32. Invisible.

"The scariest thing about distance is...

You don't know whether they'll miss you,

Or forget about you."

-The notebook.

_________________________________________

Same place,

Stronger feelings.

**

Alexis' POV ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was having a hard time believing the fact that Damien let Katrina stay at the castle even after what she did to him. What he was thinking is beyond my understandings, I guess love does that to people. Is this what Maria meant when she told me love is blind? What's the purpose of holding onto such emotion when it's just going to prevent you from seeing the end of the cliff on the path you're taking?

I realized a similar emotion was affecting me in a way. It was hard to let go of the fact that this man was the cause of my miserable life. He took everything I had ever loved away from me. Then why is it that when he was telling me his past, I couldn't be more glad that he got everything he ever desired back. He locked me up for ten years, but there I was worrying about him when I saw him in my dream, spending a day at those dungeons.

He abused me on my eighteenth birthday, but here I was on the verge of crying when images of him being tortured flashed through my mind.

This was wrong. I shouldn't be feeling any affection, any sympathy towards him.

But nonetheless, what he went through was something I would never wish upon my worst enemies.

"That's it. That was my last meeting with her, after that, she packed her bags and dissappeared before I could even confront her. And now she's back. Now that I think about it, I shouldn't have even let her stay under my roof. I don't know what came over me... It became impossible for me to say no."

Yeah, because no matter how big of a Monster she is, she will always have you wrapped around her finger. I bit my lips to hold back the words.

"I guess because she's still your wife. You feel a sort of responsibility towards her?"

He laughed but there was no humor in his eyes, "that witch doesn't deserve to be called my wife. Us Vampire's don't believe in divorce. We think if there's really no trust, no devotion in the relationship, it has already been torn apart. We don't need a piece of paper to represent that. She is not my wife anymore."

He emphasized the last sentence, to make sure I understood that. But no matter what he said, I will always see him as her- her husband.

For some reason, the words sounded very strange in my head, but if I keep reminding myself that, maybe it wouldn't hurt as much.

"Stop lying to yourself," Damien took a step towards me, standing a few feet away from me. I got worried when he continued to decrease the distance, while at the same time, making my heartbeat increase. This fact had often gone unnoticed by me, but now it was as clear as those crystals decorating this castle, his presence made my heart run faster, as strange as that sounded.

What he said finally drawn on me. What did he meant by that? It seemed to be responding to what I was thinking about. There was no way had I said that out loud. Unless... My eyes widened.

"You can still read my thoughts?"

"No I can't, " he sighed sadly, but his eyes told a whole different story. His eyes were looking straight into mine, without blinking. He did that when he was lying.