Chapter 1

Becca's P.O.V

Cold and dreary, I walked on. Shivering, and teeth chattering, I had to keep going. Nothing will stop us from making it to The Haven. It is the only safe place for us. Asher, Brody, Matilda, Braxton and I walked for days. Maybe weeks. I don't know anymore, I lost count.

Brody, my twin brother, was the first of us to get taken. He and Matilda were married and had been strong since day one three years ago. Matilda was thirty-eight weeks pregnant when Brody was taken. It was hard for her, knowing that her husband would never see their baby. Once you are taken, you are either killed or Swiped and put to good use for the Catchers. And even then, he would be sent to kill us. Never to remember sweet Matilda, never to see his baby.
The next two weeks flew by. Before I knew it, I was helping my Sister-in-law give birth to my niece/nephew. It will be hard. We were out in the open, no shelter whatsoever. Shivering and exposed, I knew I couldn't deliver the baby here. Asher, Seeing my thoughts, used his powers and made us a small rock tent. Which stunned me, since all we have seen for the past half month has been snow and ice.
Braxton radiates with warmth, so he sat with his back facing us, to keep the cold stone somewhat warm. And I turned the ice inside our canteen into water. It was a waiting game now. It was maybe three or four hours before we saw any sign the baby was still alive. After maybe another twenty minutes, I saw the feet and my hear sunk. It was a breech baby. Breech's were dangerous and harder on the mothers. I sheathed my hands in the water and rubbed them over Matilda's belly. I closed my eyes and I could see the baby. I saw him. My nephew, I will have a nephew if I can deliver him. His heart is strong and the cord isn't wrapped around his neck, so all is well.
After five more hours, it was almost over. Matilda was exhausted, and barely had any strength left.

"Matilda, he-"
"He?!" She hissed lifting her head.
"Yes, I saw his gender when I was making sure he was still alive. It's almost over, you just need to push." I told her.
Matilda dropped her head hard against the rock floor.
"I can't. I just can't Becca." She breathed.
"Matilda, unless you want a dead baby, you will push." I hissed angrily.
Matilda sighed, braced her arms on both walls, and heaved with all her might. Screaming and cursing Brody's name as she did. Three minutes later, here came my nephew, screaming with all his little might. He had his Mother's voice, that's for sure. But he looked, no lie, like a carbon-copy of Brody. Quickly I turned to Braxton.
"Blanket."
Fumbling, he handed me the fleece blanket I had in my bag. I wrapped my nephew up and cradled him in my arms.
'Oh, sweet nephew. It saddens me to see you and be reminded so prominently of your father. I miss him sorely, but now I have you.' I smiled. Brody would be so proud. I turned to Matilda and held him out to her.
"Here."
Matilda didn't move.
"Matilda."
Still motionless
"Oh no." I was panicking now, I can't lose them both!
"Braxton!" I yelled.
He quickly whipped around and faced me. I handed him my nephew and turned to Matilda. I tried to revive her, I tried and tried. But it was no use, she was gone. I have lost both of them. Brody, dead or Swiped, was gone. Matilda, dead from childbirth, was gone. And now, my unnamed nephew is my only kin left. Unnamed. That word echoed in my thoughts. My anger, frustration, and fears flowed freely now. Sadness soon overtook me and my eyes stung from the welling tears. I couldn't hold them back anymore and they cam roaring down my face. Asher pushed past Braxton and cradled me.

"I lost her." I mumble into his muscular chest. "I lost Brody too. I'm a terrible leader." I cried.
"No. No, no Becca. You did the best you could. Brody was taken when he was with Brax. We barely got Brax back. And Matilda's death was far from your control. Many women die from childbirth nowadays."
"She never even told me what she wanted to name him." I whined.
"Then it's your choice. You are his only kin now."
I sniffled, it's true. I am his only kin. He is my responsibility now. Braxton now moved into the tent, holding my nephew. He was cooing and yawning as though he had just woken from his nap. Braxton handed me my nephew. I cradled him close to my chest. He yawned largely and opened his eyes.
"I think your name will be Callum. Cal for short." I said.
Asher smiled and Braxton gave me a thumbs up. I gave Callum back to Braxton while Asher and I went to bury Matilda.