31. Past. (part 1)

" Stop asking me to trust you while I'm still coughing up water from the last time you let me drown."

________________________________________

The spare bedroom,

Crystalline Castle.

**

"Who is she?"

He knew who I was talking about, but took some time in answering, "my wife."

My eyes widened. His what? His wife? His wife. His wife.

No matter how many times the words repeated in my mind, I was having a hard time digesting them. Why didn't I ever think of this before? I just thought they were close, that they really loved each other. But the thought of them being married never crossed my mind. I had so many questions but no answers. I was afraid to ask him about his past. What happened, why they aren't together anymore.

As if reading my mind, he said, "I guess I do owe you an explanation. Do you really want to know? My past. It's not all butterflies and rainbows, Lexi. Just a heads up."

It was now or never, I thought, so I nodded.

"Okay," he sighed and then continued, "A long time ago, when my father adopted me, this Kingdom of Eveland was nothing but a dust on the perfect picture of the Vampire world. Being the oldest land of civilization, it was supposed to be the dominating Kingdom. All of the other Vampires, witches, royals, were supposed to fall under the King of Eveland. The rightful heir to this throne was supposed to be the ruler of the Vampire world. But over the course of time, it all started to changed. The walls of this place that once stood proudly under the sun, started to get old. The system became corrupted because of my grandfather. He was a man who was so overwhelmed with his new power that during those centuries he ruled, everyone else was treated like they were dirt on his feet by him. Everybody saw how selfish he was and how little he did to improve this world. The other Kingdoms became stronger while Eveland grew weaker and weaker. People who had the money started migrating. This island of Eveland lost its dignity, it faded away just like its importance. By the time my father became the king, there was almost nothing left for him to rule over. People didn't take him seriously, they thought he was just like his father. That's when my so called father, King Isaac, adopted me. He found out about my mother being an angel living a peaceful life with her son in the woods. He found out what I was capable of. Not being born made it impossible for me to die. Or at least that's what I think. I believe only my mother would know how to really kill me. But anyways, he saw a better Eveland in my eyes, he told me this himself after he made me believe mother left me. He became my teacher, training me day and night at a young age. Sending me off to fight and kill without thinking twice about it. If I did, he would hurt me tremendously. By the time I hit eighteen, I was prepared to lead an entire army of men. I became in charge of everything, turning this Kingdom around to the way he wanted it."

"You said he found out about what you were capable of. What is that?" I asked.

"Turning invisible, having sharper vision than a normal Vampire, sensing danger, things like that. Oh and the fact that my emotions affect the weather. But I think he main reason he adopted me was because I can fly," he joked, "So as I was saying, everything was in perfect shape for about a century. My father crowned me the new Vampire King the day I hit 25, proud of the person he had turned me into. Showing emotions were a weak person's symptoms, that's what he taught me, and I believed it. I locked away any sort of feelings in me, put up metal walls around my heart so I wouldn't feel. But nothing seemed to be going according to my plan after the day I met her. I saw her at a meeting. It was one of the important conferences which were held once every three months. She was one of the King's most trust assistance. One smile from her was all it took for me find some sort of interest in her. After that, we bumped into each other, not literally, in other places like restaurants in town, bars, etc. I was surprised to find out that even though she worked for my neighbor, she lived in Eveland. Time began to pass by, while we exchanged a few smiles here and there. Then finally I got the nerve to ask her for a dance at a fancy restaurant. I still remember how happy I was when she accepted. I didn't even realize when those meetings which seemed like a coincidence at the time, turned into planned dates. Those dates ended with us sleeping together. It was just casual sex at first but later, it became something serious. After that everything was a blur, engagement, wedding, honeymoon. We were on cloud nine, a point of no return. Everything was a dream come true until that one day..."