34. The Locked Room.

"She's the alcohol that keeps him drunk at night but leaves him with a thundering headache and an empty heart in the morning. And even though I try to be the water that sobers him up, he just keeps running back to the same bottle of vodka every night."

________________________________________

The dining hall,

Crystalline Castle.

**

Everyone froze.

The maid, who was in the process of pouring down some red liquid in Damien's glass, looked up and stared at me. Her reaction caused the liquid to start spilling out of the glass when it was all full. Katrina was standing next to Damien while he sat in the seat meant for the King at the very end of the long table. She noticed the liquid that slowly started to make its way towards Damien's sleeve, and let out a yell. She made Damien stand up, while ordering the maid to clean up the mess she created as quickly as possible.

A servant, who was frozen on the spot with a tray filled with food, was snapped back to reality by Katrina's loud voice. He hurriedly placed the tray on the table, and joined the other maid to clean up the spilled liquid.

"Don't let them get to you." Emma whispered, next to me.

She grabbed my hand, walking towards the other end of the table where Eric and a person I didn't recognize sat. She pulled out a chair for me, I smiled at her, thankfully. She took a seat right next to me just as I noticed who was about to sit across from me.

Katrina pulled out the chair directly in front of me as she said, "Damien, why don't you sit here for now?"

It seemed like he has been listening to her every word as he just nodded and sat down. Katrina occupied the chair right next him, shifting it closer to his.

I was having difficulties choosing between whether I should just leave, or face him. But then I realized why should I give him the satisfaction of having some sort of control over me. His actions didn't affect me, and I won't let them start affecting me now.
I will not be a coward, running away from him just because I felt tears swell up in my eyes by just looking at him.

Emma brought me out of my thoughts as she pushed a bowl of pasta towards me. I remembered Maria sometimes seeking in the food when she came to visit. It was actually the only time of the week I looked forward to, when she would bring some pasta.

Just as I picked up the fork, I couldn't help but look up in his direction.

Our gaze was fixed on eachother for mere seconds, but it had a far greater impact on him. Suddenly, his spoon dropped out of his hand, hitting the plate with a loud shattering noise.

His eyes averted from mine as they started looking around, almost confused.

"How did I get here?" He suddenly demanded.

The question wasn't directed towards anyone but everyone at the table, including me turned to look at each other in confusion.

Katrina broke the silence as she laughed, casually, "Damien, you've been sitting here for the past few minutes."

He shook his head, as if he couldn't even make out what she was saying," I was in my room. Then you--"

He pointed a figure at Katrina, but before he could say anything else, the servant who was walking by the table, suddenly tripped.

Or maybe it was planed.

The way Katrina sneakily pushed back her chair a little, didn't go unnoticed by me. The sudden movement caused the servant to hit his feet on the leg of the chair, hence falling over. The stack of plates he was carrying came crashing down with him.