24. The man with secrets

Present

Holding a hand of a woman laying unconscious on the hospital bed was a man with a pair of hollow eyes, and a pale yet thin face shaded with the growing stubble and moustache. He was him, Xi Luhan, a husband who had been waiting for his wife to wake up from her deepest slumber for 30 days already.

"Minhee, don't you want to see me?" He started to move him thumb, drawing circle on the top of her hand. "I've been missing you so badly." He muttered, before he lowered his head and kissed her hand.

"Mommy..." A little girl we always knew as Jihyun cooed as she approached and touched the leg of her mother on the bed.

"Please wake up, mommy. I promise, I will be a strong kid. So bad people will not hurt mommy again." She then pouted, and before long she just burst into tears, the routine she'd been doing whenever she came back from school to this white hospital room.

"Look at her, Minhee." Luhan raised his head back and gently pulled the Jihyun into his embrace.

"She is yours, Minhee. Your daughter. Our daughter. She's with us. She's not gone like you think she is. We can finally be together, Minhee. You can't miss this chance. I beg you, Minhee."

Luhan could not help himself anymore and chose to ramble even more. His chest was getting so tight, suffocated with all of the sorrow he's been keeping to himself. He needed to express them all, to tell everything he'd been feeling, and to let her know of how much he wanted her to come back to him.

"Daddy..." The little girl said in between her sob as she noticed her father began to shed some tears just like she did.

"Come on... I know you're strong." Though his voice getting hoarse from crying, Luhan didn't stop. He continued on talking to his unconscious wife, to let her hear him, to give her strength and fight her vulnerability.

"You've proved it to me before. I trust you Minhee. You can do it again. You can get better and come back to us. I believe that." He stated with confidence.

"Daddy, don't worry." Jihyun trailed her tiny fingers on her father's face and wiped away the droplets of tears under his eyes. "Mommy loves Jihyun and daddy. She will wake up and see us again."

Luhan pulled his lips into a small smile for his little girl. "Yeah, you're right Minnie." He said weakly.

"Daddy, my name's not Minnie." Jihyun shook her head; a frown suddenly appeared on her face. "Now, my name's is Jihyun, daddy. Just like my little sister's name." She stated firmly.

"You can have it back, Minnie." Luhan patted his little daughter on the top of her head.

"But why, daddy?" Jihyun frowned deeper.

"That is because..." Luhan cupped Jihyun's face, and pulled her cheeks to the sides using his thumbs to make her form a smiling lips. "From now on, no one will ever hurt you and your sister again. Daddy will give you both extra protection.

"Really?" Jihyun eventually came back to her cheery face which was adorned with her signature cute grin.

"Of course." Luhan nodded.

"So, now my name is Xi Minnie?" Jihyun asked, looking excited.

"Yeah. You should love that name, because your mom loves it too." Luhan kissed his little Minnie on the temple, before he directed her to face her mom.

"Now tell your mom that you're here for her, Minnie. I believe she will listen to you."

"Yes, daddy."

.

***
.

Flashback

"Luhan, where are you now?" Minhee's father asked Luhan through the phone. His voice was calm to the ears, but Luhan could notice that it was actually laced with sadness which he couldn't dechipher.