smile and cloaked myself in invisibility, gently wandering the halls so that my stitches didn't go crazy. Stopping in the grand hall, I saw a giant chandelier in the center of it. I thought about how those who did not wish to be involved with the war are now coming out of hiding. I wondered if Zara was hiding also, the thought made me heave a sad sigh.

"You know that you're invisible, not inaudible, right?"

        I turned on my heal and saw Silas standing there with a sad smile on his lips. Unveiling myself, I stepped closer to him, filling my features with the same pride I had for him when I died. Silas felt uncomfortable with the memory of the last time he saw that expression on my face. This time, my eye held trust in them too. Which was probably the only reason he let me approach him calmly.

        Silas started, "Shelby, I'm so sorry-," but I cut him off with a, "Shut up and hug me," and embraced the idiot. Before I knew it, my eyes became clouded with thoughts, happy thoughts, and I whispered, "It's finally over, isn't it, Silas?" but you heard no response until you looked up at him. He looked furious, worried and tense, "Silas?" you repeated.

        He looked down at you and his features relaxed, but he seemed to be holding something back. He took on a look of regret and said, "Shelby, Jazmine and Felicia took Cornelius and Viktor up to the mountains to kill Zara."

        "What?!" I exclaimed and tried to pull away from him, "When? I have to get there! No more fighting! No more deaths! I- I- I just..!" I collapsed on the ground in tears and sadness.

        Silas knelt down to me and shushed me, he continued in a quiet tone, "They left the beginning of the Ten Days of Mourning, believing that it would be what you would have wanted. They brought Cornelius as bait for Zara, and as far as I know they had just arrived last night with no intentions of telling what happened until you woke up."

        Not a moment after, Silas and I hurried down the hallways until a few of my stitches broke. Silas took his time to heal my chest cavity and just in case, he carried me to the room. In my opinion it was too much, but he told me that we had to be even for what he did to me, so I kept silent.

        When we arrived, I was still taking it easy on my chest. I opened the doors to see bandages covering Cornelius and Viktor. Felicia and Jazmine knelt beside their beds, they all looked up at me, surprised expressions filled the room. Silas placed his hand on my lower back and gently showed me in. My hands sweat with guilt at the sight of the two men who were burned, locked into a weapon, and forgotten.

        "I- I owe you two an apology," I said, but Cornelius cut me off with a, "Nonsense, we deserved what we got.  If anything we are in the same place as Silas is with you. We owe you a debt on my father's part, after all, he killed your mother."

        To busy my nervous hands, I stood beside the Vampires and started to heal Viktor, but my attention was on Cornelius's words, "H-how... How did it go?" I hesitantly asked, hoping these were the only injuries.

        Felicia stood beside me and said, "Unfortunately his death was quick and painless, but Jazmine promises to keep him in his personal Hell for all of eternity."

        I shook my head and closed my eyes, "No," I looked at Viktor's expression as I focused on his burned neck and shoulders, "No more pain. Just send him to your Island Jaz, where the dead go. I want him to talk to my mom, and I want her to decide what happens to him. It's her and Dad's choice. Not mine."

        "Good point, Shelby," Jazmine said, but I continued, "I wanna be there though, I wanna be there and see Mom make her choice."

        When I turned around to heal Cornelius, he looked up at me with an expression of disbelief, "Why are you doing this?"

"Doing what?" I responded as I watched his wounds reverse.

"Healing your enemies, letting the guy who killed your MOM out of his personal Hell, forgiving everyone who ever did you harm," on the last one, Cornelius looked over at Silas, "and trusting us not to do it all over again."

I looked up at Cornelius with an expressionless face, "Because if I'm in misery, why should everyone else be? If I'm scared, why should I scare everyone else? If I'm unforgiving, there will never be any peace between anyone anymore. It's just what a leader does."

LEADER.

I've never really thought of myself as a leader before, but all this time I've been nothing but a leader. Or at least died trying.

That last thought sent a shiver through my spine, remembering how it felt to be impaled through my chest. My wound started to burn at the memory.

"THERE IS NO PEACE AROUND HERE, IS THERE?!" A voice rang out from the room next door.

Stomping footsteps marched into our room, and I turned to see Cody in a towel, his blonde ringlets dripping water as his scowl was fully directed towards me. I smirked towards him and imagined myself in the shower soaking wet and-

Cody's face erupted in a dark blush and he stumbled backwards, "WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM?!"

"Hm? What seems to be the problem, Cody?" I smirked at him coyly, "Seems someone can't mind their own business."

"YOU'RE the one thinking such lewd thoughts!" He replied, throwing his arm over the blush on his face.

"Huh, was I? Or were you actually imagining something that bad about me? I could have been reading your thoughts, Y'know," I finish Cornelius's wounds and fully turn towards him to see that everyone was looking at Cody, "C'mon, Cody, tell us what you were thinking about me, please?"

To taunt the asshole further, I imagined Cody sliding my shirt up my belly, lifting it further until my bra-

"OH my god," I heard him whimper, grasping the towel tighter and dashing out of the room, "YOU SICK BITCH!"

Giggling, I called back, "PERVERT!"

"Okay," I turned back to Cornelius, "Maybe I'm not perfect."