Chapter 36 II Kayden's story: Part 1

12 years ago

Cute six year old boy sat on one of oval shaped, white seats near the playground. Enormous leafs of fillicem sheltered him from curious eyes, but also kept him in shade. It was freezing outside. It must've been minus 30 degrees at least.

He wore just a thin white shirt and baggy, grey pants. The coldness crept under his skin and made him shiver. He still didn't want to go home. He'd rather freeze, even though that was impossible.

"Kayden", he heard his name being called.

He didn't move. Kayden, Kayden, Kayden – it echoed. He blinked and took a deep breath taking in all the scents he could smell tying to memorize them.

"Here you are", another green-eyed boy said as he slowly sneaked in, careful so no one would see him. He smiled and sat beside his friend.

"Your mother is looking for you", he continued talking. At the mention of his mother, Kayden lifted his gaze and looked at the boy.

"And what? You're her messenger?" Kayden asked.

"Nope. I came because I wanted to", Adrian said and pushed him playfully with his shoulder. Kayden sighed trying to look annoyed and hopped of the seat with a small smile. Adrian did the same.

They moved two of big leafs apart and walked out. Kayden looked at the violet sky and red star – Luxa. Dark green plants were everywhere. Some of them looked almost black. This was the last time he will be seeing them.

"Aren't you excited?" Adrian asked.

"Why would I be excited? This is stupid", he said as he kicked a black rock from his way. It bounced a few times and then it rolled through the black sand. Stupid rock. Stupid star. Stupid planet.

Kayden was angry, sad, disappointed, nervous and a little bit excited, but he would never say that to anyone.

"I would give everything to go", Adrian said dreamily. Kayden knew he was telling the truth, but his parents would never let him do that. It is too risky and he is second in line to be a king, so, no fun stuff for him.

"Your parents wouldn't let you even if the whole world depended on it", Kayden said. Adrian shrugged. He picked it up from his older brother which he adored.

Kayden spent most of his time at Adrian's place. He knew how much Adrian's parents cared for him. Whatever Adrian wanted he got, but he never exploited that. On the other hand, Kayden's parents weren't the best. His father was always at work or training for a new mission. He was a captain and Kayden wanted to be one when he grows up. Kayden was never angry with his father because he wasn't at home all the time - he understood.

Kayden's mother was one of most beautiful women on Ultrron. She was a good mother greatly loved by her son. She was also a big Earth lover. She always talked about humans and how awesome they are. Sometimes it seemed like she cared for them more than for her own child, but in moments like this Kayden remembered that her heart is big enough for him and every living creature in this Universe. She even convinced Kayden of human awesomeness – that's how good he is.

Kayden's parents were a nice match, but they didn't really fancy each other that much.

Adrian's mum – Kayden's father's sister, would always say that she has three sons; Kael, Adrian and Kayden and everyone acted like it was indeed true. Only thing she wanted was a daughter. Kayden liked that idea very much. He would love to have a little sister. All that was just one of the reasons he didn't want to go. Also there was the fact he would be the only child on the ship.

Just as he thought that, they came to their destination – Kayden's house.

On Ultrron, before the humanization, there were enormous apartment buildings. In each lived people who were certain age. For example there was big house for newborn children. There had to work a lot of women. Then there was a building for teenagers and there worked a few security guards who had to maintain order, etc.

Now Ultrrians aspired to be more like humans. Ultrrian language was almost forgotten, their mores erased, their fashion gone.

Kayden had never seen how it was before. If his aunt hadn't taught him, he would never know his language with that mother of his.

"Kayden! Where were you?" his father yelled as he ran out of the house. Kayden smiled innocently. Adrian laughed at his face. Kayden was the one of those children that do something wrong and never get blamed for it.

It was his talent.

"I was playing with Adrian", he said innocently. Adrian smiled at his uncle and nodded.

"You know that everyone is waiting for the two of us", his father said with a bit gentler voice.

"Mummy is already there?" Kayden questioned.

Something flashed through his father's eyes, but it was gone a moment later. He was quiet and just as Kayden wanted to ask again he heard his favorite voice in the world.

"Kayden! Wait! Adrian don't let them leave", his aunt yelled as she ran towards them. Kayden's mouth extended into a big smile. A second later he was lifted and his aunt held him closely.

"My baby I'm going to miss you so, so much", she said as she ruffled his hair. Kayden giggled and kissed his aunt's nose. That was one of old Ultrrian customs. By kissing someone's nose you let them know they are important to you. His uncle, Adrian's father not tiresome Vaughn, told him that one time

"Come on", Kayden's father said.

His aunt let him go and pulled Adrian to herself as Kayden was lifted in his father's arms.

"We will see each other again, bratu", Adrian said. Kayden nodded. He lifted his gaze and saw water on his aunt's face.

"Aunty there is something on your face. Are you sick?" he asked concerned. She smiled sadly.

"They are called tears", she said, "They just show up when you really, really don't like something"

Something squeezed around Kayden's heart and he thought that he might start watering from his eyes. He shook his head dismissing that painful-looking thought.

"May we see each other soon, sister!" Kayden's father said and bowed slightly. He started walking quickly and in a blink of an eye they were on the ship. Enormous gray doors closed and they slowly walked through the maze of halls to pilot's room. Kayden was lowered on one seat and his father started clicking on random colorful buttons and then waved in the air as some object appeared in the air.

Kayden was standing on his feet and looking out. His father warned him to sit and tie himself for a moment. He listened and sat still looking outside of big window.

Ship soared quickly. Everything became blurry and it stayed that way for at least a half of an hour making Kayden's head spin. All of this happened too quickly.

Kayden just kept telling himself that it will be over soon and then he can go to his mum.

When the shaking finally ended, Kayden opened his eyes. His father was standing bent over the controlling board with pained expression on his face. Maybe he got hurt? Kayden jumped out of his seat and came closer to his father as he looked out of the window. There was nothing outside, only darkness. He looked up to his father and pulled his sleeve.

"What do you want, kid?"

"Where is mummy?"

His father stayed silent, but Kayden could see he was conflicted about something.

"She stayed", he just said and just like that the boy's whole world collided.