Chapter 31

"So you're telling us that Coven was bombed out too?" Poppy asked.

"Yes. Before Haven there was Coven, and it was the first BioBase. But somehow they found us and they bombed Coven to the ground. We later found out that there was a rat."

Poppy and I sat silently and pondered.

"General," she said. "Do you suppose that it's the same rat as before?"

Tristan's body stiffened and his breathing became labored. He clearly didn't.

"That's not-" he stopped. "Oh my god."
He plopped in his chair and massaged the bridge of his nose. He clearly didn't suspect that. He would probably be even more shocked if he knew who it was.

"Okay." He said. "This little thing needs to stay between us three. I will get a few of my most trusted men on a private investment, but this never happened. Until we find the rat go about your day."

"Yes sir." Poppy and I said, standing and saluting the General. We walked from his office and went to Double Training. We were late and, of course, were made the examples. The instructor was a rather thin woman with bright blue hair. She must be at least seventeen or eighteen. As I have learned, no one in Haven is older than twenty-six.

"And this," she pointed to Poppy and I. "This will give you motivation to be on time." She walked to us, I noticed she carried a staff.

"Square up you two." She said.

Poppy reached for her wrist, there must have been a button she pushed, and her long sleeves shortened to a tank top. I was lost. These suits have too many fixtures. Poppy turned to me, smiled, showed me the button in the seem, and turned back around. I pushed the little button, and as my sleeves shortened, I walked to the mat.

Poppy was already on the mat, and she stood to meet me midway. She shook my hand and leaned in, whispering.

"Don't worry about Gypsy, she just wants an excuse to put two Privates up against each other. But I'm serious about training, and we use powers. If I get too...uncontrollable tap my thigh twice. Promise me you will."

She pulled away and I nodded, fearful and curious about her warning. She walked to the opposite side of the mat and stood waiting.

"Alright Privates." Gypsy said. "All powers are allowed which includes talons, fangs, spinal spikes, and any kind of bodily weapons. Standard mix martial arts."

Poppy and I nodded in acknowledgment of Gypsy's instructions.

"Fight!" She yelled.

Poppy began to crawl, her back grew spines and her skin became rigid. Her eyes became snake-like, green, her nails grew into talons, and her teeth sharpened. She looks like the monster kids imagine under their bed. She had mentioned having monster mutation, but I never thought she would look this frightening.

Panic rooted itself deep in my body as I realized I had no water, and I refuse to use blood. I couldn't hurt her like that. Then I remembered that I have bodily manipulation, I can do whatever I want! I mirrored myself in her image and this clearly threw many people off. Only a few people knew I had this power, and suddenly I felt powerful.

She growled deep in her throat as we began to circle. She eyed me, looking for a weakness. She saw one and lunged. I rolled narrowly and felt her talons graze my ankle. I ignore the sting and keep going. I ran and tackle her to the ground clawing at her legs with mine. I feel skin tear and the warmth of blood. She whimpers but growls at me deeply, fire in her eyes.

She used her feet and kicked me off her. I landed with a thud, and gasped. My breath had totally left my body. I gasped and gasped for air with no progress. I stood and began to get my breath back when Poppy tackled me from behind. She flipped me to face her, and I cried out as her talons dug deep into my wrist. I wiggled my right arm free and tapped her thigh twice. She loosened her grip, she stood and maintained her human form.

"Private, did I instruct you to stop?" Gypsy asked.

"No."

"Then why have you?" She asked.

"I refuse to hurt her further. She has enough scars without making more." Poppy said defensively, setting her jaw.

Gypsy's eyes narrowed as she walked towards us. I was still lying on the floor so I had a perfect view of everything. Gypsy and Poppy seemed to have a staring contest but neither of them blinked.

The skin on Poppy's arm began to crawl, hardening.

Gypsy's grip tightened on her staff.

All in one second, Gypsy's staff stuck Poppy's armor plated arm. Poppy twisted her arm and gained control of Gypsy's staff. Gypsy stumbled back and composed herself without another word. Poppy took me to the Medbase, where they put a couple stitches in my wrist and bandaged the rest.

"I am so sorry Becca."

"It's okay, I know you take training seriously." I said, smiling.

We continued to talk as we walked, not staying on one topic for more than a minute. We decided to go to our dorms, before rounding the corner, we heard two familiar voices.

"GovCore said that the coordinates you gave them weren't accurate."

"I swear, that was what my Holo said!"

"Enough of your arguing!" said a third voice.

Poppy's jaw dropped, mine did too. That bone chillingly familiar voice was enough to make her fall to her knees. I held her up by her arm, barely.

"We have two days before we contact them again, you make sure the coordinates are correct. GovCore has no problem getting rid of rookies."

"Yes sir."

Three sets of footsteps walked in different directions. Poppy began to shake violently in my arms, weeping.

"I knew it." She whispers. "Payton's the leader of spy's."