A Simple B-Day

Twins 2 years 3 months

Elisa 1 year 2 weeks

Pregnancy 6 months 2 weeks

Zayn's POV

"I want him out! He had to of known something was up! He put the babies and Liam into danger knowingly!" I snap as Louis tares down Maura's driveway desperate to leave Maura and that pedophile behind before they wake up and realize what happened.

"Niall, would have never knowingly put the babies and Liam at risk. Even if he knew something was up I don't think he would have guessed that his new step dad is a pedophile or baby abuser," Harry defends him making me want to hit him as well. How could he be defending the person that put our family at risk?

"He should have spoke up. Why is he even here? He's not responsible enough to be a father, let alone a father to babies as special as our or the husband and caregiver Liam needs! Liam and the babies rely on us to keep them safe, healthy and loved. So far Niall has only handed them over to a jack ass that would more than happily assault all four of them," I snap as I run my fingers through Liam's hair lovingly. He looks so innocent and peaceful with him being asleep like this. It's just another reminder that I must keep him safe. I can't lose him.

"Stop acting like you've always been the perfect husband, Zayn. Niall may have fucked up, but at least he didn't abandon Liam when times got hard," Louis fires back.

"I had left in fear and was being a coward. I admit it was a mistake and I'll spend the rest of my life trying to make that up to Liam and the twins. It was one mistake, am I not allowed to make one of those?" I ask not bothering to look up at Harry or Louis instead I concentrate on the twins and making sure they are calmed down and watching a movie that plays on low for them as we move down dark streets.

"Isn't Niall allowed to make a mistake?" Harry asks softly being that little voice of reason that I so hate on some days.

I don't reply instead I glance over at Niall. He is unconscious from blood loss, but is healed thanks to my angel. He is pale and looks vulnerable. I can feel my heart breaking for him, Niall's as innocent as Liam, surely he wouldn't put Liam and the babies knowingly into harms way.

The movement of Liam snuggling in closer to me, and the soft touch of Luke's hand against my skin makes me look at my family. My two boys are still teary eyed, and are still shaken. Luke's hazel eyes are looking at me with confusion and fear. Jeremiah is trying to focus on the screen of the portable DVD player , but he keeps letting out tiny little whimpers while holding onto his little lion toy for dear life.

Harry is holding Elisa in his arms, tears in his green eyes as he looks at our little daughter's softly sleeping form. Her brown curls are a mess, tears stain her little cheeks yet she is okay. We could have easily lost her, but her Ama made sure that no harm would come to his little girl. In Harry's eyes I can see that anger, hurt and fear that I am feeling. The only difference is he's letting it out in tears well I am releasing mine in fury.

My eyes next land on the person that has kept our family safe. He is laid across my lap, his breathing steady as he sleeps. His skin is still slightly warm from his use of power. He lets out a soft little sound as he nuzzles in closer to me. His belly is extended to the point we can all see it clear through the blanket, it's like a mound of warmth that keeps our youngest safe.

I could have lost all of this tonight.

I know I have messed up. I never should have left Liam like that three years ago. I know Liam has messed up by allowing himself to go back to see his father. If he had said no then he never would have been raped on that terrible day. I can't be mad at him for that though, he never expected that from his father, the man that had helped raise him. Liam never could have known.