20. The wanted boy - Part 1

(Flashback)

Back then, Minhee was only a ten year old girl who loved to play with her brother – Sehun, who was three years younger than her. After school they usually went to the garden owned by their parents to pick some fruits or vegetables they would like to have for dinner.

"Noona, do you want some strawberries?"

"Sure. What about you?"

"I want banana."

"Hmm, okay. I'll get it for you. Just wait for me, here, kay?"

"Okay! I'll gather the strawberries for you too."

Minhee gave her brother a thumb up before she jogged down the path towards a tree with the reap bananas hanging on it. Fortunately, the tree was not so high that Minhee can reach the bananas easily.However, because she was after all just a kid, she only could pick 10 reap bananas. The rest of them were left on the tree. She intended to tell her father about these bananas later at home to be picked soon.

Finished putting the bananas into her goody bag, Minhee heard some people talking somewhere not so far from the spot she was standing. Curious, she followed the voice which unconsciously brought her to an unfamiliar land located right next to her parents' garden. There, she saw some people were harvesting some kind of leaves she had never seen before. Some other people who had a tatoo looking like a flying dragon carved onto the back of their hands were just standing, watching the workers while shouting, forcing them to work faster.

"Hurry up! We're running out of time. We should deliver the leaves tonight! If you make the delivery's late, I won't hesitate to shoot you to death. Understood?!" A burly man, who was presumed as a boss of the workers announced with a threatening tone.

"Yes sir." The workers said in unison before they continued working hastily, in fear.

Though she was just a little girl, Minhee knew that the scene she was witnessing was unusually odd and frightening. The bosses standing around the plants the workers were harvesting were all holding guns. They were all ready to shoot the workers anytime they wanted to, and that terrified Minhee so much to the point she was trembling and shedding tears at the place she was hiding, behind the bush that was.

Could not control her fear of those guys with guns, inevitably, Minhee's clumsiness took over. She tried her best to go quietly, but then due to her hasty steps, she just had to stumble on a rock and fall to the ground with a loud thud. Consequently, well, you might know what was coming next.

"Who's there?!" One of the men with gun ran towards Minhee. Aware of the danger coming after her, Minhee used her strength to quickly get back up and run as fast as she could.

"Hey! Stop right there!" The man finally noticed Minhee's existence. Minhee's heart was pounding so hard, even more terrified hearing the man's voice. She really did not know what to do to save herself but kept running without looking back.

"You idiot! Nobody should know about the plants. Catch her alive or dead!" A man instructed. Minhee heard that, but she really had no idea what plants he was talking about. Honestly, Minhee did not even want to know about the plants. All she wished was just for the men to leave her alone. Too bad, they did not have the same wish as hers.

"Sehun!" Minhee called out as soon as she spotted her younger brother who was still picking up strawberries. "We have to go now!"

"What happened, noona?" Sehun got up, leaving the strawberries on the basket he put on the ground. A slight frown appeared on his face as he looked at his sister.

"Some men with guns..." Minhee was trying her best to catch her breath, her hands on her knees. "They're harvesting something. I don't know what it is. We have to run, now. They are after me!"

After grabbing Sehun's wrist, Minhee pulled him with her to run. Unfortunately, running in the garden full of trees with bushes here and there didn't make the two kids' escape any easier. They were stumbling and tripping, until eventually both of them fell on the ground at the same time.

"Ouch!" Minhee whimpered as the fall caused the heels of her palms to sting after grazing the hard yet dry land she was lying prone on.

"Noona..." Sehun called out with a weak voice. Noticing her brother sobbing in pain, Minhee scrambled to her feet and immediately approached him in panic. He was also lying prone on the ground, but his condition looked worse than her as sweat and tears were mixed up on his face. Actually, he was still not fully recovered from fever. So, his body was still weak and running like a mad boy got him in a worse condition at the moment. He felt like his whole body was numb, his eyes were heavy, and his head was spinning endlessly.

"Sehun, are you okay?" She inspected Sehun's body if there was any scratch or bruise causing him in pain. It turned out that he had a quite big wound on his right knee as it knocked onto a rock when he fell flat on the ground. "Oh my god, your knee's bleeding." Minhee gasped.

"We need to go home soon!" She declared with determination before she helped her brother to a sitting position.

"Noona, just go without me." Sehun suddenly said. He then pushed Minhee's hands off his shoulder, ushering her to let go of him.

"No! We have to go together." Minhee shook her head vigorously, totally againts her brother's idea.

"But I can't run anymore, noona." Sehun looked at her sister in the eye, still trying to assure her to go.

"Sehun, no. Please... be strong. I know you can. Please bear the pain a little more. I'll take you home." Minhee pleaded. She finally burst into tears seeing how pale her brother's face had become due to his fever and his wound. Guilty was washing over her at the moment for making him at this miserable condition.

"Come on, I'll piggy-back you, Sehun." Minhee then turned around and squatted down, waiting for Sehun to lean on her back. But then, after a few moment, Sehun didn't make any move. Minhee then decided to turn around once again to persuade his brother.

"Sehun? Wha—" Minhee was taken aback. Sehun was running towards the direction from which they came from.

"Noona. Just go!" Sehun told her sister from a far.

"Sehun! What are you doing? Don't go there!" Minhee ran towards Sehun to fetch him back. But then, the men chasing her was getting closer. She could feel it. Their voice was getting clearer.

"There! The kid's there!" Someone shouted. Minhee's eyes bulge out upon realization that the men had found either her or Sehun's location. Soon after, without Minhee being able to do anything to help, a man had grabbed Sehun on the waist and lifted him up so easily before he placed Sehun on his shoulder with only one hand.

"Ha! Caught you, kiddo!" The man laughed in satisfaction

"Oh god, no! Sehun!" Minhee immediately ran to catch up to the man kidnapping Sehun. However, her attempt was futile. Without her realizing, she had twisted her ankle, giving her a hard time running. Moreover,the man catching Sehun was in a hurry; he took a wide yet quick step to head for somewhere Minhee barely knew. Much to Minhee dismay, the man and Sehun disappeared so quickly, she did not notice, though she was trying her best to run after them. Eventually, things ended tragically for Minhee. She lost her precious brother to the bad man and she blamed herself for that loss forever.

.

To be continued...