Episode 49: helpless but reckless

'Helpless...
A word that ment nothing to me. Nothing at all.
I laughed at the word helpless. Because i never felt anything like that before in my entire life.

There were some ups and downs. I will not deny that. Having ups and downs... that is just something small, that does intend to affect us human beings very intensly! But we get through that because we know it's just temporary and we know it is a part of life.

But feeling helpless? Please... that was something that just didn't exist to me. Not in my world anyway. But then something happened. And i felt helpless.'

Ricky looked into Anne's sad eyes. He really didn't know what to say. He just witnessed the birth of his child. It was a scary experience to see the life being sucked out of Amy. She looked so pale and unhealthy while the baby looked perfect. But witnessing the birth of his child shouldn't have been so scary. He shouldn't have felt that way. It should have been an amazing experience; something he and Amy could both talk about. A shared moment, a shared memory. But it wasn't that at all. Amy didn't know she had the baby. She didn't realize cause she was stuck at being a victim of something that should have never happened. Having an illness that slowly sucked every ounce of life out of her. Sadly, this whole experience was traumatizing.

"Ricky?" Anne shook her head. "Don't tell me... No."

George looked at his feet. "Is she okay?"

Ricky nodded, looking at the floor. His eyes were blank and his face was emotionless.

"She's okay. they're okay."

Anne looked confused. "But that's amazing news!... What's wrong than?"

"Nothing. just... the whole experience was frightening."

A doctor appeared behind Ricky. 

"Mrs and Mr. I'm happy to tell you that the delivery went well. Both mother and daughter are doing fine. We just have to run some tests on the baby to see if she's indeed healthy cause she was born to early after all. In cases like this babies don't have everything fully developed. But don't worry everything can be cured and helped."

"That's amazing news doctor." Anne said, smiling. "That's the best news I ever had." George said.

"Ms. Juergens herself is in recovery. She should be in her room in a couple of hours so don't worry."

"Thank you doctor". Anne said.

-

"George?... Anne... You go home, fresh up... She should be in her room later on tonight. You've been here non stop and you deserve to get some rest." Ricky said.

Anne shook her head. "No, I want to be here when Amy gets here. She's going to need her mother." 

She looked at George. 

"She's going to need both of her parents. & she's going to need you, Ricky. Probably more than anyone right now."

She sighed. "You're the only one who knows what she's feeling, what she's going through. You share that, that... pain with her. But don't try to focus on the bad. Try to focus on the good."

Ricky nodded. "I know, I know."

"Cause Ricky, that baby. That little girl that is my granddaughter, is out there. She's alive. She's okay! She's breathing right now. And she's getting that future we all wished she would have."

Ricky wiped a tear away. This tear felt different from all the other tears he ever had. This tear was filled with the urge of needing to protect his daughter. No matter what it took. He would be the one keeping her save, forever.