Episode 57: shattered but not broken, yet

Getting out of that hospital was something everyone was looking forward to. Ricky the most. He wanted everything to go back to normal. Even though he knew it would take a long time for things to change. Their baby had to stay in the hospital. As hard as that was, there was no other choice. But he could see life being taken out of Amy. He only wished she would be more open hearted and talk to him about what she's feeling. She's been a true mystery lately.

A familiar looking place was the first thing she saw as the car drove them to their old driveway. Her mother was behind the weel. Very concentrated but also very stressed out and she seemed somewhat overactive. Ricky was driving right behind them in his own car since he couldn't just abandon it at the hospital. He insisted for Amy to drive with him. But she refused. Because she was afraid he might want to talk about everything and she didn't feel like talking at the moment. So she decided to drive with her mom instead. When the car came to a stop Anne stepped out to get the suitcases from the backseat. Ricky opened Amy's door and gave her his helping hand so she could lean onto him, because walking on her own was still not something she could do. He helped her up without saying a word. He was honestly lost for words. Everything already has been said so many times and she didn't look like she wanted to talk, or listen. "I didn't have the time to get your room ready yet. So you can just use my old bedroom for now." Anne said, breaking the uneasy silence that filled their driveway. Amy nodded looking down while leaning onto Ricky for support. When Anne opened the front door Ricky led Amy through the living room to make her sit down. "So, here are blankets, a pillow and a book." Anne said, placing the items on the couch. Amy looked confused. "A book?" Anne nodded. "In case you get bored." Amy shook her head and sighed. She placed her arms on her belly and stared in front of her, looking at nothing. Anne went upstairs to change her bed sheets and clean up the mess that was left behind. Ricky sat down on the couch next to Amy. "So, how are you?" He asked. "Feeling better already?" Amy nodded but kept her gaze in front of her. Not wanting to look him in the eye. She was scared she might start crying if she did. "I'm fine." Was the only thing she said. "Do you want me to get John? I'm sure he missed you?" He asked. She shook her head. "No. I'm not ready to act like everything is okay. I don't want him to see me like this." He looked away. Taking a deep breath. "Like what?" Amy turned her head towards him and looked him in the eye. "Like a mess." She said, her voice crackling.

"You're not a mess. You're fine. We'll get through this." He sighed. "I'll get you through this." She shook her head. "How?"

"Just one day at a time, Amy." He sighed and looked away. "I just don't understand why you act like you lost everything; like you lost Brayleigh?" She looked at him, trying to get a hold of what he was saying.
"What do you mean?"
He looked into her eyes and saw the angry and hurt face she started to make.
"It's just that you've been acting like we lost her." He pointed to blank air. "But Amy, she's right there at the hospital. She's fighting for her life, getting better. Why are you...." He took a deep breath. Calming himself down. "Why are you acting like she died?."
She looked away, trying to hide her watery looking eyes. "It's just that... i mean... i feel like..." She sighed. "I feel like there's no future for her." There it was. The truth.

"So you've been focusing on the things that -CAN go wrong, instead of focusing on what -CAN'T go wrong? Instead of fighting with her?."

She nodded. "It seems easier this way. You know. It's like i'm preparing myself for her death or something." She played with her fingers. Now saying it out loud made her feel like a bad mother. Ricky took her hand and started rubbing her back with his other hand, to comfort her. He knew she's been through a lot these couple of months. But now it felt like it needed to stop. She had to start believing. Not only in Brayleigh and the doctors, but also in herself. She's been so negative lately that it can't be healthy anymore. This isn't healthy. Soon, she will have a breakdown. And that was something he was scared for. He didn't want that to happen to her. She didn't deserve to feel the way she feels.

"It's okay. I get it. I really do." He said, comforting her. "Here." He gave her a tissue. "Wipe away those tears and stop crying. Everything is going to be okay."
-

She looked around. "So, what am I supposed to do now?" He stood up walking to the tv to turn it on. "You do nothing. Just rest." He said, giving her the remote control. She took it and placed it beside her, not wanting to watch tv. "How am I supposed to rest knowing Brayleigh is in there... i can't just wait till tomorrow to see my baby. We don't even know if she's okay." She took out her phone to check if someone had already called her. Ricky took her phone away. "You need to relax." He sighed and sat back down. "You know... i'm worried too Amy. I honestly don't know what to say to you or do to make you feel any better. We'll have the results in less than two days. That's what Doctor Worthly said." She nodded. "Should I sue New York ZION?" Ricky looked down. "I don't know. I don't know what good could possibly come from it?"

"Justice?" She said, mostly asking. He shook his head. "Let's just focus on Brayleigh for now." Amy nodded. "Can you get me my meds?" She asked, piercing eyes.

"Sure. Are you in pain?"

'When am I not in pain?" She thought. "Yes. My belly hurts. I've been under so much medication these couple of days and I need to downgrade from the amount of meds I took so Doctor Worthly prescribed me something lighter. I hope it works though cause it still hurts like hell." She smiled.

"I like it when you smile." He said. "You should do it more often."

"I'm gonna try. Can't promise you though. I just want our baby to be okay. If she's okay I will be smiling your eyes off."

He laughed. "I bet you would."
-

A/N:
Hey guys.
It's been a while since i updated. I know. I've been super busy lately with school and stuff. I needed a break from writing. Just to get creative again. Not only as an author but also as an artist. I'm back. Obviously ;). I started writing this episode 2 months ago and finished it a week ago. I changed a few things yesterday. (Make that 3 days ago since i forget to post it online lol.) & i couldn't keep you guys waiting for too long so here you go :-). I hope you liked it. It's gonna get better. I know not a lot happened in this episode but it's important to know the information being said in this episode for future episodes sake. Thank you for your endless support and for sticking with me since i started this book which was in 2015. Can you believe it? I can't! I love this book. But it will soon come to an end. But don't worry; the next book (a sequel to this story) will come out shortly after this book ends. I already put it out on my account for you to add it to all of your reading lists. 🙂