Preeclampsia & Eclampsia explained

Hello everyone.
In this story you all adore so much,
Amy has a condition called Preeclampsia which already developed into Eclampsia. I use the terms a lot. So i thought it would be nice for you to actually figure out what this condition is and what it does to mother and child.
Thank you for always being so supportive!
I will update the story as soon as i can!

Love, magicofessence
-

What Is Preeclampsia?

Formerly called toxemia, preeclampsia is a condition that pregnant women develop. It is marked by high blood pressure in women who have previously not experienced high blood pressure before.

Preeclamptic women will have a high level of protein in their urine and often also have swelling in the feet, legs, and hands. This condition usually appears late in pregnancy, generally after the 20 week mark, although it can occur earlier.

If undiagnosed, preeclampsia can lead to eclampsia, a serious condition that can put mother and baby at risk, and in rare cases, cause death. Women with preeclampsia who have seizures are considered to have eclampsia.

There's no way to cure preeclampsia, and that can be a scary prospect for moms-to-be. But moms-to-be can help protect themselves by learning the symptoms of preeclampsia and by seeing their doctor for regular prenatal care. When preeclampsia is caught early, it's easier to manage.

What Causes Preeclampsia?

The exact causes of preeclampsia and eclampsia -- a result of a placenta that doesn't function properly -- are not known, although some researchers suspect poor nutrition or high body fat are possible causes. Insufficient blood flow to the uterus could be associated. Genetics plays a role, as well.

Who Is at Risk for Preeclampsia?

Preeclampsia is most often seen in first-time pregnancies, in pregnant teens, and in women over 40. While it is defined as occurring in women have never had high blood pressure before, risk factors include:

• first time pregnancies
• age; a teen pregnancy
• age; women over 40 years old
• A history of high blood pressure prior to pregnancy
• A history of preeclampsia
• Having a mother or sister who had preeclampsia
• A history of obesity
• Carrying more than one baby
• History of diabetes, kidney disease, lupus, or rheumatoid arthritis

What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Preeclampsia?

In addition to swelling, protein in the urine, and high blood pressure, preeclampsia symptoms can include:

•Rapid weight gain caused by a significant increase in bodily fluid
•Abdominal pain
•Severe headaches
•Change in reflexes
•Reduced urine or no urine output
•Dizziness
•Excessive vomiting and nausea
•Vision changes

How Can Preeclampsia Affect the Baby and Mother?

Preeclampsia can prevent the placenta from receiving enough blood, which can cause the baby to be born very small. It is also one of the leading causes of premature births, and the complications that can follow, including learning disabilities, epilepsy, cerebral palsy, hearing and vision problems.

In moms-to-be, preeclampsia can cause rare but serious complications that include:

•Stroke
•Seizure
•Water in the lungs
•Heart failure
•Reversible blindness
•Bleeding from the liver
•Bleeding after mother has given birth
•Preeclampsia can also cause the placenta to suddenly separate from the uterus, which is called placental abruption. This can cause stillbirth.

What Is the Treatment for Preeclampsia and Eclampsia?

The only cure for preeclampsia and eclampsia is to deliver the baby. The doctor will talk with the mother about when to deliver based on how far along the baby is, how well the baby is doing in the womb, and the severity of the preeclampsia.

If the baby has developed enough, usually by 37 weeks or later, the doctor may want to induce labor or perform a cesarean section. This is will keep preeclampsia from getting worse.

If the baby is not close to term, mother and the doctor may be able to treat preeclampsia until the baby has developed enough to be safely delivered. The closer the birth is to your due date, the better for the baby.

After delivery, signs and symptoms of preeclampsia & eclampsia should go away within 1 to 6 weeks.