Episode 54: sorrowful moments of love, hate, heartbreak

"Doctor Worthly?" Amy asked, looking wondered.
"I'm sorry i came in this late." He said, looking down at his clipboard.
"The other doctor already came for Brayleigh!" Amy said, looking over to her peacefully sleeping baby girl.
"Where are your parents?" He asked, looking around.
"They left." She noticed the doctor's odd behaviour.

"Why?"

He just shook his head and took a chair to sit on. "And where is your boyfriend?" He asked. Amy shook her head. "First of all, he's not my boyfriend. And secondly he went home to get some stuff for me."
She looked worried. "Is everything okay?" She asked.
"I would be lying if i said yes. But i think it's best if we wait for Mr. Underwood to come first before i get to the thing i wanted to talk to you about." He responded back.
Amy shook her head wildly. She abruptly sat upright, ignoring the sharp pain down her stomach. "What is going on?!" She shouted. "You need to tell me what's going on!" Doctor Worthly sighed and looked at her frightened looking face. "Very well." He said.

"I have some good news and bad news." He continued. "The good news is that you can go home tomorrow morning. You will be dismissed at 7 AM."

Amy nodded. She felt scared of what would be next. Sure she was happy she would be dismissed soon but what was the bad news?

"I contacted New York ZION hospital for your full medical records. The doctor who treated you there didn't want to speak to me so they send me a digital copy of your medical files instead." He sighed. "Once i got the copy i could see your entire pregnancy written down." Amy looked confused. "You didn't had Pre-Eclampsia or Eclampsia when you were like 6 weeks pregnant. But on your second doctor's appointment it said Eclampsia. You were 12 weeks pregnant when the doctor stated that!" Amy looked down. "So i truly had this all along?" She asked. Doctor Worthly nodded. "Yes. But that's not what i wanted to talk to you about. I know you wanted the truth. Especially your mother." He sighed once again. "Remember when you passed out halfway through your pregnancy, still in New York?" He asked.
Amy nodded. "How do you know this?"
"It's on the medical records." He looked at his clipboard. "You were in a 24 hour coma." He said.
Amy now felt like the whole world was making its way back on her shoulders. The coldness of the night shivering down her spine. "What?" She said.

"You were in a coma. This however did not affect your baby in any way! But you were not informed about this. No one in your family was. The doctor in New York lied to you about that. He didn't give you the knowledge of knowing you were in a coma." A silent tear fell from Amy's eye. "But why didn't they tell me?" She asked. "I don't know. This is very wrong." He handed her a document. It was a 'sew the freaking hospital paper'. Well, it wasn't written like that. But it in her mind, it was.
"You should consider sewing New York ZION hospital and Doctor Drey for this." He nodded. "You really should." Amy nodded carefully. "I don't understand. Why me?" She asked. Wiping tears away. Doctor Worthly didn't know how to bring the next news. The news he saved lastly because it was something that would break her. Tear this family apart even.

"We have to take Brayleigh tonight." He sighed. "For a heart checkup." Amy looked up, directly into Doctor Worthly's eyes. "What?."
He looked back at her. Knowing the confusion she was feeling was consuming her. "We have found out you were carrying an unhealthy fetus all along." He said.

"What IS GOING ON?!" She screamed furiously.

And at that direct moment Ricky stepped inside. He overheard the last part of the conversation.

"She's not a fetus! She's my baby girl. How dare you say that?" She said, sobbing. Ricky ran towards her bed. He leaned in to give her a hug. To just hold her tightly. "What is going on?" He asked, looking at Doctor Worthly. "We have to take Brayleigh tonight for a heart checkup. We believe she has the illness called 'Patent ductus arteriosus'. Amy wiped her tears away and loosened herself from Ricky's tight grip. "What does that even mean?" She asked.

"It means that Brayleigh might be born with a heart illness."

Ricky shook his head. "But she looks fine! Why didn't you notice that before if she has it like you say?"

Doctor Worthly stood up.

"Because on Ms. Juergens' medical records it said the baby was identified with this illness during Amy's second trimester. But there's a chance Brayleigh might not even have it. Because for this particular illness, the symptoms only show up a year after a baby is born. No doctor ever really notices this heart illness during the pregnancy. And for that reason i think it's odd that they already saw that on your ultrasound."

Amy took a deep breath. "So, she might not have that heart illness?" She asked, looking hopeful.
Doctor Worthly nodded. "She might not have it. But there is a chance she does. Ultrasounds don't lie." Ricky looked up. "But doctors do." He said, pointing out that he overheard the conversation Doctor Worthly and Amy shared earlier.
Doctor Worthly ignored that comment. "...But we have to make sure. So... i'm going to take her now to check this out." Amy nodded. Placing a hand on her lips to stop herself from screaming in pain. Ricky's eyes looked dazed out. He was holding Amy's other hand. Trying to comfort her but he was a mess himself. "What happens if she has this?" Amy asked.
"We'll talk about that later." Doctor Worthly said. "First things first." He walked over to Brayleigh's incubator and started to stroll her away from Amy. Away from Ricky. He walked away out of room 233 with Brayleigh in the incubator.
Amy and Ricky leaned on each other. He held her tightly. And she held his hand. "It's okay. It's okay." He said, wiping her tears away.

She pulled away. Her eyes searching for his.

"I love you, Ricky." She said.