Episode 23: i am, and i was (MID-SEASON FINALE)

Amy started cleaning out her apartment. She had less than a month left to live in her condo and to be in Hudson University. She had called Leo Boykewich a day earlier. Leo told her that she had to give the keys of the apartment to Ben, when she is ready to move out. Which made her realize she had to face Ben once again. Even though she saw Ben almost everyday in class, she never spoke with him. He ignored her and he seemed to have moved on. Amy was happy that Ben had moved on. She felt relieved, and happy for him. She wished him the best with a girl without any children.

Anne was helping Amy packing the most unimportant things already. They were storing the smaller things in boxes. Things like (books, magazines, figurines, plates, mugs, pictures, and frames.) So that they would have less work with moving things out.

They were storing the boxes in the basement. Because the basement was not so far away from the building's front door.

Anne was carrying the heavy boxes, and Amy carried the light weighted ones.

"Are you sure you can handle the boxes, are they too heavy for you?" Anne asked, breathless.
Amy shook her head.
"No, mom. They weigh nothing. I can handle them. And besides, even if they were too heavy. I couldn't let you carry them all!
"You could ask me to carry them all. And you probably should." Anne said, while she carried another pair of boxes.
"Mom, i'm pregnant. I'm not dying." Amy said, in a sarcastic tone.
Anne nodded. "Yes, i know that. But you're five months pregnant and you should take things slowly."

Amy grabbed another box, this box was heavier but she still kept it in her hands and followed her mother down to the basement.

"I am taking things slowly. I'm actually proving to myself that i can handle it!" Amy said, smiling.
Anne looked wondered and kind of confused. "You can handle what?" She asked.
Amy looked up. "I meant that i can handle being a single mom." She said, proudly.
Anne seemed to be confused. "I thought that you were going to make a family picture with John and Ricky, when you get back home?"
Amy bit her lip.
"I know, but i don't know if it's a good idea, since we're probably going to pretend to be this perfect fake family in a stupid photograph. And behind the photograph is a broken, screwed up family hidden!"

Anne nodded, she felt sorry for her daughter. "Yes, but who's family isn't screwed up these days?" She sighed. "Just try, Amy... Try to make the best out of it."
Amy seemed to be confused. "Mom, i'm not getting back together with Ricky. If that's what you're referring to?"

Anne shook her head. "I didn't say that, but you never know what will happen between the two of you. You know that things might change between the two of you." She said, hesitating.

Amy looked wondered. "Mom, you sound like... dad." Amy laughed. "What are you trying to say?"
"Well." Anne said, while she put the box down on the floor. "I heard you talking to Ricky on the phone, so i thought you were going to try it again?"
Amy's look changed. "Try it again? Ugh, please, mom... Believe me, i won't." She said, sincere.
Anne looked curious. "So why did he call you then?"
Amy sighed.
"He called me to tell me that he and Clementine broke up, because he finally told her the truth. And he told me that he wanted to be there for me and for the baby when i get back." Amy said, rolling her eyes.
"That's sweet." Anne said, truthfully.
"Sweet?" Amy asked, uncertain. "What's sweet about it? He's been lying to me since the night i had sex with him. And now that Clementine broke up with him, he wants to become friends with me and be there for the baby?"
Anne nodded. "I know Amy. But you're gonna have to talk to Ricky face to face. That's something you can't walk away from. And you know that! And you both have to raise your two kids together... Or separately... You know what i mean? ... But the point here is, that you have to be at least friends with him. You were friends with him after John was born!"
Amy frowned. "I wasn't. We weren't... I pretended to be his 'friend'. I had to, for John. And we all know how that turned out at the end... We were friends, and then we were dating... And without realizing it, i was engaged at the end of it, and i can't believe i almost eloped? Thank God, i didn't." She said, trying to make her mother realize the things she had to change in the past for her son.
Anne nodded. "I'm always gonna stand beside you Amy. No matter what choices you make. But you have to realize that raising John and this new baby are not gonna work if you're not friends with Ricky! And you don't want your kids to grow up with the thought in their minds that their parents hate each other, do you?"
Amy shook her head. "No, i don't want that! And your right, mom. I know that your right. But i just need to figure things out... And i wished my life could be different..."

Anne took Amy's box out of her hands and put it down on the floor. She squeezed Amy's shoulder and smiled.
"Your life will be different, and don't worry Amy, you'll be alright." She said, sincere.
Amy smiled.

When all the boxes were finally in the basement. Anne and Amy felt relieved.

They were just about to walk out of the basement when Amy started rubbing her belly. She felt kind of sick. She stopped and leaned onto the wall. She felt herself getting lighter. She almost felt like she was hovering. And she lost the feeling in her legs. She felt like she could throw up any second. And then she saw blue spots everywhere and a sharp pain down in her uterus. She wanted to call for her mother but she couldn't. She decided to try to walk out of the basement until her legs started shivering.

Anne kept walking and talking about Amy's future. Until she realized that Amy stayed behind. Anne turned around and saw her daughter leaning onto the wall.
She ran towards Amy.
"Amy, What's going on. Are you okay?" She asked, worried.
Amy didn't know how to response.
"I'm dizzy, and..." She didn't had the time to finish her sentences, when she lost her consciousness.
"Amy.. Amy?! Anne shouted.

Anne panicked. She didn't know what to do. She was all alone in the dark basement with her daughter.

Anne couldn't carry Amy upstairs, on her own. She needed help.
She ran upstairs and screamed for help, but no one seemed to hear her screams.
Anne went into Amy's condo and called 911.
"911... What's your emergency?"
"It's my daughter!" Anne shouted. "She's five months pregnant, and she lost her consciousness in the basement."
"Okay. Miss. I need you to stay calm, we'll be right there."

Three minutes went by. Anne was waiting impatiently at the front porch for the ambulance to arrive. An ambulance showed up. Two peramedics were holding a stretcher and ran towards the apartment.
"Where is she?" The peramedic asked.
"She is in the basement. I couldn't carry her out of it!"
Anne pointed to the basement and ran after the peramedics into the basement.

They carried Amy on the stretcher. They ran as fast as they could to the ambulance. Anne followed them into the ambulance.

"Is she still breathing?" Another peramedic asked.
"Yes, she is." The peramedic responded back. "But we have to give her more oxygen. She can't really breathe on her own!
Anne seemed to be worried and impatient.
"What do you mean, 'she can't breathe on her own'? She's alive. Right?"
The peramedic looked into Anne's eyes.
"Yes, m'am. She's still alive. But it doesn't mean that she isn't in any life danger. We don't know what's going on, but we'll figure it out when we're at the hospital."

Anne seemed to be confused.
"And the baby? Please tell me that the baby is alright?"
"We can't say yes, and we can't say no." The peramedic said, uncertain.

The other peramedic put a heart monitor on Amy's belly, and on her chest. He also put an oxygen mask on Amy's face.

"We will make sure nothing bad happens to your daughter and the baby." The peramedic said.

Anne nodded.

Anne saw how the peramedics were working. One of the two peramedics was checking on Amy's heartbeat. The other one was giving her some more oxygen.
Anne's eyes were soaked with tears. She didn't understand what was going on?

As they drove on the busy streets of New York, they put the siren on...
And with the siren on it confirmed that something really bad was going on... And about to happen...

[to be continued?...]

~•~
"Hold on to me love.
You know, i can't stay long.
All i wanted to say was,
i love you,
And i'm not afraid."

- My last breath by Evanescence.