Chapter 5 II Funny little creatures

"Move!"- one of guards yelled pushing us with his gun towards yellow school bus.

We walked in and they followed. I sat beside Layla somewhere at the end of the bus.

"Can I take the seat by the window?"- I asked quietly.

She nodded yes and we switched seats. I leaned my head on the window and just watched out of it. It felt so good to be here; out of that filthy hole they put us in.

We drove for fifteen minutes on some dusty road and then we turned on highway. It looked different. We approached the town after a few moments. Things looked the same as we left them, and then again completely different. Everything was so cleaned out. There was order everywhere, but something was missing. All of the places I loved: hangouts, stores, library, coffee shops... all of them were still there only renovated. Old, but new.

That place didn't feel like home anymore.

We stopped in front of the school. It looked way better than how it used to look. They were everywhere, occupying whole front yard. Some of them were young, some a bit older.

Everybody turned in our direction when the bus door opened. We were exiting one by one and I was the last one who got out. When I finally touched the ground I felt so relived; I felt free. I took a deep breath and lifted my head up. All of those weird eyes were staring at me, at us. It made me feel uncomfortable. Their eyes looked so unnatural and cold.

Layla found my hand and squeezed it. Guards started to make a way for us to school. No one did anything; they just whispered some things and pointed at us. That made me angry.

We started walking towards school. I heard a lot of things, I guess comments being directed at us, but I couldn't understand them. They just kept staring at us till we entered the school.

Guards escorted us to one of the classrooms. It was empty and I finally felt like I can breathe normally without all those stares. They started to read a big list of rules, responsibilities, liabilities and all of that. They basically said to us that we have no rights, can't say anything, can't have fun, can't make trouble and can't get involved with them – like I would, even if I could. At the end they said that they will leave us alone under the condition that we behave.

Then they were gone. We left classroom and went to another one. On our way there was the same situation as when we just came in. I was so damn angry then, that I can't even describe it. Some tall platinum blonde girl said something to the girl next to her and they both started to laugh.

"WHAT?"- I yelled at her.

"Rose, calm down"- Layla whispered. If we didn't have everyone's attention till then, in that moment we definitely had it.

"Don't Rose me. They just keep staring at like we're some kind of animals!"

"We did not do such thing"- I heard deep voice speaking. I turned around to see a guy.

A hot guy. Tall, classically handsome and athletic guy with a pale complexion, well structured jawline, forest green eyes, a straight nose and a well-formed mouth. He had straight, short, dark blonde hair that looked really soft.

"Are you serious right now?"- I asked him after a long pause.

"For God sake Rose, you're making a scene."- Layla tried again to calm me down. I ignored her.

"Why wouldn't I be serious?"- he asked crossing his arms on his chest making his biceps show, "If we treat you like animals, you wouldn't be here right now. You would be locked in cage"

I inhaled a large amount of air in attempt to calm myself down. I failed.

"Am I not locked in cage?! Today was the first day I stepped out of it!"- I screamed channeling my anger at him. He just raised his eyebrows and smirked at me.

"You're lucky to be alive. If anything, you should be thanking us."- he said with a serious look. If his attitude wasn't sad it would be funny.

"You're right - thank you", I said and he looked at me confused, he didn't expect that, "Thank you for invading my home, for taking everything I had, for putting me in a cage, for killing more than half of my race and making me feel unsafe every second of every day this year. Thank you!"

"Dammit, Rose, stop!", Layla yelled, "Do you want to send us back at the region and mess this thing up on our first day?"

I turned to see her. She was mad, for real. I sighed nervously. She snapped me back to reality and I realized I was doing exactly what they wanted me to do; show everyone that we are nothing more than a bit more intelligent kind of animals.

I opened my mouth to say something, I'm not sure what exactly, when the bell rung. Everyone, including me, stayed put for few more moments expecting something to happen.

The guy looked at me with those unnaturally green eyes of his making me feel deeply uncomfortable.

"They are funny little creatures"- he just said and grinned at me.

That was low.