9. More Enemies.

"He said he was scared of commitment, but he had tattoos all over his skin, I guess he didn't see me as a work of art.
Or maybe he didn't think the pain was worth it."

-Anonymous.

_____________________________________

The King's Chambers,

Crystaline Castle.

**

Before the king could proceed to hurt me in any way, a knock echoed throughout the chambers that came from the big wooden doors of his room.

He let out a frustrated sigh, where on the other hand, I let out a relieved one. Whoever was behind that door, I owed them big time, for saving me from being an easy victim once again.

The King didn't even walk to answer the door, he just flashed across the room before I could even blink once.

I followed him into the room quickly, but at a much slower pace compared to his speed. The king unlocked the doors I never knew were locked, giving me a view of the person who I was very much grateful for showing up.

It was a servant girl about my age.

The King spoke first, "What's the matter?"

"Your majesty, dinner is ready to be served. Your presence is being seeked at the dining hall." the girl stood stiffly with her head down and her hands clasped together in front of her.

"I'll be on my way there, now. But you need to make sure the girl eats something. I don't want her passing out in the middle of the night. The royal heeler has much more valuable things to do than take care of some filthy human," the king said, no doubt referring to me.

"Certainly, your majesty," the girl gave him a final bow as he stepped out of the room and disappeared down the hallway.

Great, now I might actually end up making a friend here, someone besides Maria. This girl seemed to be my age and very much human because of the way she was dressed so simply. She had on a black and white maids outfit and a pair of black flats.

"Hi, I'm Alexis, and you are?" I asked in a polite tone.

"Don't talk to me, you disgusting whore. I don't know what's taking the king this long to just assassinate you when you're a danger towards our Vampire society. I don't know what the hell he sees in that ugly face of yours that people are spreading rumors about how he took one glance at you and changed his mind about killing you. You won't be this lucky for long, eventually---"

"That's enough, Olivia!"

A voice that was oh so familiar to me called out. The only voice that I've been able to trust in all these years.

Maria.

The moment I saw her approach from the halls, I ran towards her. Throwing my arms around her neck, I buried my face in her shoulder.

I missed her so much.

She smelt like peaches. She smelt like home. The security her arms around me made me feel, I never experienced it anywhere else. The motherly love she provided me with, was the most precious thing for me in this cold world.

Even though she didn't gave birth to me, she was a mother to me. She was there when my own mom couldn't be.

"Maria! Where were you? I was so worried when I didn't hear from you these past few days!"

"I'm sorry, darling. I had to go take care of my sister who has been sick for the past week. But now I'm here, and I heard what that cruel monster did to you! Oh my gosh, Lexi, I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you!"

"It's not your fault, Maria, I understand. Truly, I do." I tried to take away some of her guilt.

"But now I'm here, sweetheart. I promise I won't let that sorry excuse of a king anywhere near you. He will have to go over my dead body." she said with determition in her eyes but stopped, turning her attention to the maid, "What are you still doing here? Go bring the poor girl something to eat!"

The maid glared at me one last time before turning to leave.

I pulled Maria inside the room to talk, but the little device she always had on her outfit, started beeping. Its a signal that her presence is needed for a chore.

My happy and cheery mood turned completely upside down.

I think Maria noticed because she quickly said, "don't worry, darling. We'll get plenty of time to talk. I'll come see you the first thing tomorrow morning, till then make sure you eat something and get a good night sleep. You very much need it."

I stared at her for some time, not wanting to let her go. Soon later I nodded and stepped back.

**

I stared at the "food" placed in front me.

It was a round plate that contained some mash potatoes with gravy on top, some vegetables on the side that I strongly disliked. If you ate the same thing everyday, eventually you grow a burning hatred towards that food.

It would taste like plain paper. My taste buds were tired of that.

It's like waking up everyday but still being stuck in the past. Everyday being the same as yesterday.

That has been my life for ten years.

The maid still stood next to me as I sat on a dining chair outside in the balcony.

By now I knew that making any sort of conversation with anyone here would be like putting your own hand in a lion's mouth.

Looks like I had more enemies than I thought.

I unwillingly picked up the spoon and slowly brought it closer to my mouth. Closing my eyes so I wouldn't have to look at the contents on it.

But before I could place the spoon in my mouth, a hand snatched it from my grasp.

I opened my eyes alert fully, while the king himself picked up my plate that contained the awful food, and threw it at the wall.

******************************

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

-J.S