30. Confusion.

"Sometimes, I think of the sun and the moon as lovers who rarely meet, always chase, and almost always miss one another. But once in a while, they do catch up, they kiss. And the world stares in awe at their eclipse."

________________________________________

Outside the King's bedroom,

Crystalline Castle.

**

<><><><><> Alexis' POV <><><><><>

"I missed you so much."

My feet, which were already moving in a slow motion came to a stop as I heard those words come out of the King's mouth. A gasp escaped my lips as I took a step back, away from the King's bedroom. I gripped onto the jug of water because it almost slipped from my sweaty hands. The noise would have surely alerted them of my presence if it had hit the marble floor.

Finally breaking my staring contest with the floor, I looked up to discover the wide opened door of his bedroom.

There they stood, wrapped up in each other's arms. Damien was holding onto the back of her head, preventing her from increasing any distance between them. It seemed like he was in a stance and nothing could ever be more precious than the girl standing in front of him. His hold on her loosened a little, treating her like she's more fragile than a flower vase.

Katrina held onto his arm, as if begging them to never let her go. A glint on her face told me that she was crying. Due to the way her mouth was stretched into a smile, I knew they were happy tears.

She looked happy.

Happy because he had accepted her back. Happy because all it took was a five minutes convincing from her to melt his cold heart. Her eyes pulled him in, drowning him in the pool of emotions. He couldn't escape the way he felt for her, it didn't take long for him to forget about me.

My eyes widened at my own thoughts. Since when did I become so selfish? Since when did I start thinking only about myself? These people were made for each other. For the first time, Damien seemed happy. He didn't look like he lost a part of himself. They looked like a perfectly completed piece of art as they stood before me kissing.

Who was I to ruin their blissful fantasy?

Who was I to take away their happiness?

Without me even noticing at first, a single tear slid down my left cheek. Before it could even reach past my lips, I quickly wiped it away. But soon, as if a dam just broke, more tears followed the last one in a never ending pattern. Trying to wipe away every wet drop on my face, I took a couple steps back so they wouldn't see me. My back was met by the wall in the hallway. I placed the jug on the table beside me because I didn't trust my shaking hands any longer.

Just why am I crying?

I tried to take deep breaths to calm myself down, but it seemed like I couldn't get enough oxygen. I made the mistake of looking at the couple once again, to find Damien not responding to the kiss, but he didn't push her away either. The picture twisted my insides, making me want to throw up. It shattered my heart into a million pieces, making me want to take them out and throw them away so that the pain wouldn't spread to other parts of my body. All I could think of was how in love they were. Not only did that thought acted like a venom in my body, it made me want to end the suffering.

Nothing ever hurt more than knowing his heart belonged to another.

I realized a twisted truth, that I would rather be locked up still than ever see him again.