Episode 48: before the dawn part 2

'Do you know that feeling when you don't know what to do, even though there are so many options left.
I feel like that, most of the time.
And sometimes it's hard to seperate reality from fantasy.
I imagined a life where i would still be going to my dream college, even with a baby and all. I never gave up on my dream. But dreams change.
And all i want right now is for my baby to be okay.
And to come out here alive. Because right now i'm not that sure anymore.'

"I came as fast as i could." A desperate-looking-out-of-breath George said. "Are you okay, Anne?"

She nodded. But her eyes looked empty. There was nothing left of her. She looked like a mummy. That was the best way to describe the feeling George had after he saw Anne's empty eyes, empty soul.

"She's in labor. And no one tells me anything. Ricky is there. I don't know if she's okay. Or if she's not okay?" She looked at the cold, white floor. "Why won't they let me know? I'm her DAMN MOTHER!"

"Okay, easy. Anne. I know how you feel. I feel the same thing. But i just know they are trying to save our little girls."

Anne smiled. "Our little girls... that sounds so weird. But sweet."

George looked up. "They are our little girls. Our daughter and our granddaughter. Believe me, it still feels weird to say that. Especially out loud. But it is what it is, Anne."

George rubbed her back and looked at the floor. "She's strong. She'll get through this. I'm sure of it."

"Do you really think so?"

George nodded. "I really think so."

Anne sighed. "Where did our lives get so messed up?"
"Well, i'll tell you. It was when Ricky entered Amy's life!" He said, frowning.
"George!" Anne said, surprised.

"I was just joking."

They smiled at each other and realized that not being married anymore, Anne turning out to be a lesbian woman. George being re-married to his ex-ex wife Kathleen. And Ashley living so far away, literally all the way in Europe. It didn't mean they weren't a family no more. It really didn't.
They still were, but in a different way.
In a non traditional way actually. But they still were a family after all.
Things are very different now. No one blames someone else for their mistakes anymore. Not the way they used to.
Because, they were... a family.

"C'mon, let's wipe those Anne-tears away." He said, laughing.

Anne smiled and rolled her eyes. "Your humor really hasn't changed that much you know."

"Hey... someone's gotta be funny, Anne."

They both finally felt like they were on the same level.
It took them many years to walk right next to each other instead of... walking apart. It felt good. It really did. They now realized after all these years of fighting and of not agreeing with one another; they were supossed to be friends all along. Because for some; relationships work out. But for some; it doesn't. The thing though, is that friendships always work out. No matter what.

-

After waiting very impatiently until someone said something about anything. A door opened.
Without hesitation Anne and George stood up and looked at the open door. They were waiting until someone appeared, but it looked like no one would be entering the room.

Anne's heart was racing. Her thoughts were driving her crazy.

-How a doctor figure would be telling them that Amy didn't survive child-birth. Or how they would be telling them their granddaughter passed away.-

So many scary thoughts gathered its way into Anne's mind. And it scared the hell out of her.
George on the other hand seemed to have it under control. He held Anne's hand very tightly. And looked normal. That gave Anne a sense of relief, knowing it couldn't be. Her scary thoughts couldn't become real.

Finally, after 5 minutes of staring at the empty room behind that awfully blank open door, Ricky appeared.

He looked very pale, and almost as if life had left him.
He had shaky hands. And tried to breathe in and out. To carefully approach Amy's parents.

Ricky swallowed silently and looked into Anne and George's curious but scared looking eyes.

"She..."

{to be continued...}