Chapter 4 II Place we used to call home

Pic of Luke on the side

____________________________________________________________

"Oh my God", Layla was the one who broke the silence.

When king left, everybody split to different directions. Some went back to do what they usually do, some, like me and Layla, went somewhere to think this through.

"Where did that idea came from?" I asked.

"I already told you, those aliens are weird. The real question is..."

"Please don't ask why I didn't know about it", I interrupted her.

"I was going to ask what will we wear tomorrow, but that is certainly a better question"

I laughed. She can make any situation funny. That's just one of reasons why she is my best friend. I shook my head at her and she grinned.

After our little talk which didn't help us make any sense of this situation, we went to pick up the little boy from medical shelter. The quiet walk helped me clear my mind a bit, and to be honest the chaos in my mind kept growing every day since they came so only walks like this made sense. One thing that did not was Layla not breaking the silence. Even though she joked around and sometimes seemed emotionless I knew that underneath all that armor she was the most vulnerable girl. All this was getting to her.

We walked in greeting everyone. The boy looked a bit surprised to see us there. He must've thought that we left him here. I pressed my lips into a thin line and went to him squeezing his hand. Layla took the other one and we left with a wave to a nice old woman.

"So, where did you used to live?" I asked him while we were on our way to my house.

"All over this place" he answered and lowered his head. I could tell he had some nasty memories. He was so young, but he lived through more than a lot of people do for a whole lifetime. I frowned.

"What's your name?" Layla asked trying to change subject.

"It's Luke", he said.

"Nice", Layla approved and looked at me. I smiled. She would probably change his name if she didn't like it. It's just the way she is.

Rest of the way we spent carelessly babbling about everything. Soon, the Sun went down and Layla had to go to her apartment. Luke fell asleep shortly afterwards. My father was nowhere to be seen.

I heard my stomach crawling so I went to the kitchen and took some bread. I haven't eaten whole that day, but I was kind of used to it by then.

After that, I changed in my pajamas. While I was changing I caught a glimpse of my reflection in an old mirror which my dad somehow got for me for my birthday. My strawberry blond hair was a lot longer and messier and I was skinnier than before. I raised one of my arms and looked at the small wrist streaked with blue veins that could be easily seen through my thin white skin.

I hated my hair; her color reminded me of someone I was desperately trying to forget. Same was with my green eyes and that stupid skin which won't get any color even if I get baked in an oven. I sighed and went to bed.

* * *

This morning was one of those mornings when universe was doing everything to make me fail.

First of all – I couldn't find my earplugs so I had to listen to that ringing for 20 minutes. Then I obviously wasn't able to pull the thread through the needle so I got angry and ripped apart the t-shirt I was going to wear. Then I couldn't find another one and I had to go in my pajamas to Layla so I can borrow one of hers t-shirts and went back home. When I finally put on some decent cloths I was terribly late and everyone was waiting very angry, especially the guards who were coming with us. Just when I was about to go out Luke asked me what he is going to do if my father comes back. I took a deep breath and started thinking. I decided to write him a short message explaining everything. I gave it to Luke and ran out.

Layla was by the clock and everybody else by the main door.

"It's not my fault", I started explaining as soon as I saw her where-the-hell-were-you look.

"Of course it's not. It's never your fault. It's not your fault that we're late and everyone hates us on our first day!" she whisper-yelled dramatically gesticulating with her hands.

"We don't have time for this..."

"Of course we don't because of you", she cut me off.

"Okay, it is my fault. Can we go now, please?"

"No, no, no, the word can cannot be used in that sentence my love, the severity of a must would be more fitting"

I rolled my eyes and she took me by my hand dragging me with her. We joined the group and few moments later the door opened. Guards were standing still as we finally got to see what's behind the wall.

Six of us werestanding there looking at the place we used to call home popping out somewherein the distance.