Chapter 47 II Seeing red

Adrian's POV

The marble floor was firm and smooth. Coldness it held in the beginning slowly disappeared under my naked body. The sound of running water was the only thing besides my breathing that could be heard.

All the windows were opened. Still I was hot. The heat made it seem like everything was red, even with my eyes closed. I couldn't control my body and it scared me.

I slowly got up and walked to the tub closing the tap. The water glimmered in the sun inviting me in. I entered feeling ice cold water creep up my burning skin. It gave me relief, but I knew it was temporary. I breathed out trying to clear my mind.

Was the possibility of sickness an option? What was I supposed to do?

The water was slowly heating up. I closed my eyes and dived in cooling my head. Maybe my eyes won't burst out after all. I opened them looking at the surface cursing every ray sunshine that fell on it.

Small footsteps could be heard in front the door quickly pacing towards it. I moved my head up just enough to see clearly. The doors opened and I saw piercing gray eyes - the same ones my mother had.

"Hay, Adri", she said in a small voice. She wanted something.

I cursed under water but all that could be heard were bubbles of air going out. Nimueh giggled.

I lifted my whole head out. "I'm not feeling well, Cupcake"

She narrowed her eyes and took a few steps towards the tub. "Why?"

I shrugged. She was standing near the doorway not really sure what to do with an envelope in her hands. I pushed my lips together.

"I'll get over it, don't worry", she looked up, "What do you have?"

She ran to the tub with her flowy dress swaying around her legs. "A letter"

"For Luke?"

She nodded energetically and showed me the envelope with his name written in her beautiful handwriting. She was way too young for boy trouble.

"But I wanted to ask something else", she said as she bounced from one leg to another, "could he come so we can play here"

I frowned. "Why don't you ask Kael?"

She frowned too and crossed her arms on her chest. "You said I couldn't say anything to him - remember. And he never listens to me anyway"

I shook my head. Right.

"So, will you ask him?" she pleaded. I scratched my head and yawned. I was so tired after the longest sleepless night in a dangerous row, but she seemed so hopeful - her eyes glowing and little hands gripping the envelope.

I nodded and she instantly started jumping up and down ecstatically. I closed my eyes. What did I get myself into?

Standing up from already warm bath with drops of water gliding down and pulling every last ounce of energy drained every happy thought from my exhausted body. I headed to the wardrobe in my room with Nimueh trailing not far away talking non-stop. I took the most breathable clothes I owned and put them on. It felt like adding petrol to the fire.

She took my hand almost dragging me to Kael's workroom. "You know you're like the best of the bestest brothers that ever existed and I promise I won't run away again like ever..." she jabbered, but I couldn't listen. All I felt was magnifying fire inside of me threatening to burn me alive. It ate away my patience leaving only menacing anger. I was angry at every sound, every move I took and every fucking drop of sweat that slid down my forehead. I kept my mouth shut and swallowed it.